Interview with Jim Pemberton 10-18-06

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Scott, more and more manufacturers are getting on board, and working on stuff right now. (I know stuff I can't say, sorry) Remember, this is for carpets manufactured after January 1, 2007. Those carpets are not in the cleaning cycle that soon. Its a trend that is moving fast, but not a tidal wave, yet. The best thing a cleaner can do is begin to "get his house in order" in training and procedures as these things unfold.

Mikey P

Administrator
Is there any proof that a carpet must be left in a neutral (pH7) state after cleaning?

If a preconditioner is used with a pH of 10, and it is flushed with an emulsifier having a pH of 9.1, is there any proof that it will be more likely to resoil?

If I pH test the carpet 1 week after, and it proves to be 7.0pH without the aid of an acid rinse, how does that affect the above question?

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
I wish it were that easy. Its not just the pH reading, but the amount of buffering present in that alkalinity. Great article in the latest "Cleaning and Restoration" Magazine by Duncan Bennett from Australia. The issue isn't just pH (under 10 is what the American Association of Textile Chemists and Colorists like to see), but also, as I've mentioned, surfactant residue. We are always hearing "How long will it take to dry?" But the SECOND issue is how long it stays clean.

Mikey P

Administrator
I know it may hurt your sales team at the shop to say this in public, But I would love tro know how a guy like you would set up a "Dream Truck"

Please list the must haves....

And what type of mount YOU would use..

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
More info on the pH question. If I had a choice between using a detergent free cleaner and clear rinse with soft water or the use of a primary detergent with a heavy surfactant content, then having the pH neutralized with an acid rinse that contains a surfactant, I'd chose the former. My father and I spent alot of time 15 years ago encouraging acid rinses. What we didn't see was the effect of the surfactant, even though we did address the pH.

As technology changed, we learned to change with it. Test your stuff on your carpet at home, and if you have rental property. You'll see it for yourself.

Greenie

I'm looking forward to independent testing, you get real tired of Manufacturer claims.

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Dream Truck: Adequate space for carpet, upholstery, and tile cleaning equipment, so probably a 12' box van. Shelving and holders for tools, products, accessories. Vacuum cleaner, In Line Sprayer, Battery Powered Sprayer, extra "premix jugs" for In Line Sprayer and Battery Sprayer, Pump Sprayers, Brushes, Stain Removal Kit, Carpet Repair Kit, "Dry Upholstery Tool" (Drimaster, Hy Dry, CFR, HydroKinetic), Glided Wands, Rotary Jet Extractor with Glides, 175 RPM scrubber, Double Brush unit for encapsulation and preconditioning. I'm considering a tactful answer on the brand issue for a few minutes, Mike.

harryhides

Name
Tony
Jim, where do you see the Asscociations 5-10 yrs from now. Will the Internet and situations like this where right now 50 odd folks can listen to you and question you from anywhere in the world ? Something that used to possible ONLY by attending an Association meeting.

steve frasier

Supportive Member
Name
steve frasier
CRI approval

As I look at the product choices on the CRI web site, the independent cleaner has a very poor choice of products to use. It looks like the franchises have there products certified.

Will be have a better choice soon?

Will there be some type of CRI logo available to display if the cleaner wanted to?

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Lightening responses on line are playing havoc with my wording. Some traffic lane cleaners do not rinse well from carpet, even with soft water, acid rinses, high flow extractors, etc. This is one of the very positive issues being addressed by the CRI standards, by the way. Add to that the possibility that the technician is running a cleaning detergent through the unit, and adjusting the flow meter far higher than recommended. What you end up with is a carpet with as much residue as the "old shampoo guys" left.

Why do you think you see our friends in the encap world making some truck mount guys' work look like crap? The truck mount guy leaves tons of residue that IS NOT meant to be left on the carpet. The encap guy leaves a soil retardant residue that is MEANT to be left in the carpet.

It bears repeating: The residue issue is the one that has created much of the carpet manufacturer scrutiny of what we do.

Michael Ellis

Name
Michael Ellis
Why don'rt mills brag about their carpert being solution dyed nylon like they once did but they seem to always mention BCF?

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Lots of good questions coming in guys........if I skip yours, ask me on the bulletin board in the upcoming days, and I'll answer them......all of them.

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
For the technical, CRI questions: That is changing rapidly. Don't misunderstand, my favorite stuff isn't on there yet, just so you don't think I"m being an apologist. Will I change if I have to: Yes. I'll answer in detail if you remind me in the upcoming days.

Mikey P

Administrator
Jim

Would you consider haveing your own room here where you could answer questions when ever you have some spare time?

I see a nice T Shirt and a tattered copy of Birds Of Santa Cruz County coming your way if you do.

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Yes Mike, I will.

Harry: Your question is one I'd also like to answer in depth later. You know how many years Lee, then myself, have put into supporting associations. Please allow me to revisit that one in depth later.

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Mike Ellis: I don't know why they don't tell us the dye methods. I wish I knew, and I certainly wish that they did tell us.

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Mikey P: The reason I won't list what I sell is that in implies an endorsement that it might be better than something being used already. I sell the brands that I do because of years of work with many of these companies from their infancy, my own tests, and mostly what my customers like. But I can't tell you any of it has a special magic over other well formulated products out there.

Greenie

I'm in agreeance with Harry.

Associations are the biggest thing that will change, You guys have a greater voice together right here right now as a collective than you may think.

90% of the assocoations could only dream to have this equivalent in collective power.

You effect more change, and recieve a dynamic response quickly, people listen to you, they are reading this forum tonight, and this is only the first Hot Seat feature.

If someoen could just harness that power.

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Heck no Mike, they might learn that they can buy peroxide and ammonia instead of Stain Magic!

Mike, I do recommend they observe and participate on the bulletin boards. I tell both my current clients, as well as every class that I teach. The information is cutting edge, they get great ideas, and alot of entertainment from people who understand their lives ("carpet cleaners anonymous" I suppose).

Do I need to shelter my clients from "the competition"? Anyone on line can access every product and supplier around. Trying to keep a client in the dark is an act of futility.

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Glides have changed the lives of many of my clients. There are a number of guys past 40 who could not continue to clean carpet without them. I have a very good friend who has been a client since 1981 and who was going to sell his business at a loss last year because of a bad shoulder and his 60th birthday.

Now that he has glides on his wand, he's staying at it, and has had time to make a long term deal with his faithful employee to get the business a few years from now at a good price for both.

I show them in every class, and my guys in the showroom are true believers.

Greenie

I'd like to welcome Evan here, someday he might "volunteer", but it's totally a volunteer thing, so I understand IF he wouldn't want to subject himself to this crowd, and crowd it is, those numbers are growing fast.

Scott Rogers

Will the new CRI rules put small TM builders (EZ,Accelerated,Sunbelt,ODIN,etc.) out of business?? What does it cost to get a unit certified?

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Jim;

I really enjoyed your previous comment on "Encap" cleaners keeping the carpet cleaner for a longer period of time.

Do you think the rapid improvements in chemistry of "encap" cleaners will keep the long-term appearance of carpet ahead of "extraction" presprays?

Now they seem to have a commanding lead !!

Larry Cobb
Cobb Carpet Supply

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom