Innovation or just a different paint scheme and name?

Bob Foster

Most of us look forward to seeing new products that serve our industry. As a member of this board I have heard and witnessed lots of horror stories about manufacturers and dealers who have proved to me without a doubt that they really were not acting in the best interests of their customers.

Dealers can only sell and service what is sent down the pipe to them by manufacturers. This forces them to be the buffer for all the grief they get from their disappointed customers. If the dealer themselves happens to be inept then it makes things far worse.

One of the best things that has happened to carpet cleaners is these internet forums. They can not only use the resources of this forum to find solutions to problems but widely and loudly voice their opinions to other carpet cleaners. The shallow manufacturers or distributors discount these remarks and the smart ones listen and improve. Now they are listening.

So to pass the absolutely brutal and unforgiving scrutiny of the marketplace, for which this board is a formidable voice, manufacturers are making better products.

If a manufacturer is going to bring out something they claim to be new and improved, it better be or in this challenged market it's sure failure.

We will never agree on everything we say here but we definitely have a good idea of who the better products and manufactures are.

As a carpet cleaner list what are the most important things that a dealer can for you?

As a carpet cleaner list what are the most important things that a manufacturer can do for you?

(Buying kegs of beer at a Mikefest is appreciated but that's not what I mean)

TimP

As a cleaner buying from distributors the things I expect are as follows.

1. If you sell me something and TELL me it will work for something I need it for, it better do the job and do it well.

2. If you sell me something and it's not up to date at the time you sell it (as in a piece of equipment) offer a discount or upgrade said item to the latest revision. (had that happen with my omni). Greenie will take care of you in this department for sure!!

3. Give me a reasonable price and look out for my intersts. My biggest gripe is if you are within a small amount of merchandise for free shipping call me and let me know how much I'd need to buy instead of trying to rip me off by charging me shipping when you have policies other wise.

4. If there is a problem with something you sold me, fix it. Warranty is there for a reason. Also don't sell me something just to get rid of it cause you know it's junk and will make it just outside of the warranty period.

5. Send me my goods as soon as reasonably possbile. (So far I haven't had much to complain about this one)

6. Communicate and keep up to date on what's going on in the industry as in machines and chemicals. As a distributor you're supposed to know our industry better than us.

As a manufacturer you need to keep up to date and give us what us cleaners demand, in other words listen and see a need a fill it!!! Also if there is a problem with your stuff FIX it. Also be competitive in other words not greedy but still make money we will remember you when someone sells something exactly like you sell and you over charged us.

I'm sure there is more but that's what I can think of.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom