Interview with Shawn Forsythe 2-6-08

The Preacher

after Mikey ripped the mod privilege from me and gave it to you did you at anytime fel sorry for me and want to send me a CCCS chem package as compensation??? :shock:

Name
Shawn Forsythe
David Day said:
Shawn What do most carpet cleaners focus on when buying chemicals or equipment quality or cost?

David Day

There's no doubt that there are price shoppers that abound. If I take a liking to a customer I will explain that chemical cost per ounce is nothing. What matters is the cost to use, per 1000 square feet. If a chemical works better, and lowers cost of labor, then that has to be considered as a major cost factor.

I have no problem with cost conscious individuals. But too many shop for the per ounce price.

Name
Shawn Forsythe
Mikey P said:
Does your boss approve of your time spent here during working hours?

He knows full well the amount of time I spend here. Lately it averages about 3-4 hours per week. However, my day consists of being here from 8:00 AM till usually 7:00 PM , and I work quite a few weekend hours doing the website and traveling for the company.

Name
Shawn Forsythe
Bob Foster said:
Shawn with your good writing skills could you see yourself working on a regular basis as a contributing author to an on-line publication?

Do you enjoy writing?

What do you think of on-line live discussion such as Club Greenhorn and its future for cleaners?

I used to write a number of articles for the likes of CleanFax & ICS. It was purely an endeavor of satisfaction. However, it became something I just did not have the time for. I don't know if I would ever want to do it again, even for an online publication. But I'm sure that could change, as I am always moving between interests.

I do enjoy technical writing though. It's the deadlines that take the fun away.

Mikey P

Administrator
Lets pretend you were 20 years old, have a strong back and 50 grand to spend on setting up a new carpet cleaning business.

What equipment would you get and how would you market yourself?

adamh

Supportive Member
Name
Adam Hale
Mikey P said:
What does Mrs Forsythe do for a living and will there be any propagating going on any time soon?

I will answer that for you Shawn

She is a teacher and they are working on children.

Mikey P

Administrator
Are you the first on your block to get the Xmas lights up and do you have your hand tools on the peg board out lined in black or white?

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
Shawn...i gotta say this...of all the dorkOs that post here...i would enjoy meeting YOU the mostest......i believe that we are of kindred spirit......

The Preacher

if Willy Parsons came into yore store, would you treat him like anyone else or screw him on principle??? :shock:

Name
Shawn Forsythe
Larry Cobb said:
Hi Shawn;

In regard to your work with the service dept:

1. Do you have any problems getting warranty coverage for TM parts?

2. Do you stock a large inventory of parts for all the TMs you work on?

3. What labor rate do you currently charge on TM installs and repairs?

Larry Cobb

P.S. Tell Tony I said hi.

1. Not usually, but that is just my own singular situation. I always am pretty careful about making a judgment call before even making the consideration. Our vendors have a pretty good relationship with those who are making the calls on our end. Even though we have 6 stores, the interaction with vendors is limited to just a few people within our org.

2. Each store has a fair amount, but much less than we'd always like. Having 6 locations, with the ability to know which sore has what is a real asset that permits each location to focus on particular lines, and drawing upon each other.

3. Each store sets it's own labor rate according to demographics, economics, and prevailing prices. Here in Fullerton we charge a very low $65.00 per hour. Installations are quoted on a case-by-case basis, and vary between $575-$675 plus the cost of the fuel tap kit for slide ins. Our standard labor rate applies for accessory installation.

steve frasier

Supportive Member
Name
steve frasier
where can a person read the shaw's encap report

I recently sent the application in to get my equipment CRI approved. I received approval, not sure yet what I would really do with it but do you see individual cleaners doing this as good of bad for the industry

Name
Shawn Forsythe
Little John said:
I know you can't say who is the best, but what manufacture of TMs and other equipment do you think is trying the hardest to be or become the best?

All the manufacturers are trying. However an evil has crept into this industry, called "low margins". People erroneously think that "Somebody is making a killing", every time a TM is sold. I can tell you for a fact that TM manufactures make a very slim margin, existing on the backs of certain accessory sales and chemicals. This forces enormous compromise that is clearly dictated by customer demand. There are maverick companies incorporating various devices, to test the waters, to see if the customer is willing to pay for a niche change. An example would be a Stainless Steel recovery tank. They are quite rare, because they are expensive.

Blueline, Hydramaster, Masterblend, White Magic, et al, are all doing their level best to give what the customer will buy. And I have witnessed their R&D efforts first hand, and they all are getting much better.

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
Danny Strickland said:
can you get Mrs Forsythe to type yore answers?? you type slower than BAwb FU#KS!!!

if THAT were the criteria.....

this would be a blank page.....

remember...i tol yous all, don waste 'em when yor young cuz you only get so many!

Name
Shawn Forsythe
Danny Strickland said:
is there a Mrs. Forsythe, and if so, is she the smartest thing on her chosen BBS??? :lol:

My wife of 8 years is a first grade public schoolteacher. She participates on a few BBS's. Scrapbooking, rubber stamping, and quilting.

Name
Shawn Forsythe
Mikey P said:
What is the difference between a free flow relief valve and a free flow leak?

One is like a flat tire done intentionally with a knife, the other is like a flat as the result of running over a nail.

Both have the same result, one is just self inflicted.

"FreeFlow" is an invented theory with no basis in positive performance. It's purpose is to counter certain deficiencies and to lower stress on marginal components.

Name
Shawn Forsythe
Danny Strickland said:
Sean, it was a true pleasure to meet you in Orlando a few years ago. that said, who do you see as your peer or equal in the supply/ed side of this biz!

Please explain? My peer on MY SIDE of this business?

Name
Shawn Forsythe
Danny Strickland said:
after Mikey ripped the mod privilege from me and gave it to you did you at anytime fel sorry for me and want to send me a CCCS chem package as compensation??? :shock:

I did feel some sorrow. But I also know that you are a smart guy who knew exactly what you was doing.

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
Shawn...i drove down to Tn last weekend to look at a Genie...the guy claims that he jus scraped 12 Genie SS waste tanks....and got $300/for SS scrap......made me sic......!

Michael Rossi

So you like NASCAR....

What drivers/teams do you like and dislike?

What do you think of the COT?

Do you think Jr. made the right move?

How will Toyota do this year?

What driver has the hottest wife?

Who is going to have a shitty year this year?

harryhides

Name
Tony
I just got to say that this is the most hilarious Hot Seat I've ever read. It's like Data of star trek answering these dickhead humanoid questions all without cracking a smile.

So in summation - carry on.

Name
Shawn Forsythe
Mikey P said:
Lets pretend you were 20 years old, have a strong back and 50 grand to spend on setting up a new carpet cleaning business.

What equipment would you get and how would you market yourself?

I once answered a question quite similar to that on another messageboard and nearly lost a longstanding vendor over my response. That question is private, for each individual in which I am having such a conversation.

I can tell you this. We carry every brand of equipment we want to, and those that we do not carry are brands we do not want. The only exceptions are those lines that ordinarily sell only direct.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom