Instagram and hashtags

FredC

Village Idiot
I must not have explained myself adequately...............that is not what we are using instagram for....

we want it as part of being social and as an imagehost/propagator for other connected platforms

not as an advertisement........so in that sense the tags should be obvious and natural

more on tagging
http://blog.instagram.com/post/17674993957/instagram-tips-using-hashtags

Last edited:
Reactions: Desk Jockey

FredC

Village Idiot
better long term strategy than some carpet and tile pics....way too many chances where you are at doing the things you do to take pics of mainly cool stuff...at least for the account we are talking about

still interested in wills take on instagram tagging

just don't want you f'n up this particular aspect

Mikey P

Administrator
oatmeal31.jpg

Reactions: Scott S.

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
Not to get off topic, but.......

Peaches and cream?

Lol...

better long term strategy than some carpet and tile pics....way too many chances where you are at doing the things you do to take pics of mainly cool stuff...

Okay, sooooo maybe I get this Instagram a little... Basically, the photo he takes while out and about shopping is helping(seo wise) the establishment in the photo? Would this be because of geo targeting(or what ever it's called).

On Mike's side(seo wise) he's getting help from people seeing his name/biz over and over?

Sorry if I'm off... I know nothing about instagram.

Reactions: Mikey P

CanadianRuss

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Teskey
On a more serious note. I have been using Instagram with Facebook advertising lately. A new option with Facebook ads.
The insight data is impressive

Last edited:

darcie smith

Name
darcie smith
IMG_7885.JPG
This is today's Instagram post for us. I can't say I'm an authority on hashtags, but I always do one for #carpetcleaning, one for the business name, one for each of our main cleaning target areas, and then whatever the picture might remind me of. Since this one is thanksgiving, I did a couple holiday phrases. If it was a picture of the Pro1200, I would have used #Pro1200SE and #sapphirescientific and #truckmount in addition to the stuff I always use. All hashtags do is make the post searchable. If someone in your area wants a carpet cleaner, they might search by hashtags like carpetcleaning or carsonvalleycarpetcleaning or just carsonvalley. You'll have to play around and see if you get any hits from it, or ask WillS what he recommends.

Scott S.

Supportive Member
Name
Scott
View attachment 9249
This is today's Instagram post for us. I can't say I'm an authority on hashtags, but I always do one for #carpetcleaning, one for the business name, one for each of our main cleaning target areas, and then whatever the picture might remind me of. Since this one is thanksgiving, I did a couple holiday phrases. If it was a picture of the Pro1200, I would have used #Pro1200SE and #sapphirescientific and #truckmount in addition to the stuff I always use. All hashtags do is make the post searchable. If someone in your area wants a carpet cleaner, they might search by hashtags like carpetcleaning or carsonvalleycarpetcleaning or just carsonvalley. You'll have to play around and see if you get any hits from it, or ask WillS what he recommends.

damn your smart hunny!!

Reactions: darcie smith

WillS

Supportive Member
Name
Will
Sorry, we have been so busy moving and Holiday bookings, haven't had a time to respond. Darcie's got it.

I use between 5 and 20 hashtags per post. Depends on how lazy or not I'm feeling. Usually always hash tag the city your in along with these others and more... #lasvegas #henderson #northvegas #carpetcleaning #rugcleaning #deepcleaning #naturaldry #tile #professional #services #clean #ecofriendly etc. etc. etc..

I hash tag for the following reasons: showing up in people's "newsfeed" which increases our likes, followers per posting. Hash tags are searchable, not just on instagram. I can't verify, but I believe it helps with search results along with the Geo-tagging. I mean we aren't doing much SEO besides for Social Media.

Cool thing is, alot of companies that use Instagram in Vegas, Henderson follow us on Instagram when I do a new posting using something like #lasvegas or #vegas #smallbusiness #service, etc. Liking and following other companies Instagram pages in your town also helps build up a good following. Other than that, Instagram is for SELFIES, 20-something females, and celebrities. I don't use it for any direct advertising. Now if I could get Khloe Kardashian to like one of our before/after carpet cleaning pictures, we'd be in business. :lol:

WillS

Supportive Member
Name
Will
I signed up for a Pinterest account once, but didn't follow through with it. I know people use to to get ideas for decorating, tips on how to make crap, etc.. We use TUMBLR for blogs, posting before/after pics. Basically, I only use Tumblr for SEO. It allows you to create anchor text backlinks, geotag location on your images or posts.

Reactions: Mikey P

darcie smith

Name
darcie smith
And Pinterest?

What the hell is that for?
Oh, Mikey, you're cute. Pinterest is endless entertainment for women the way that YouTube is for men. It allows us to electronically hoard and organize recipes we'll never try and crafts we'll never make. It has links to every sort of content imaginable. I don't see it having a lot of relevant business use unless you're personally using it to store info graphics on the best times to post to which social media platforms. I created a page for C&S, and I post informational articles I find about the types of services we offer, pictures of pretty rugs and pretty tile patterns, and cleaning tips, but I don't really think it's going to generate new clients for the business.

darcie smith

Name
darcie smith
Since Christmas is coming and there are mostly guys here, I will give you a tip about Pinterest: if you don't know what to get the women in your life, check their Pinterest pages. If they have a Pinterest account you can guarantee they have a board called "Jewelry" and one called "Buy Me This" and one called "Things I Love." Amazon wish lists are great, but most people aren't nearly as prolific with those as they are with their Pinterest boards. I have 50 things on my Amazon list and over 5,000 pins on 80 boards on Pinterest. You can learn everything about someone from what they post.

And if the women in your life are technophobes or don't have Pinterest I suggest you buy them a smart phone to replace the old flip model...or socks...

Reactions: Desk Jockey

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
My wife has an old school phone but won't upgrade. She fight technology but when it's forced on her uses it. I'd buy her a smart phone but she'd just take it back. She is too picky with her socks.

When I give her gifts I include the receipt to make it easy for the exchange. She never keeps what I buy her. LOL

Scott S.

Supportive Member
Name
Scott
Since Christmas is coming and there are mostly guys here, I will give you a tip about Pinterest: if you don't know what to get the women in your life, check their Pinterest pages. If they have a Pinterest account you can guarantee they have a board called "Jewelry" and one called "Buy Me This" and one called "Things I Love." Amazon wish lists are great, but most people aren't nearly as prolific with those as they are with their Pinterest boards. I have 50 things on my Amazon list and over 5,000 pins on 80 boards on Pinterest. You can learn everything about someone from what they post.

And if the women in your life are technophobes or don't have Pinterest I suggest you buy them a smart phone to replace the old flip model...or socks...

hint taken. haha

Reactions: Lee Stockwell

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom