Is it illegal to ask an employee to edit their social media?

Mikey P

Administrator
Can you ask a current or potential employee to remove comments or photos off FB or Twitter that would be perceived less than "wholesome" by snooping clients or worse, that security cop at the guard house who runs our names through Goggle each time we come out?

Reactions: scrrocks

smastio

Name
Steve Mastio
Can you ask a current or potential employee to remove comments or photos off FB or Twitter that would be perceived less than "wholesome" by snooping clients or worse, that security cop at the guard house who runs our names through Goggle each time we come out?

Just cause you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get ya! :evil:

kingjoelking

Supportive Member
Its not illegal to ask. The question of legality would be is it legal to demand.
But there have been many well documented firings for Social Media posts. But like anything else. It must be well documented in your company policies for you to be aloud to enforce a rule without unemployment consequences.
especially in your touchy feely state.

Reactions: Mikey P

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
Its a great question!
Unfortunately the law on this is moving pretty fast and most labor laws we have to worry about are state based.

Just doing some quick research it looks like you cant force an employee to give you access in CA.

Looks like an employee can complain, make remarks about your business provided its about a specific rule, law. For example if they complained about not getting paid for lunch or some safety violation. But looks like you can discipline if they made a casual comment about working around milfs, rednecks all day or some other racist, casual remark.

In general the first amendment protects free speech against the gobernment but not private business.
Exceptions are if they are posting about work rules, that is protected.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
smiley-whacky108.gif

A.J.

Name
A.J. Hodges
If I was working for someone and they told me to edit my personal posts on social media I'd tell them to go to hell. You already own me most of my time I spend awake, no way in hell you're moving in on my personal space. The only exception being if I had made a post specifically about my work.
Don't higher a jackass and hope for the best lol

Reactions: Art Kelley
Name
Lee Stockwell
If I was working for someone and they told me to edit my personal posts on social media I'd tell them to go to hell. You already own me most of my time I spend awake, no way in hell you're moving in on my personal space. The only exception being if I had made a post specifically about my work.
Don't higher a jackass and hope for the best lol
You have free speech. Your boss (customer) is also free to FIRE you over it.

The beauty of freedom.

Reactions: Russ T. and Mikey P

A.J.

Name
A.J. Hodges
You have free speech. Your boss (customer) is also free to FIRE you over it.

The beauty of freedom.

This might be a bit of a touchy subject but if you higher a female or in particular a black female good luck firing them based on ANYTHING. The short period I worked for a corporation we had the hardest time firing women. It was literally almost impossible. One was white and said she felt she was pushed to much because she was preggers. She got a settlement. She was in fact very lazy long before some poor sap knocked her up. The other said, "If you fire me I'll sue you for being racist (and whatever it's called when you hate women). She flat out did a terrible job because she knew she was safe. Mandatory stuff everyone else in her position had to do (Or be fired) she did not do. In the end they had to give her money to quit.

Your freedom to fire means nothing when being accused of being a racist women hater is on the line lol.

Reactions: Russ T. and Mikey P

Mike Draper

go hire some Mormon kid fresh off his mission. He will know how to communicate well, dress appropriate, sell well, take rejection well and will be an trustworthy person. And no, he wont preach to clients.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
go hire some Mormon kid fresh off his mission. He will know how to communicate well, dress appropriate, sell well, take rejection well and will be an trustworthy person. And no, he wont preach to clients.
Yea but will he want to marry my daughters.....all of them..... at the same time? ;)

Mike Draper

Search LDS employment center on google. When people of our faith retire, many go on missions. Usually the business owners and educated folks will be placed in these centers to help people of any walks of life find a job and help with resumes and such. They have lots of connections in there. Many times young guys straight off their missions will go their to look for help finding a job. If there is one local, tell them that is what you are looking for. They will agressively try to help. I found 2 of my best workers this way. Both had grown up on a farm and had just come home after serving a mission. These guys were the exception though. I doubt I'll find anther like them.

Reactions: Russ T.

Ivan Turner

Supportive Member
Name
Ivan Turner
SFS has one of the best IT usage policies that I have come across. So far as suggesting or demanding employees edit social media statements - I personally would NOT

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom