Interview with Jim Pemberton 10-18-06

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
I am not aware of the cost to get the equipment certified. I hope that this does not happen. Look: The cleaning industry is one of the few places left that a "little guy" can innovate and bring a product to market quickly, like all the above mentioned guys, as well as Lisa and Jeff.

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Larry: I don't know if the encap products will take the lead; I do believe that extraction can keep its credibility with the right products and equipment. We (the extraction guys) have collectively been our own worst enemies when it comes to the "wet" and "residue" issues. Its up the the manufacturers to get us better products, and up to us to do a better job with them.

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
I can't speak for other suppliers, and I am not at liberty to say what I am doing. The debt that our industry owes Greenglides is beyond estimation, and I am committed to doing all that I can. I can't say more at this point, Mike.

Scott Rogers

From the partial list of machines I have seen already certified, It seems money is the only motivating factor. I believe the operator is soly responsible for the outcome of the job and the machine he/she used to get the results should not matter.

Mechanical agitation and or rotary extractors are required to get some carpets to look good again, but if used it voids the warranty. This makes no sense to me.

Mikey P

Administrator
Encap rinses are certainly good for suppliers seeing that to get them to really "Encap" a guy has to run them almost full strength in a chem jug

harryhides

Name
Tony
Speaking of the power of the internet -

This thread has had 1,729 views so far - incredible.

My last question for Jim -
Since the major Mills have required Installers follow CRI 105 in for warranty purposes and as we all know this requrement has been largely ignored for what 15 yrs why should we believe that this new push will have any more impact on either the service contractors or on the consumer ?

Scott

Jim - thanks much for your service to the industry and for being in the inaugural Hot Seat position. I must run for now but I will see you in 2 weeks. Thanks again for the GREAT forum, Mike.

Scott

Mikey P

Administrator
BTW, Scott Rendall will be teaching a Fantastically Free Software Tools for the Cleaning/Restoration Industry mini class on Thurs, Nov 2nd and a one day Become Wildly Successful seminar on Nov 3rd at Pembertons.

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
I have no crystal ball on this issue with CRI. I think Harry's point is well taken. What I've been trying to say tonight is that you should all look at the goal of the testing, rather than the few products that "got on quick":

Are you convinced your products clean good, do not damage dyes, acid dye resistors, or negate fluorochemical treatments? Are you sure your equipment can produce, not just the cleaning power, but also have the ability to extract all of the suspended soil? Is your training and knowledge of the industry, however you acquire it, TRULY up to speed, or are you just looking for things to reinforce what you are doing rather than learn the BEST ways to do things.

I had to learn to quit relying on a "primary extraction detergent" to do all of my work, then later had to learn that perhaps an acid rinse wasn't the best way,either. Years earlier I had to decide that dry cleaning, however "safe" for fabrics, was bad for the environment, bad for people, and it just didn't clean.

As a cleaner, as a supplier, and as an instructor, I've learned that some things I used to do just aren't good enough anymore, and I've had to change and grow. We all will need to continue to if we want to thrive, and not just survive the changes coming.

Scott Rogers

I am certain we can all stand to learn a few things and bettering ones education is never a bad thing.

But I am certain any TM manufactured today and most portables will out perform a RUGDOCTOR using the same operator.

Mikey P

Administrator
Well everyone I think we will stop on that note.

Jim, I can't thank you enough for hanging out with us tonight. I thought it went very well for our first Hot Seat Session.

I hope we can get you back on another date.

I look forward to giving Jim his own room here do answer questions and give east coast bird reports.

Thanks for again to everyone for chiming in and also for setting a record night on this ever-growing board.

If any one has any final comments let em rip.

This interview will be saved in the Outhouse.

Got to love us rug suckers!!!!

Mikey

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Lisa, I do not know the costs of the testing. I'm at "arms length" from that part of our industry.

Scott Rogers

I too believe that if we are to be forced to join the iicrc then there should be better enforcement of it procedures and practices. If one is to become a licensed contractor the states contractors board provides consumers with complaints against that contractor. This would be one way to control the unscrupulous cleaners. Having bait and switch companies with the IICRC logo in there advertisement does no good for the organization.

truckmount girl

1800greenglides
Name
Lisa Smith
THANK YOU JIM! That was a lot of tough questions in a short period of time without benefit of a lot of time to ponder your answers.

You did superbly.

Thanks so much,
Lisa

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Thanks Lisa, and to you all. I'll look forward to being in touch with all of you in the near future.

harryhides

Name
Tony
Good job Jim - thanks berry berry much - others will follow the path you've hacked out here.

alazo1

Name
Albert Lazo
Seems like I'm always the last. Took a late afternoon nap and woke up late for the "Hot seat" interview with Jim.

That was awesome and thanks very much Jim. I think you gave alot to think about.

Mike, you did a great job, thanks for a great board. I love the idea of giving certain folks their own room. Reminds me of other non cc forums I visit.

Albert

Loren Egland

Name
Loren Egland
I wasn't able to be online when Jim was here. I thought I would just glance at the posts, but I was drawn in and had to read it all!

Thanks Jim, and good idea Mikey.

Loren

Rob Lyon

Name
Rob Lyon
Jim Pemberton

Jim has been a great mentor to me in building my buisness,jim and his
father to me are the greatest, and I look forward to scott's class in
November.

All The Best, Rob

Latest posts

Back