Is citrus booster bad for our equipment?

gimmeagig

Name
Roxy
I have been having trouble with my hand pump up sprayers which I've been using for upholstery and also for a high temperature concentrated prespray which I put down in very difficult to clean areas.On both applications I add some Citrus Pro or Groom Solutions Citrus burst to the other chemicals I use.
I own a Hudson and a Hydroforce handsprayer and both have rubber O rings in them. The O rings in both of them started to swell and both sprayers are now no longer working.
I called hydroforce and they told me that the Citrus was the cause. So now I'm worried about my gear.
I regularly add citrus to my prespray in my Hydroforce inline sprayer. Is that sprayer going to fail next? Do I have to worry about that? I don't have a spare on my truck....
The label on the Citrus Burst actually says that the product may damage pumps in extraction equipment.
I have ( in the past) used a little citrus in my rinse. Since then I've learned that that is not a good idea. But today I discovered a leaky water pump manifold gasket in my CDS and now I'm wondering if I might have damaged it by using the citrus.
I was told that it is a good practice to always boost the prespray with Citrus but now I'm wondering......
Are all citrus products the same as far as the potential damage they could cause?
Is there something else that I could use instead or am I overly paranoid now.

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink
Make sure you're buying pump ups with Viton seals, or ones that say they are chemical resistant. Otherwise some of the products like solvents will eat the O-Rings inside and cause them not to spray or fail. Your hydroforce sprayer is safe to use with these products.

gimmeagig

Name
Roxy
The green Hydroforce is supposed to have Viton seals and so is the Hudson, but both O rings ended up expanding , making the sprayers useless.
Could it be the heat? I was using really hot water.

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink
The hydroforce isn't suppose to be sprayed at high PSI and if I remember right ideal temperature to ensure an accurate dilution is 150-175 degrees or for it to draw at all. Any hotter than that and it can start to malfunction if you're doing it constantly. Also be sure your screen filters in the handle, and in the sprayer tip are clean in your hydroforce. Your pump ups it wouldn't hurt to rinse them out at the end of the day.

I'm not sure about super hot in the pump ups, but I've used luke warm water for dissolving powders and they worked fine.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
I was told that it is a good practice to always boost the prespray with Citrus

did a orange juice salesman tell you that??

it's a good practice to use a quality pre-spray ...but if it needs boosting regularly, you need a new pre-spray

we don't use much d'limonine (citrus juice)
But did regularly years ago.
i don't recall any issues out of the normal with pumps on our electric sprayers

when you say "really hot water" , how hot is really hot to you?

..L.T.A.

gimmeagig

Name
Roxy
George McFarland said:
I was told that it is a good practice to always boost the prespray with Citrus

did a orange juice salesman tell you that??

it's a good practice to use a quality pre-spray ...but if it needs boosting regularly, you need a new pre-spray

we don't use much d'limonine (citrus juice)
But did regularly years ago.
i don't recall any issues out of the normal with pumps on our electric sprayers

when you say "really hot water" , how hot is really hot to you?

..L.T.A.

I talked to a tech support guy named Tim at Jon Don in Seattle and also the guys at LPM and a few other people. They pretty much seem to agree that for not that much more extra money per job, even if it's not totally necessary you may as well throw everything you got at the carpet (not wool of course), it doesn't hurt anything.
I'm not trying to defend that point of view I'm just saying what I base what I'm doing on right now.And I'm always open to new information :mrgreen:
Of course I have also heard the theory that the chemists put everything that is necessary into their presprays already, and it should not need anything extra. So maybe the Grease Eraser would do everything just fine by itself. I've never tried it.The exception I guess might be the oxydizer which I like to use on lighter colored carpets and vomit and other pet stains. It will loose it's effect in a short time and needs to be mixed in fresh,right?
Actually I wouldn't mind just using the Grease Eraser without any citrus. The reason why is really stupid but here it is. The Citrus changes the color of the prespray in the hydroforce and makes it really dirty looking. I know it is a stupid reason....
But I put the extra citrus in because I'm new and I want to make sure I don't turn out an inferior job just to save a few bucks.

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
when i use Harvard Citrus it eats the seals in the Hyrdo-force almost immediately but when i use Bridgepoints it doesn't bother them. I don't know what else is in the Harvard or if it's just a stronger concentrate.

gene

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
gimmeagig said:
I talked to a tech support guy named Tim at Jon Don in Seattle and also the guys at LPM and a few other people. They pretty much seem to agree that for not that much more extra money per job, even if it's not totally necessary you may as well throw everything you got at the carpet (not wool of course), it doesn't hurt anything.

'cept your wallet for needlessly wasting chem
I figured it might of been some juice salesmen that convinced you .

I'm not trying to defend that point of view I'm just saying what I base what I'm doing on right now.

stop being a follower and do some side by side testing when opportunity allows...like in empties or com

So maybe the Grease Eraser would do everything just fine by itself. I've never tried it.

you need to...see my above comment

But I put the extra citrus in because I'm new and I want to make sure I don't turn out an inferior job just to save a few bucks.

see above

.l.T.A.

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Roxy;

These are chemical compatibilities for pure Citrus Solvent:

Stainless steel (304) - - Very good
Teflon (Reg. TM duPont) Very good
Titanium - - - - - - - - - - Very good
Viton (Reg. TM duPont ) Very good

Buna N - - - Not recommended (std. o'rings & std. QD's)
PVC - - - - - Not recommended
Polyethylene - Not recommended
Polypropylene - Not recommended
Natural rubber - Not recommended
Neoprene - - - Not recommended
Nitrile - - - - - Not recommended

Of course, you have to check the materials used in each piece of equipment you are using.

We do stock Viton Sprayers, Viton o'rings and Viton QD's.

http://cobbcarpet.com/zen/index.php...search_in_description=1&keyword=viton+coupler

Larry

gimmeagig

Name
Roxy
Tom Joad said:
stop being a follower and do some side by side testing when opportunity allows...like in empties or com

.l.T.A.
[/quote]
I don't mind following people if I trust they know where they are going and I want to get there too, but I understand what you're saying.
Next empty I'll do some experimenting.
Still even doing a side by side test has some variables and could be tricky.A restaurant would be good because there would be large areas of the same gunk. But I don't get many of those jobs yet.The last one I did, my citrus booster was a life saver for me.I'm not sure if the grease eater in double strength alone would have been enough.I'll try it when I get the chance.
But that's where I killed my hand pump sprayer.I made good money on that job so in the end it was still OK but I don't want to make a habit of that.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom