Interview with Steve Cameron 1-31-07

Cameron1

biggest bang would be newsletters, we like to run 2 men, but go with what shows up

Total advertising last year was 26,000.00

G

Does Joe compensate you when you appear in his video(s)? (just curious) or is it because you're grateful for the kick in the butt and helpful information?

G

What do you strive for $$ goal wise...

Do you look at the week as 5, 5.5 or 6 day work weeks?

How much commercial do you do?

Does Joe talk the members into being into only Carpet and uph...or do does he help everyone to be the full service co..and do ducts, windows, rugs, drapes, tile and such?

Cameron1

not enough, that's my biggest problem. I train using Steve Torrens., cassette programs, and talking and showing and letting them work with my top ace.

KC OHanlon

On a scale of 1 to 10. 1= Trashed rentals and 10= You only deal with the house manager or personal assistant... What type of customer does this marketing typically attract?

G

Have you ever bought out another cleaner (1 or two truck operation) ?

Cameron1

mike, it doesn't always work that way.You always have a few that call as soon as they get it. A few that call in a week later - 2 weeks later and some months later. We send out 3000 per mailing usually 4x per year.

No I do not get paid for personal appearances. I'm just more than happy to do it.

No there are members of Plat+ that perform all aspects of cleaning. There are blind cleaners, maid services, total restoration services as well as carpet & upholstery cleaners.

Cameron1

Mos all of our clients are on a scale of 7.5 and higher. I would say 90% of our client's homes are 600,000.00

I did buy my father in laws 1 truck operation in 1994. I got screwed.

Cameron1

We generally try to work 5 days a week. I don't have targeted goals, we just try to do as much as we can.

I don't pretend to have all the answers. We struggle everyday with issues just like everyone else. My biggest problem is finding help. I am always the fall back guy when someone doesn't show up or the emergency job.

We do little to no commercial work and little to no flood work. It is all carpet, upholstery, tile, and hardwood floor cleaning.

G

I see that you're in the Stone Mountain, GA area, which is basically east of Atlanta (15 miles). Do you primarily service the east, north, northeast, and northwest sides of Atlanta if not where is your primary business located?

Is Atlanta really home of the whole house special guys for $59?

BTW congratulations on the multi-truck operation.

KC OHanlon

I know that one of the biggest headaches that we all face with growth is finding quality employees. Does Joe P's stuff address employee issues at all or is it strictly how to land a customer?

Cameron1

Most of the money and growth is North Atlanta. And that is where we go. It is not uncommon for each truck to have 2-3 hours a day in windshield time. I should move my base, but I have it too good where I am at.

My top chimp made $46000. last year

No I spent to many years learning the technical side of the business and not enough learning how to manage people. I have found that my management style for this different generation and culture does not work very well. I am trying to adjust.

Joe does have some strategies to deal with employees, but not a whole lot.

Cameron1

See that's the deal. I didn't have this bulletin board or Joe Polish all these years. There is so much information available now that you guys are light years ahead of where I was. But I can tell you this.. until I figured how to market my business, I had nothing but a job. Now I consider myself not a carpet cleaner but a marketer of cleaning services. There is a big difference.

My real passion is white tail hunting. And doing any kind of work outside. I have been known to kick back with a few brews.

KC OHanlon

I'm not going to comment on the love of white tail line.
With windshield times so high, are you paying commission, hourly or a combination?

Cameron1

That is a good ? Mike. I would not be where I am at today if it wasn't for Joe Polish. Having said that ... I have also gained a tremendous amount of insight from some of the people on the boards. Especially when it comes to pricing issues. You can't put a price on being able to come to any of these boards and asking a question and within minutes getting a whole slew of good quality answers. That is what I mean when I say this wasn't available to me in my earlier years.

Jeremy

Name
Jeremy
Would you like to hunt in Indiana next season? I'm trying to talk Craig into leaving his tes parked on a job for an extra day or 2 & come thin out the herd.... Anyone with their own gun & orange hat is welcome.

Cameron1

No I pay hourly with overtime. And bonuses once per month. None of my chimps could sell their way out of a wet paper bag. That is another reason I try to do all the inspections myself.

No the SOA program will not affect me in any way shape or form. I just don't see what the big up roar is about. Trust me on this .. it will pass over very quickly and everything will work out to everyone benefit.

Lets face it ,this is carpet cleaning. Not brain surgery.

The Preacher

do you network with guys in the biz around you???

Howard P partnered up with a couple guys and he seemed to take off.

Jeremy

Name
Jeremy
4 legged (my fiance has a .45 cal in line that will split hairs at 50 yds.) & no I have not met Craig... Can't be any worse than Dobs. LOL

Cameron1

Danny, we have done joint ventures with 5 different companies. We generally get their mailing list, have them sign an introduction letter about how great we are and then make a pitch and mail it out. It has given us some great clients.

G

What was the single greatest thing you ever did that jump started your business to the point where you said, "Yeah, I made it!"

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom