Ink on "Ultra Suede"

Johnny

Supportive Member
Name
Johnny
Anybody know how to get ink out of "ultra suede"?

Much obliged.

PCCN

Had success on this fabric as well as numerous other furniture using Jon Don's Matrix Breakdown. Works very fast and rinses clean.

Shorty

RIP
Name
Shorty Glanville
Spot' n Boost from Vac-A-Way is the ducks guts.

And it's water soluble.

Simply an amazing product.

Shorty.

Johnny

Supportive Member
Name
Johnny
Customer assures me this "ultra suede" piece is leather, not fabric.

Have not inspected this piece yet, but rest of furnishings are very high-end.

Thanks again.

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
have a gallon of spot n boost and i can't get it to remove anything. maybe i'm on the wrong side of the planet.

gene

KevinL

Supportive Member
Name
Kevin Leach
Isn't that amazing how one guy will say a product will do magic and another guy can't get it to do anything. Maybe both of those jugs should be sent in for testing and see if there was a bad batch. Or maybe there was 1 good batch.

Giorgio

Name
Giorgio
KevinL said:
Isn't that amazing how one guy will say a product will do magic and another guy can't get it to do anything. Maybe both of those jugs should be sent in for testing and see if there was a bad batch. Or maybe there was 1 good batch.

I'll 2nd that.

Luis Gomez

Name
Luis Gomez
GeneMiller said:
have a gallon of spot n boost and i can't get it to remove anything. maybe i'm on the wrong side of the planet.

gene[/quote

spot n boost is my go to oil and all spot's that do not come out with prespray remover.
The bottom half of my belt clip bottle has hell gel. This combo will remove most oil based
stains.
Luis

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Customer assures me this "ultra suede" piece is leather, not fabric.

did you find out yet if it's real skin yet or not?

and would any of the suggestions above be different if it was real natural suede?
..i don't know this, but I think many were thinking the same as me..Ultra-Suede = some type of synthetic mircofiber

and "IF" that's the case, it should be easy to be a hero with a little citrus gel and rinse extract

side note;

"Isn't that amazing how one guy will say a product will do magic and another guy can't get it to do anything. "

"I'll 2nd that."

and "I'll" 3rd that
think I'll start a new thread regarding the phenomenon

..L.T.A.

Johnny

Supportive Member
Name
Johnny
I googled ultra suede. It's a brand name of microfiber.

I haven't seen it yet and probably won't until I do the job.

Thanks for all the replies.

Shorty

RIP
Name
Shorty Glanville
Johnny said:

Thanks for all the replies.

Are you competent enough to tackle proper suede/nubuck with ink, given that if it is genuine leather, you are dealing with an "unfinished leather" as such.??

This might be the time to pass this job on if you are not capable of restoration.

You don't want to own a suite.

Shorty.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni

I'm sure that's why many (most all?) of us were thinking microfiber

and again in case it matters ....does it make a difference if it's genuine leather
(which I don't know chit about :oops: )

or microfiber...
which I LOVE to clean ...cause it cleans like a dream and is down right EASY to be a hero with.
It's the closest thing to the old Herculon fiber of a generation ago as far as releasing soil, spots, spills and stains.

i should note there are some flocked MF pieces out there, and they require attention to avoid pile distortion/damage ...but fortunately , they're few and far between in my ville

..l.T.A.

Johnny

Supportive Member
Name
Johnny
Where's the best place to learn leather care?

I don't get many requests, but it might be kinda interesting.

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
I have a basic Leather Care and Maintenance Guide that I can email to you. Just send me an email and I will attach it to the reply.

There are a few 1/2 day classes and also more involved IICRC classes. I think Lonnie McDonald, Tony Wheelwright and Steve Poulos teach the IICRC courses. I always learn something from Steve.

Roger Koh

Customer assures me this "ultra suede" piece is leather, not fabric. Have not inspected this piece yet, but rest of furnishings are very high-end.

Most likely is “nubuck” in this case, rather than suede.

a lot of "micro suede" fabrics are a laminated product. Solvents tend to cause separation/ air bubbles.

Solvents of any kind will cause rings to dyed leathers with color loss, be it on suede or nubuck. It will also certainly leach out the fatliquor causing dryness and stiffness with loss of its “finger writing effect”, which need replenishing thereafter.

Ball point or Marker?

Ballpoint ink is easier to remove than permanent marker; marker etches with solvent and micro-pigment besides dyestuff. However they are still removable much easier than the smooth aniline leather types with no fear of finish damages. Only taking care that we are removing dyes stains from dyed leather; moving one may move the others too. The next consideration is how the naps should feel with our fingers tip thereafter.

and again in case it matters ....does it make a difference if it's genuine leather

A leather-safe nubuck or suede ink removal system will remove ink from genuine leather safely.
The same system will also remove ink from other fabric including, wool, nylon and other synthetic but not rayon or silk.
A solvent or alcohol based ink removal for fabric will most likely cause finish removal and dye bleeding from genuine dyed leathers, including pure aniline, nubuck and suede

I’m pretty sure you will regret if you actually try, if it’s genuine leathers. Rather take pictures, and get some practical advice before attempting it; depending on the location of the stain, you may end up doing the entire sofa to even out the appearance; certainly spot cleaning it is out of question.

This job is likening to “cutting a pound of flesh without shedding a drop of blood”, is that delicate; but still can be done with a price.

I am preparing for the worst scenario, but still hopeful that it can be done the first-time-right.

So let’s see some pictures before further speculating.

Roger Koh
info@leatherdoctor.com

Name
Noble Carpet Cleaners
Most common (see it all the time) is ball point ink. I keep VacAways cyclone with me in a flip top bottle. Couple of drops, let it sit for a minute or two. Get your uphostery tool right up on it and let more cyclone drip on the ink and get drawn into the tool. Lots of variations of this technique. I keep a toothbrush in my upholstery bucket of crap, it's very soft and can work an ink spot/line if you dip it into your solution, shake the solution out so it doesn't soak the piece and work it. You will know very quickly if you can move the ink, if you can move it stay the course and keep on it without soaking the piece or distorting the pile of the fabric. Fake suede, fun stuff.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom