I’m hitting the wall

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
Doc Holliday said:
Like they were doing extra work and not paying you your share? or Worse? :?:

I did some sub work for a national contractor at a Michael’s store. The manager told me one of the floor crews broke into the safe at a store in Kansas City when they were supposed to be refinishing the floor. I’m sure background check would have prevented this.

I don’t use subs for anything but the college turn and pay them 2/3 of the jobs. Subs only work when you have huge volume and logistics are more important than a constant level of quality. If I was operating in a major city I might be more open to the idea.

LisaWagnerCRS

Name
Lisa Wagner
ACE said:
Ken Snow said:
You seem to have convinced yourself of some things are likely to keep you in the status quo. Not sure of the purpose of the post.

I guess I just needed to vent. Again, I do not expect you to understand this but, if you’re not born with, or do not marry into money you have to work your azz off to build a business and there is a huge learning curve. You make it sound like you built haghopenis from the ground up with nothing but your superior intellect and the power of positive thought. I’m sure you are a world class business man, but you don’t know anything about sweat equity.

And don’t talk to me about respect you arrogant prick. I paid that CHIMP a living wage bought all his meals at work, gave him the opportunity to learn a trade, dipped into saving and used credit cards to give him hours in the dead of winter plus, gave him $50 cash for fooking Christmas.

You know... your employee probably has a list of what he felt he did for you also. We all have our stories we tell - and every situation has 3 sides, yours, his, and then the truth somewhere in between.

This is like any cleaning job - the more care you put in up front to pre-inspect and communicate with the client, the better the job comes into place.

If you hire someone without a clear idea of what GOOD work is, and the type of person you are looking for, that's no different than going into a bar already drunk to hit on the first woman you see, and then getting pissed because she didn't end up being the love of your life you wanted to marry.

If you want to attract and develop a quality team - or even get one dependable employee - you need to do a little work up front on clear expectations.

Whenever I have cleaners telling me how crappy their employees are... I always know it's because the "bosses" are crappy. If you want better, you gotta look in the mirror and change the message you are sending out there. And you know what, when you see yourself as running a GREAT company, that cares about its clients, its work, and its employees - you will feel you deserve to be charging more money.

There are lots of veterans looking for work. I would prospect for military workers. They've already proven they can work hard, follow procedures, and be detailed. If you give them the opportunity of some flexible hours, some commission opportunities, and raises based on meeting goals you lay out - even if you begin as only part time with them, it's a good place to start.

If you were higher end, and had a big client database, I'd tell you to post for help in your newsletter... but if you are really a bottom feeder, that might not be where to get the best candidates.

Raise your prices 20%. Don't tell anyone, just do it. If anyone bitches, tell them it's the oil prices. Then you can both bitch about Obama.

Then after a few weeks you will have some extra funds, and when you are in a place with extra funds you think a little clearer. Plus... you will see that very few blink at the price change, and it will shift your perspective.

By the way... I didn't marry into money, wasn't born into money, and have worked my ass off for decades in building up several businesses. Hope that counts as sweat equity - LOL. You obviously know nothing about Ken's story.

It's a shame that your anger at your employee and at your life makes you feel like you need to attack people here who are just trying to share advice. Life is not fair. There are some schmucks out there looking for a handout. Big deal. Get over it, and put that anger into doing it better so you will make more money... then you can bitch about something else.

Lisa

LisaWagnerCRS

Name
Lisa Wagner
Brian R said:
Don't hire employees....Not worth the hassle.

Wouldn't you rather support another Owner Operator who actually cares about the work they do? AND maybe understands a little bit of the business part so he will respect what you do?

Not worth the hassle? It's not a hassle.

Building a team is a marketing function. You make an offer to attract the right ones, and filter out the wrong ones. If you are a price-shopper marketer, only offering lowest price for jobs, attracting crummy clients... then you are likely going to offer your employees low wages and cut lots of corners to hamper their ability to do great work. The fish rots from the head.

I am always amazed at people who have this message in their head "who in the world would want to work as a cleaner for me?!?" as if it's the worst job in the world - then they wonder why no one wants it - and when they leave they say "what the hell, look at all I did for him?!?"

Saying employees are a hassle is saying you are too lazy to put in the work to build the right team. And when you have the right team, that is the only way to truly leverage the growth of a company.

Being an owner-operator is pretty much having a job. When you get sick and stop working - the money stops. You think about your company 24/7, and you are too tired physically to do the strategic thinking to turn things around. No one builds success in this business all alone. At the very least they have a wife or partner to help (by the way, that is a "team"... and they should get a paycheck).

If you have no idea how to even begin the process of getting yourself off the truck - I've been posting lessons on that over at http://www.gottnow.com- it's free stuff.

By the way... subcontracting is no different - you need to define the expectations, and attract the right ones. But saying it's too much of a hassle to have employees is ridiculous.

Lisa

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I don't think a fish quite does you justice Lisa, I'm thinking Lioness is a better representative of your bb personna. :p

Angry-lioness-qpps_556637392840681.LG.jpg

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
LOL Richard- A Lioness perhaps, an incredibly fast typist for sure and a very organized mind without question.

Thank you Lisa for pointing out much more eloquently again, what I wasn't able to do so soundly. Hopefully you won't be called an arrogant prick (or gender equivelant), and told to ACE off in a PM.

Ken
Ps I married (actually divorced now) into debt, not money lol.

LisaWagnerCRS

Name
Lisa Wagner
I actually didn't expect the first replies to be nice ones - LOL... I was looking for the "fook you! my situation is different!" post... so thanks guys.

I grew up with a few alcoholic whiners who were always saying how the WORLD failed them. It makes me really irritated when I hear the same "poor me" stories over and over and over again (especially if they are in my own head!) :shock:

So I tend to cut to the source to shut that crap off... because it's the only way to solve things. And the source is usually the stories we play around in our heads of why our life/business sucks - not recognizing that the life we have is the one we all built with our own two hands. So if it sucks, that's only one person's fault... and you better damn well change things to make it any different.

Hugs and kisses,
Lisa

calvinkickass.gif

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Yes LIsa you write your insults very pretty. Congrats.

I have a problem taking advice from someone who quotes a convicted rapist in their signature line and then play the "high and mighty" game with anyone who has a different opinion than theirs.

How you do anything is how you do everything. Do you even know what his prices are? :roll:

I'm not defending him....because he was shitty to Ken for no reason. I'm just sayin.

Having employees are a hassle for more reasons than what have been stated.

Saying that someone is too lazy to put in the work to build the right team has no real idea of the alternate resources available.

Yer perkyness rubs me the wrong way. lol.

It's not so much that you're a bitch or anything...it's just your smug attitude. "oh, yer goin to buy my chicken, ooohhh"

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave

It's not so much that you're a bitch or anything...it's just your smug attitude. "oh, yer goin to buy my chicken, ooohhh"
Really? Heck that's one quality I like the most. :shock:

Really.

:mrgreen:

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
LOL- I was going to say the same thing Richard.

Funny thing is I like Brian and Lisa a lot, though I know they have their "thing" going on. If Lisa was a guy she would be called tough or maybe strongly opinionated and certainly that se doesn't suffer fools, but as a woman it feels like many men want to use the "B" label. Hopefully within another 50 years there will be virtually no gender bias anymore and pople will just be people~ nice, not so nice etc., and it won't be called into question what color, gender or religious affiliation they might or might not have.

Ken

joe harper

Name
joe harper
LisaWagnerCRS said:
I actually didn't expect the first replies to be nice ones - LOL... I was looking for the "fook you! my situation is different!" post... so thanks guys.

I grew up with a few alcoholic whiners who were always saying how the WORLD failed them. It makes me really irritated when I hear the same "poor me" stories over and over and over again (especially if they are in my own head!) :shock:

So I tend to cut to the source to shut that crap off... because it's the only way to solve things. And the source is usually the stories we play around in our heads of why our life/business sucks - not recognizing that the life we have is the one we all built with our own two hands. So if it sucks, that's only one person's fault... and you better damn well change things to make it any different.

Hugs and kisses,
Lisa

calvinkickass.gif

"iS YOUR MIDDLE NAME cLaIrEEsE....?"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMVqIISyp60

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
LisaWagnerCRS said:
[Being an owner-operator is pretty much having a job. When you get sick and stop working - the money stops. You think about your company 24/7, and you are too tired physically to do the strategic thinking to turn things around. No one builds success in this business all alone. At the very least they have a wife or partner to help (by the way, that is a "team"... and they should get a paycheck).

Being an O/O is far beyond "having a job". I had jobs working for employers when I was young and I was fired from them. Nobody tells me what to do now and I make a lot of money. When I vacation at my beach condo no cleaning income is coming in, that much is true. No problems are being created either that I will have to deal with when I come home. My customers could call Ken's company or a hundred others here. They call me because they get me.
My job requires me to stay in shape for hard work at all times. At 55 I work like I did at 25. That is a very good thing physically, and this is what our bodies were built for, not sitting at a desk for nine hours a day bossing people around.

joe harper

Name
joe harper
Brian R said:
Yes LIsa you write your insults very pretty. Congrats.

I have a problem taking advice from someone who quotes a convicted rapist in their signature line and then play the "high and mighty" game with anyone who has a different opinion than theirs.

How you do anything is how you do everything. Do you even know what his prices are? :roll:

I'm not defending him....because he was shitty to Ken for no reason. I'm just sayin.

Having employees are a hassle for more reasons than what have been stated.

Saying that someone is too lazy to put in the work to build the right team has no real idea of the alternate resources available.

Carful ...here mArY... :!:

Ms pErkY...is one of the uNtoUchaBleS...here :idea:

If you fIght fiRe with fiRe..you will be LABLED a sExIsT... :roll:

JUST..."remember"..."It is LONLEY @ the tOp"... :lol:

There is NONE...loNlEy-ER...than Lisa... :oops:

I have tried to save HER.. :cry: BUT...her tEstRonE lEvEl'S are toooooo HIGH... :mrgreen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lscp1GCjUQ

joe harper

Name
joe harper
Art Kelley said:
LisaWagnerCRS said:
[Being an owner-operator is pretty much having a job. When you get sick and stop working - the money stops. You think about your company 24/7, and you are too tired physically to do the strategic thinking to turn things around. No one builds success in this business all alone. At the very least they have a wife or partner to help (by the way, that is a "team"... and they should get a paycheck).

Being an O/O is far beyond "having a job". I had jobs working for employers when I was young and I was fired from them. Nobody tells me what to do now and I make a lot of money. When I vacation at my beach condo no cleaning income is coming in, that much is true. No problems are being created either that I will have to deal with when I come home. My customers could call Ken's company or a hundred others here. They call me because they get me.
My job requires me to stay in shape for hard work at all times. At 55 I work like I did at 25. That is a very good thing physically, and this is what our bodies were built for, not sitting at a desk for nine hours a day bossing people around.

"You tell them ART..." :!:
Being a dInOsaUR....has its PERKS.... !gotcha! 8) :lol:

Ps ..I BET you never had to sleep in a Car bEd... :shock:

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Ken Snow said:
LOL- I was going to say the same thing Richard.

Funny thing is I like Brian and Lisa a lot, though I know they have their "thing" going on. If Lisa was a guy she would be called tough or maybe strongly opinionated and certainly that se doesn't suffer fools, but as a woman it feels like many men want to use the "B" label. Hopefully within another 50 years there will be virtually no gener bias anymore and pople will just be people~ nice, not so nice etc., and it won't be called into question what color, gender or religious affiliation they might or might not have.

Ken

Ken, you know you are my favorite....(shhh don't tell Rich) But men and women act differently. That's just the way God made us. So labels as such will forever be utilized.

I didn't mean to call her that...although I alluded to her getting close....but I have no problem telling someone they are acting the way they are toward me.

She has a hardon for me for some reason (is that better?) and I just can't shake her.
I'm not sure what I ever did to her....but whattyagonna do?

She's the female Crowley. :mrgreen: ....No offense Crowley. :lol:

Cue perky pants to come on now and dance around the subject as usual. :roll:

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
OMG, The Rug nerds are ganging up on me.

You don’t know me Lisa. You have no idea how I treat employees. What in my original post makes you think I have a victim mentality (poor me)? Was it the part about working 7 days a week? You want to talk about a victim mentality, how about someone that makes a point to be unavailable for work then collects unemployment because they were fired "without cause”. You think I’m a bastard to work for? Then, why not find a better job?

lisa.wagner_01-2.jpg

The only reason you get a free pass here ,is because you are carpet cleaning industry hot.
That’s like the one female guard in a male prison.

So, ACE off you self righteous bitch.

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
Come to think of it, you’re just like that CHIMP I fired. Your going start complaining about how I attacked you “without cause”, just like I did to poor Ken.

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
Chris Adkins said:
And Ladies and gentlemen, we have a meltdown!

I am not looking for a poor Ken- not sure where you might have gotten that from. I even attempted to appologise to you and you told me to ACE off. Every post you made in this thread screamed victim and prima donna more and more. You are probably a great guy who is truly looking for help, but you instigated the meltdown, and now are continuing to blame others. I know I can be an ass at times and try to right it when I am~ can you?

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
See.....I knew there was a reason Ken was my favorite. shiteatinggrin

Ace. It's ok bro...it's just words on a screen. Ivebeensold

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
Ken Snow said:
[quote="Chris Adkins":dvmp8ssy]And Ladies and gentlemen, we have a meltdown!

I am not looking for a poor Ken- not sure where you might have gotten that from. I even attempted to appologise to you and you told me to ACE off. Every post you made in this thread screamed victim and prima donna more and more. You are probably a great guy who is truly looking for help, but you instigated the meltdown, and now are continuing to blame others. I know I can be an ass at times and try to right it when I am~ can you?[/quote:dvmp8ssy]

I’m the prima donna?

Here is yet another thing you don’t get.
I don’t need your approval to sleep good at night.

joe harper

Name
joe harper
NO MELTDOWN....!

He is just pissed ...because he the KIDS nowadays have such a SENSE OF ENTITLEMENT..!

He tried to do the right thing for the kid..&..the guy took the EASY WAY OUT...a Hand-out..!
This generation has been TRAINED...to work the sYsTeM... :oops:

ACE is NOT a victim... :!:He is just disgusted with lack of character in some of our youth..!

Go ahead and VENT...brother....!!!!

I FEEL YOUR PAIN... !gotcha!

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
I'm sure there are a lot that do Joe, those are the ones to get rid of asap or better yet hire better (pay more).

I am glad u sleep well ACE and would want nothing less than that- not that you give a shit what i like lol.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

LisaWagnerCRS

Name
Lisa Wagner
ACE said:
OMG, The Rug nerds are ganging up on me.

You don’t know me Lisa. You have no idea how I treat employees. What in my original post makes you think I have a victim mentality (poor me)? Was it the part about working 7 days a week? You want to talk about a victim mentality, how about someone that makes a point to be unavailable for work then collects unemployment because they were fired "without cause”. You think I’m a bastard to work for? Then, why not find a better job?

lisa.wagner_01-2.jpg

The only reason you get a free pass here ,is because you are carpet cleaning industry hot.
That’s like the one female guard in a male prison.

So, ACE off you self righteous bitch.

Thank you! That was exactly what I was expecting! :mrgreen:

Just to clarify... you made mention about being a bottom feeder, and calling your employees Chimps, and bringing up that you do everything for them, and they take advantage of you. That you have no time to have a manual and procedures. That's where the victim story came from. I know it well - we all fall into that trap. And I have not said anything to you that I've not said to myself a million times, to remind myself that I better take that anger I had "at" others and use it to make something different.

By the way, do think about raising your prices, whatever they area (I don't know what bottom feeder rates are that you mentioned).

You can call me a self-righteous bitch any time... call it like you see it! (That's what I do.)

Lisa

LisaWagnerCRS

Name
Lisa Wagner
Brian R said:
[quote="Ken Snow":32hgx63j]LOL- I was going to say the same thing Richard.

Funny thing is I like Brian and Lisa a lot, though I know they have their "thing" going on. If Lisa was a guy she would be called tough or maybe strongly opinionated and certainly that se doesn't suffer fools, but as a woman it feels like many men want to use the "B" label. Hopefully within another 50 years there will be virtually no gener bias anymore and pople will just be people~ nice, not so nice etc., and it won't be called into question what color, gender or religious affiliation they might or might not have.

Ken

Ken, you know you are my favorite....(shhh don't tell Rich) But men and women act differently. That's just the way God made us. So labels as such will forever be utilized.

I didn't mean to call her that...although I alluded to her getting close....but I have no problem telling someone they are acting the way they are toward me.

She has a hardon for me for some reason (is that better?) and I just can't shake her.
I'm not sure what I ever did to her....but whattyagonna do?

She's the female Crowley. :mrgreen: ....No offense Crowley. :lol:

Cue perky pants to come on now and dance around the subject as usual. :roll:[/quote:32hgx63j]

You're such a bitch Brian. :mrgreen:

Lisa

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
LOL- Brian a bitch- love it! He is a little narcissistic like me so he's probably happy. somewhat amus

Lisa - You forgot to mention that $50 christmas bonus. Now I don't believe in them, I prefer to bonus on goals, but from what I have heard those type of bonuses are generally equal to 1-2 weeks of pay. So is that the living wage he wa paying~ $50 a week or 2? That wpuls eqaute to about 1/3 of a days wage for our entry level Carpet Cleaning Assistants.

Chris A

Name
Chris
HARPER said:
NO MELTDOWN....!

He is just pissed ...because he the KIDS nowadays have such a SENSE OF ENTITLEMENT..!

He tried to do the right thing for the kid..&..the guy took the EASY WAY OUT...a Hand-out..!
This generation has been TRAINED...to work the sYsTeM... :oops:

ACE is NOT a victim... :!:He is just disgusted with lack of character in some of our youth..!

Go ahead and VENT...brother....!!!!

I FEEL YOUR PAIN... !gotcha!

Don't gimme that generational bullshit gramps, I'm 24 for Christ's sake...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom