Interview with Joe Dobbins 5-2-07

joedobbins

Jim Pemberton said:
Joe, now that Terry broached the subject, is making the IICRC an international "association" one of those considerations that Carey is reviewing?

Jim,
That is a question that many have asked for many years. It, along with much discussion of other areas of making things better for the registrants and the industry. By having that thrown out here more than once tonight, it is my thinking that this has been stated by a member of the Task Force to someone that this is possibility. Many areas of alterations are under evaluation at this time and again, what is felt to be best for the industry and the cleaners / inspectors / restorers, will be what is brought forward.

joedobbins

Richard Chavez said:
Since education was the primary mission of most regional trade associations prior to the IICRC giving education to the distributors, can you see that this is one of the primary reasons for regional associations dying out?

Why does the IICRC which is supposedly run by those associations, do things that are not in the best interest of there owners? :?
:?:

Joe
I've got to go for now, I'm sharing computer time with a teenager trying to finish her homework.

I appreciate your time and look forward to your responses.
Richard

Richard,
Please review my opening pre-question answers.

Mikey P

Administrator
Joe

Thanks for your participation and for staying so late.

It's been great, nice job!

Dont be a stranger and feel free to use the Events room to promote your classes.

Mikey

joedobbins

Dolly said:
Good evening Joe,

I have a few questions and concerns.

What really is the reason IICRC is involving it's self into CRI and SOA.

I feel strongly apposed to this who idea because of what they do
certify.

It looks so much like regulations on mostly the independents.

I can understand an effort to keep the "hack types out, but that is not
going to happen. They will always be with us just like the beggars on the streets.

I see it as an effort to give more prestige to carpet cleaners by having credentials. Bottom line though, customers decide who serves them.

Customers yes can be confused if they have never had carpets cleaned before, or if they have and were unhappy, they don't know who to call unless they know someone who can refer.

Still, Customers do not know what CRI or SOA is. It really means nothing to the average consumer. You can even go into retail stores that sell carpet and they don't know either.

They don't know what IICRC is.

When I was in the Chem-Dry system, I never heard of IICRC either.

It was at Chuck Dewald's water restoration school that I started to hear about these things.

I understand now that Chem-Dry is encouraged to go to IICRC classes for certifications. That is a fact.

I just don't trust the whole thing. I see it as a way for the organization to create cost on the industry and make more benefit for themselves.

I really would have to be convinced. I'm sure though if they are going to move ahead as they have, they don't really need to convince me of anything, but there are a lot of us who do not buy into it.

I can also say, there is no place any where near where I am to even go to any of these things. I am sure I am not the only one.

Most of us who are O/O and cannot afford the time out of the field. We have families to feed and care for and time out is loss out of the pocket book on top of the cost of going to the classes. It is not feasible for everyone. There has to be an on line system, or a DVD to buy and review.

Something more than taking time out of the field to sit for 3 days in these classes. Carpet, Upholstery and just general cleaning is not really a specialized field like Water Damage and restoration or Fire Damage and mold remediation.

Joe, we all know taking tests that you can pass does not a competent carpet cleaner make.

I go behind many all the time. Many of us have been cleaning for many years and going to 101 classes is an insult. New people coming into the industry.........well, different story.......In fact you and I know as well as others that if your not good at what you do, you die on the vine.

I have really serious feelings against the whole thing.

Like I said I and many here are very reluctant to accept this whole thing.

Dolly,
I think you have some very good input. I've discussed this on several other questions already. We are also working on some of your other points such as repetition. Thanks again for all of your hard work and input here. You are a true asset to this entire group and BB.

joedobbins

ODIN said:
One more question

What is the involvement between the IICRC CRI MILLS and the certified firm

Now that shaw will require or recommend that an IICRC certified firm do the cleaning.

What does this whole SOA thing look like.

To me it says Join the union or you cant work?

Why is there only one place to get certified?

When there are so many conflicts of interest

Lets see Mitchel works for shaw and is involved with the IICRC

Travis sat or served on soa comities

Jeff Bishop is good friends with Braun?

they have an editor of a cleaning magazine as a cantor.

Makes one to think every one is in bed together on this one.

T

Sorry for my poor English, but if you prefer I can converse in 5 other than English if you please.

Terry,
Unfortunately, you have combined a lot of items here and some of them just don't belong in the same context....

1. What is the involvement between the IICRC CRI MILLS and the certified firm? The carpet mills have chosen, of their own free will, to have the IICRC Certified Firms as their choice of recommendation in maintaining warranty concerns with carpet cleaning on some of their carpets. The IICRC Certified Firms have proven having someone on staff for the advertised job to perform as certified in that area, complaint policy, certain levels of insurance and an on-going education program.

2. To me it says Join the union or you cant work? Unfortunately, it is not the IICRC's warranty nor its program. They are only using certified firms of the IICRC to handle their warranty program. The IICRC has nothing to do with this other than providing a list of people with the credentials listed in #1 above.

3. Why is there only one place to get certified? That is not a question that I can answer, nor can anyone else for that matter. Again, that's what makes this a free enterprise system in America and any organization has the same options to put together and administer any program that them choose in certification.

4. Lets see Mitchel works for shaw and is involved with the IICRC? Carey Mitchell heads the technical division of Shaw. His expertise there is welcomed to have him work with the IICRC and presently he works on the Senior Carpet Inspector Technical Advisory Committee (TAC) and helps with other carpeted areas of expertise as called upon. That's what is so good about the IICRC...the interaction of people from different parts of the industry helping in many different areas of all disciplines. He is much welcomed and appreciated for his help in any area.

5. Travis sat or served on soa comities? I think it is good that she has served on these committees as it has helped direct them moreso toward what is best for our registrants rather than being run totally by one facet of the industry. As IICRC President, she serves on many industry committees and always is looking out for the interests of the registrants while serving on any committee for people like you and me.

6. Jeff Bishop is good friends with Braun? Fortunately this is not a problem or a sin. In fact, I consider it a good thing. Jim Pemberton is a good friend of mine but we still disagree on some items. We both learn from those things and complement each other on items that we work on. Sorry, but I do not see a problem here with friends in our industry working together in any capacity.

7. The other items on your list....Sorry, but I do not understand the points.

joedobbins

ODIN said:
what do you think about the importance of certification when a 10 year old can become certified?

Kind of puts the IICRC limbo poll pretty high don't you think?

T

Terry,
I've discussed this, even with you, on multiple occassions on bulletin boards. In fact, I was the one that certified Christopher Hicks in Color Repair Technician course. He did excellent work and was one of the brightest people in answering questions during the class, not to mention that he did some of the very best work during the hands-on section of the course. He actually was a very bright young person.

I disagree with it putting the IICRC limbo poll pretty high. As we make the negative statements on the age of Christopher, the same must be said of the people that are 40-50 (or older) that fail the exams. This situation is a lot more common than the situation with Christopher. If you will come out and make the same (actually the opposite) statements and use it as a negative twist for the older people that fail the exams, I would have some more credit to accept in your thinking.

We should not look at the person's age, but rather at what he learned, what he can do and how proud we should be of him just as people were of Mozart writing his symphony at age 11 hundreds of years ago.

Thank you.

joedobbins

Rex Tyus said:
what do you think about the importance of certification when a 10 year old can become certified?

Sorry to interject, but the 10 year old that PASSED the test doesn't bother me nearly as much as the 45 year old that did not and is still allowed to introduce foreign agents into consumers homes.

Rex,
Good point, but there again, we are still being biased and prejudiced toward different people and their different levels of learning. However, you are correct, in my opinion.

joedobbins

Rex Tyus said:

Sorry to interject, but the 10 year old that PASSED the test doesn't bother me nearly as much as the 45 year old that did not and is still allowed to introduce foreign agents into consumers homes.

Rex,
Good point, but there again, we are still being biased and prejudiced toward different people and their different levels of learning. However, you are correct, in my opinion.

joedobbins

Jeremy said:
Mr. Dobbins,
Knowing you do not work for the C.R.I. but support the program: Why do the require Certified Firm Status rather than Certified Technicians? Since a Certified Firm would require a Certified Technician. Thanks for dropping by.

Jeremy,
Good question, on the surface and one that creates some confusion from time to time with new technicians. However, the reasoning is that whereas a Certified Technician has the certification, he/she is NOT the company. Therefore, the technician may have all the training, know the right thing to do, but be bound to policies and procedures of their owner that may not be according to best cleaning techniques and also may not even be an ethical company. Further, the technicians are not required to have insurance, an on-going training program or any of the other requirements of the certified firm.

Shaw, et al, wants to ensure that the certified technicians working for unethical companies that do NOT work within professional agendas would be detrimental to the end result for the consumers.

Sorry, but it is for the benefit of all. If this is not clear, please feel free to contact me at any time and I'll try to further explain it.

joedobbins

Mikey P said:
Joe

Thanks for your participation and for staying so late.

It's been great, nice job!

Dont be a stranger and feel free to use the Events room to promote your classes.

Mikey

Thank you, sir. I appreciated the opportunity. I'm not near the butt that I'm portrayed to be and really try hard to do what is right and best for all concerned.

You have a nice BB here that you run. Great job there, also.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom