Illegeric reactions

TimP

Have any of your customers had illergic reactions to your cleaning agents?

I only know of one so far, a relative who I cleaned his home. He isn't able to eat citrus. I didn't even realise he was illergic to it. Anyway he wasn't there while cleaning but after sleeping in the home he woke up with a red burning face. Just from what was in the air had caused a slight reaction. I used Judson O2 to clean their carpet.

I wonder how many others have had this happen. Seems like it should be a rare thing.

hogjowl

Idiot™
It is rare. In 21 years, I am aware of only one such incident. Asthma patient who had to go to the hospital after I cleaned her carpets. I still clean for her, but she checks into a hotel for a night when I clean for her now.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
My question is.......

If you applied the chemical and he was not home...did you completely flush out the carpet...
If it was properly removed then would he still of had the problem ....???

G

That is precisely why I do a clean water rinse!! I (knock on wood); have never that happen. I have heard a lot of horrible stories like that. I think clean water rinse and air circulation through the house could have prevented something like this IMHO.

Depending on carpet condition and how frequently it was cleaned in the past may have played a factor also. Keep your head up TimP; and try a hot clean water rinse next time.

TimP said:

I only know of one so far, a relative who I cleaned his home. He isn't able to eat citrus. I didn't even realise he was illergic to it. Anyway he wasn't there while cleaning but after sleeping in the home he woke up with a red burning face. Just from what was in the air had caused a slight reaction. I used Judson O2 to clean their carpet.

I wonder how many others have had this happen. Seems like it should be a rare thing.

You dont use the rinse in too?...that alone should of flushed it out.

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
rjfdube said:
That is precisely why I do a clean water rinse!! I (knock on wood); have never that happen. I have heard a lot of horrible stories like that. I think clean water rinse and air circulation through the house could have prevented something like this IMHO.

Depending on carpet condition and how frequently it was cleaned in the past may have played a factor also. Keep your head up TimP; and try a hot clean water rinse next time.

A fresh water rinse would probably leave more of the O2 prespray in the carpet causing those problems. I think you need the defoaming/rinsing abilities of the O2 rinse to remove the d'limonine which is difficult to remove. Obviously Tim left measurable traces of the orange solvent in the carpet for his cousin to have an illergic (I like that word) reaction. Try to use a weaker concentration (follow directions?) and rinse more thoroughly. Remember, you are breathing this stuff in also.

Rex Tyus

Sounds like an airborn issue. Not being rinsed out well would only apply if he slept on the floor. Or it could have even been a strange coincidence. Yes I have had it happen. Lady has a child that is allergic to everything. Put a sovent based protector on her furniture. kids reportedly got real sick. She never had me apply protector of any type again.

Clear water rinse as a solution.... :roll: as Curtis would say....LMOA.

TimP

Nobody here can say they rinse every drop of every bit of chemical out.....especially in the air. I used masterblend soap free to rinse, clear water rinse aint gonna do any better. It was to the citrus, and it does become airborn. I finished really late in the day so the air I'm sure had some citrus in it. They didn't open doors or anything. It wasn't so bad for him, he just had a red face in the morning. As a child if he ate citrus he's loose actual skin and blow up red and everything. He has a pretty bad reaction to citrus, very sensitive. I guess you guys just don't realise what a true illergic reaction means.

Anyways I was curious what other reactions have happened out there.

BTW resoil is what proves how much stuff you leave in carpet and I never have resoil problems and I use a greenhorn and a TM so my flushing is better than most on this board.

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
TimP said:
BTW resoil is what proves how much stuff you leave in carpet and I never have resoil problems and I use a greenhorn and a TM so my flushing is better than most on this board.
You should follow that last comment with a :) .

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Re: Allergic reactions

Tim;

A few people in the world are allergic to several chemicals we utilize.

According to a CDC emergency phone technician I talked to,
the number of complaints were grouped as follows:

1. Quat antimicrobials (leader by a wide margin)
2. Other antimicrobials (phenols, aldehydes,etc)
3. Enzymes (body reactions to any foreign proteins)
4. Solvents (aromatic paint & insecticide fumes most common, not aliphatics like OMS,etc)
5. Others (fluorochemicals would be in this group).

d-Limonene (not an aromatic) was not mentioned at the time, but it is being used a lot more today.

We have cleaning customers who clean with only hot water for some sensitive clients.

Larry

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
TimP said:

Unless you've tried a dozen different juices and noticed one that DID resoil fast, you'd never know anyway.
and would you stop being so damn insecure....

no, none us rinses 100% of what we spray down.
Not even RicKeI, (who doesn't know it) but is actually leaving MORE of his "secret sauce" on the carpet by not using some kind of rinse.
BTW, Rickie is NOT insecure. I've actually come to like the dude and his "200 ft of hose is no problem on a Recoil" lunacy...

I digress...
never had illergic ( I like that too, Art) reactions from custys that I'm aware of.
However, very early in my career I had a couple custys that made "me" aware they were VERY illergic to darn near everything.
Especially any fragrances, perfumes, deos etc.

because of that educational experience, I have "always" asked new custys if they have any illergies to detergents, deos or sanitizers.
The ones that do, generally know it.
The ones that don't know, I ask if they use all purpose cleaners, normal laundry detergents, deodorant soap, etc.
99.9% of them do and I put them at ease by telling them that our cleaning agents are the same

I also suggest they not walk bare foot on the damp carpets.
(My aunt in another state had her feet turn red and swell up because of "what ever" the CCer used on her carpets)
she has no known illergy and doesn't use any special detergents to clean with

In the future Timbo (and everyone else, if you don't), ask new custys first if they have illergies/sensitivities to detergents, deos etc before you spray.
Provide ventilation too, especially for the folks with respiratory ills

..L.T.A.

TimP

Rex Tyus said:
Tim,

Allergic :wink:

I'm glad you guys are enjoying my inabillity to spell certain words, and my lazyness to go and check words elsewhere. English was my worst subject and I really DGAS about spelling. My english teachers constantly told me the proper way to spell certain words. But I to this day still ignore it cause IRDGAS.

And I'm not insecure like you're thinking. It just gripes me when these clear water rinse guys think they are really getting everything out. But just like with my spelling lunacy......I'm not gonna change and niether are they.

TimP

At least I don't have to go to a tanning bed to be secure. :shock:

rhino1

Name
Chris Bolin
water we have here is pretty hard, I have never just used water to rinse carpets so I can't say it won't work. I might try it if I had a softener system in the truck though.

I think we all should ask about allergies before doing any cleaning, don't count on the cust. to inform you, sometimes they just don't think about it.

That is ANY allergies, not just cleaning chems. Maybe you fed your dog before going to work and the cust. is extremely allergic. They don't think about it because you don't walk in the door with Fido, but you could be carrying his hair or skin cells.

Allergies are not to be messed with. My wife's 8 year old nephew died last year from peanut butter allergy and they still don't know where he got exposed to it.

Rex Tyus

C Pennington said:
Save you some money and put on some rub on tan...lol

That stuff is for the face. Sun can age the sensitive skin on the face causing premature wrinkling. 8)

Rex Tyus

Lyman said:
Do I sense some sexual tension here between you two.

Dude I must say you have a strange train of thought.

But you are from the adirondacks right? That would explain alot. :shock:

Walt

TimP said:

Are you certain it was the citrus? I have had clients request no citrus because they are allergic, but it is rare. You would think that they would be aware of such a common food and cleaner. I

I wonder how many people have had minor chemical reactions and haven't said anything and either didn't make the connection or just never called the cleaner back. Further, I wonder how many people have erroneously believed it was the cleaner and it was something else.

B&BGaryC

Name
B&BGaryC
One of our guys, after taking doug heiferman's class starting asking people if they are allergic to oranges before using an orange cleaner. One guy said yes... He said he had never heard of that but was just asking a courtesy question...

TimP

Walt said:
TimP said:

Are you certain it was the citrus? I have had clients request no citrus because they are allergic, but it is rare. You would think that they would be aware of such a common food and cleaner. I

I wonder how many people have had minor chemical reactions and haven't said anything and either didn't make the connection or just never called the cleaner back. Further, I wonder how many people have erroneously believed it was the cleaner and it was something else.

I know it's citrus cause he can't eat it for sure. He was one of those babys that had a hard time cause he was sensitive to everything. It's a wonder he's still alive to this day growing up when he did. Cause he's around 50 years old. And back then I'm sure it was harder to find stuff that is for people with such sensitivity.

steve r

tim,

next time your prespraying see if you can tell how much you overspray onto other objects like bed linen and walls.im willing to bet its an overspray issue.you may be using to much pressure causing your prespray to become airborne.

just a guess btw.

Rex Tyus

I still say this is a very rare allergy. I always like giving Tim a hard time but it is doubtful there was anything he could have done short of being aware not to use a citrus based cleaning agent. I try to ask such questions but in ALL honesty I am not any where near 100% on doing so. It could have happened to anyone of us.

I will say this, if I HAD an allergy that was really serious no one would get the chance to ask me I WOULD TELL THE POOR BASTARD UP FRONT. People fail to realize their own PERSONAL responsibility. If the customer would have told him PRIOR to him cleaning, he could have used something safer. Something with some butyl in it instead of that deadly citrus oil. :mrgreen:

Sorry Les, I couldn't resist :twisted:

Back
Top Bottom