Interview with Shawn Forsythe 2-6-08

Name
Shawn Forsythe
Mikey P said:
How can a TM manufacturer survive if they don't have their own line of chemicals?

By creation of niche, or marked deviation from the pack that permits themselves to price outside of commodity-like pricing. Steam Genie was profitable until they chased the pack and stopped charging for differentiation, and then making compromises.

Others do it through non-legitimate sales practices, and of course eventually fail, as it is not self sustaining.

Mikey P

Administrator
Shawn Forsythe said:
[quote="Mikey P":2bdklr0b]Lets pretend you were 20 years old, have a strong back and 50 grand to spend on setting up a new carpet cleaning business.

What equipment would you get and how would you market yourself?

I once answered a question quite similar to that on another messageboard and nearly lost a longstanding vendor over my response. That question is private, for each individual in which I am having such a conversation.

I can tell you this. We carry every brand of equipment we want to, and those that we do not carry are brands we do not want. The only exceptions are those lines that ordinarily sell only direct.[/quote:2bdklr0b]

Do you and Jeff Cross party in your room at Connections?

Name
Shawn Forsythe
Mikey P said:
Are you the first on your block to get the Xmas lights up and do you have your hand tools on the peg board out lined in black or white?

No, I am pretty ordinary on my Xmas light placement.

I don't have any pegboards, but I do have alot of toolboxes and roll-aways, and group my tools in this manner.

My Wife says I am a container freak.

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
Yes Shawn..the quality of the '94 Genie that i looked at was no where near the early '80 ones....

Name
Shawn Forsythe
Danny Strickland said:
if Willy Parsons came into yore store, would you treat him like anyone else or screw him on principle??? :shock:

Willy called me once, and we had an extraordinarily pleasant conversation.

I will fight tooth and nail in a forum over position of disagreement, but outside that venue I hold no grudges or animosity. I would be proud to have Willy as a customer or friend.

Name
Shawn Forsythe
bob vawter said:
Shawn...i drove down to Tn last weekend to look at a Genie...the guy claims that he jus scraped 12 Genie SS waste tanks....and got $300/for SS scrap......made me sic......!

That is sick. No SG tank should ever need to be scrapped.

Name
Shawn Forsythe
Michael Rossi said:
So you like NASCAR....

What drivers/teams do you like and dislike?

What do you think of the COT?

Do you think Jr. made the right move?

How will Toyota do this year?

What driver has the hottest wife?

Who is going to have a shitty year this year?

I am Dale Jarret and Jimmie Johnson fan (Team Lowes)

I dislike Tony Stewart

I think the COT sucks as it is a complete deviation from a Stock Car.

We'll see about Jr.

God, I hope Toyota does better. If they can't, they ought to bow out.

Jimmie Johnson's wife is bangin'

Mikey P

Administrator
What is it about us Carpet Cleaners that you love so much that your are more then willing to spend so much of your precious time with us?

Don't tell me that your are doing research to keep you hip and up to date on current market trends. Only Tony and maybe your wife buys that BS.

You could be hanging out with folks on electrogadgetBB.com or the NPR BB, so tell me, why us janitors?

btw, I really love that you do, don't get me wrong.

Name
Shawn Forsythe
Mikey P said:
Would Tony (your boss) ever entertain the though of selling an electric truckmount?

Sure he would. We'll sell anything as long as the vendor is legit, customers demand it, the equipemnt holds up, and the company that makes the product backs it up.

Name
Shawn Forsythe
Mikey P said:
What is it about us Carpet Cleaners that you love so much that your are more then willing to spend so much of your precious time with us?

Don't tell me that your are doing research to keep you hip and up to date on current market trends. Only Tony and maybe your wife buys that BS.

You could be hanging out with folks on electrogadgetBB.com or the NPR BB, so tell me, why us janitors?

btw, I really love that you do, don't get me wrong.

Probably the main reason is pure enjoyment at seeing problems resolve themselves with knowledge that ones self was a great part of it. I think all people enjoy what they do well, when others appreciate it.

I take a lot of "tongue in cheek" abuse on these boards, but no more than anyone else. Often I do feel, "what's the point". But also, I do feel the better for the character toughening that happens as a result. I only come here for my pleasure, and for nobody else.

Jimbo

So Shawn...maybe we should start a "realstockcars" series!

Was Steam Genie the first to offer a Kunkle Valve on a TM?

Name
Shawn Forsythe
harryhides said:
I'd like to know if Shawn still thinks Bush is a real conservative or just an oily wahabbi wannabee.

I am quite disappointed in Bush. He has compromised his values, and is no conservative. However, I still respect the office, and he is our President.

The Preacher

Shawn Forsythe said:
[quote="Danny Strickland":35diqqu2]Sean, it was a true pleasure to meet you in Orlando a few years ago. that said, who do you see as your peer or equal in the supply/ed side of this biz!

Please explain? My peer on MY SIDE of this business?[/quote:35diqqu2]

Scott Warrington is who i see as yore peer or equal in the supply side of our biz. are there other guys at distributors who know tech and chem stuff like you two do???

would Odin do well at a Jon Don for instance??? :lol:

Name
Shawn Forsythe
Jimbo said:
So Shawn...maybe we should start a "realstockcars" series!

Was Steam Genie the first to offer a Kunkle Valve on a TM?

No, we were not the first. However, we were the only one's serious about it some 8 or so years ago. I was turned on to trying it after I saw some limited discussion on the ICS board. Duane Oxley made some posts on the matter, and thought it functioned well, but had vocalized reservations about durability.

I bought a few from Kunkle and we did some trials. I recommended it to a few SG customers, and all liked it quite well, without exception. We showed a unit equipped with a Kunkle at the first Connections held at the Riviera, and got positive feedback. However Steam Genie never sold a single Kunkle valve. When I came to CCCS, I was quick to convince the Company to start carrying them.

I am told that Steam Way dabbled with Kunkles a number of years before they ever received prominence on the BBS's.

Jimbo

How much would having the waste tank constructed out of stainless steel add to the average TM?

Name
Shawn Forsythe
Mikey P said:
What did you accomplish while you were on the CFI BOD?

I was astounded to learn that the position of Sec/Treas was taken so lightly, and that the hired Management company was typically the CFO of the organization for many years. I spearheaded an effort to re-define Management's role and return control of all financial affairs strictly to the Board. As Chair of the Policies and Procedures committee, I took careful care to craft a complete policy manual using existing tidbits and all the records of passed motions. The Bylaws and Policies were codified in an electronic format that the BOD never had easy access to.

I also crafted their first real website, and ran it for a number of years.

Most of all, I learned so much from that experience, and was granted participation in representing CFI in many capacities, including a brief stint as Connections rep.

Name
Shawn Forsythe
Mikey P said:
Did Kevin Wang ever show up with an Uzi at the Steam Genie plant?

No, but he had an attorney draft a "cease and desist" letter, forbidding us to further the Kunkle project.

I had the pleasure of personally calling his attorney and telling him that the letter was pure garbage, and had no merit.

I was surprised to hear his reply. He had no notion as to the validity of the claims in the letter, but had simply drafted the letter at the behest of his client. LOL

Nothing ever happened after that.

The Preacher

Shawn Forsythe said:
[quote="Mikey P":24nzmsoi]What did you accomplish while you were on the CFI BOD?

I also crafted their first real website, and ran it for a number of years.

Most of all, I learned so much from that experience, and was granted participation in representing CFI in many capacities, including a brief stint as Connections rep.[/quote:24nzmsoi]

did you get a FREE vacation along with the rest of the Connections Reps??

Tony Wheelrite on Dannys computer :lol:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom