IICRC Pros/Cons

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
Is it worth becoming a member? Do they send much work? For carpet warranty requirement is it just as well to pay into CRI mafia? Just wondering. I found a carpet store that is looking for a cleaner and trying to get my ducks in a row.

Last edited:
Name
Brad Gouveia
I get maybe 1 or 2 jobs because of them a year. Worth it maybe, but other than the the few leads we get not worth it. I never had anyone call me wondering about the CRI warranty and to make sure I was certified, so if for the warranty reasons it is not worth getting for sure.

GCCLee

Supportive Member
Name
C. Lee
It would take some serious persuasion for me to subscribe to the Soap Opera.......

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
I've been a pretty harsh critic of the way IICRC worked in the past, but I'm coming around.
Is it worth becoming a member?
Up until now you paid to be a Certified Firm or registrant, and got little more than a listing and whatever you could do to market that yourself. Because the IICRC can't have members like an association does, it can't do anything for a registrant like an association can do for a member.

That's changing, as the Certified Firms are going to become members of the IICRCA (A for Association) in a few months. The association will be able to provide more promotional and other benefits like other associations. (One rumored benefit is that the IICRCA convention will cost members nothing, and will have no sales pitches disguised as information.)

Do they send much work?
They currently just send leads that have come in through their website. If you have a lot of other CFs in your service area those are split on a rotating basis. Some report better success at turning those leads into jobs than others.

For carpet warranty requirement is it just as well to pay into CRI mafia? Just wondering.
A lot of us refuse to join the CRI program because the CRI gets it wrong so often when it comes to telling us how to do our job. It's way cheap, but you do have to pledge to use no chemical or equipment provider that hasn't already paid to be approved by the CRI - and those companies pay thousands.

I found a carpet store that is looking for a cleaner and trying to get my ducks in a row.
Since IICRC certification is being recommended for warranty cleaning work in a lot of carpet maker's paperwork, saying "I run a firm certified by the International Cleaning Insitute and the Carpet and Rug Institute" might be worth the price.

IICRC certification is STRONGLY recommended in the CRI agreement, so if you're going the CRI way you may as well join both programs.
http://www.carpet-rug.org/documents/soa/CRI_SOA_Service_Provider_Packet.pdf

Reactions: Royal Man

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
We use iicrc recommended cleaning methods and techniques, but we are no longer a member.

That's all you gotta say.

The CRI is 25 bucks a year, it's worth it just for the icon on my website. They even rate my rugdoc gold!!!

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Take a look at the linked document. It says you have to use approved chems and equipment for the CRI certification. You'll have to check the CRI list of approved equipment to see if your equipment manufacturer buckled and paid the fees, as many have refused. For $25 there probably isn't much enforcement so you have to decide if you want to cheat.

Dan

Supportive Member
Name
Dan
Pros: NONE

Cons: You work hard for your money right? So why blow it on some orginization that does nothing....

tman7

Supportive Member
Name
Tony Gillihan
I have been in business since 2005. I have gotten one call from a "customer" asking if I was IICRC certified. Just about a week ago in fact.

Last edited:

GCCLee

Supportive Member
Name
C. Lee
Take a look at the linked document. It says you have to use approved chems and equipment for the CRI certification. You'll have to check the CRI list of approved equipment to see if your equipment manufacturer buckled and paid the fees, as many have refused. For $25 there probably isn't much enforcement so you have to decide if you want to cheat.

Purple Power Hacks quailiy so..... :evil:

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
We haven't signed up for the CRI program, but do keep up with the CF program. For us it's a tiny expense just in case someone asks and the few times somone asks we can say yes and keep moving. For others it becomes a pretty inexpensive part of their marketing,

If you don't have a huge backlog of work or an established reputation for quality work it can provide instant help the same way being an association member does; you gain credibility by being connected to a larger group that has members pledge to abide by a code of conduct.

PS: Carpet retailers seem most intereted in whether we're certified, but none have mentioned CRI certification. Maybe they don't have time to find out if there's more than one group selling certification.

GCCLee

Supportive Member
Name
C. Lee
It's a piss in a pot. No Regulation once your in!!!

Purple Power Hacks and today had the gall to ask if I was certified. I bit my tounge!!!!!!!

Great Info Oz, TY Sir! bad day

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom