is it really important to cool off your machine??

steve g

Name
steve garrett
The machine I run has a heat bypass valve on the front of the machine, normally when I pull the hoses out the machine is maxed out at 250, I normally idle the machine, open this valve up and then roll up the hoses, by the time I am done the machine is cooled off, my question is why is cooling off the machine important

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
less scale
less stress on TM plumbing, not to mention HX or burner coils
(you have super heated water laying in your HXs = heat expansion/pressure)
cool the temps in the sol lines too.

we use the hot water bleed off as a perfect time to fill sprayers, rinse off the wand, fill emulsifier tank/jug, rinse vac hoses, etc

..L.T.A.

B&BGaryC

Name
B&BGaryC
It's kinda fun when it's below zero to bleed off the hot water... The entire house disappears behind a cloud of steam! (sometimes the neighbor's house too.)

I always heard it was good for you HX

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
I always cooled my PC unit down after every job for the same reason Meat says.

Its just common sense.

The Preacher

i let my aircooled engine idle while i roll up hoses.

i also let it idle about 30% power prior to running it up full power, get the fluids warm preheat the line etc!!!

common sense will save you lots of $$$!!!

T

The Magician

Yes and its fun to melt the ice and snow in the cutys drive in winter while kooling off

Able 1

Name
Keith
Steven Hoodlebrink said:
Run it before you leave, so you know if theres any issues before you head out for the first job. Especially in the cold, and as many have said turn the bypass valve and let it cool.

Hotter water will freeze faster. Keeping the HX coils at 200+ temps can lead them to freeze very quickly, ask me how I know... :|

I have heard this and believe it but why dose it freeze faster?

B&BGaryC

Name
B&BGaryC
The same reason why hot water put in your freezer makes icecubes faster. It's nyquil season again so bear with me. I am going to check this tomorrow and wonder WTH?

I think it's partly because the energized water will allow the energy (Kinda like boiling bubbles) to escape the surface of the water faster, and because due to faster energy with the molecules the spaces between the molecules are bigger which allows the cold in better or something.

Wow, this isn't making ssense.

Somebody else tell him why... This would be a good topic for Forsythe... Or Bill Nye the science guy.

:oops:

Larry B

Name
Larry Burrell
Its only a half true myth.

Hot water will not freeze faster than cold water.

Water that has been boiled and then cooled will freeze faster than just cold tap water because all the impurities have been removed. Its the same concept as clean water will freeze faster than dirty water.

Able 1

Name
Keith
In a sealed water line you would think it would hold the heat longer just with the calories of heat energy... No? I really don't know myself but would be intrested...

Off subject I still find my dad the "electrician" putting batteries on wood boards so the concreate won't suck the power out of them... :roll:

B&BGaryC

Name
B&BGaryC
Larry B said:
Its only a half true myth.

Hot water will not freeze faster than cold water.

Water that has been boiled and then cooled will freeze faster than just cold tap water because all the impurities have been removed. Its the same concept as clean water will freeze faster than dirty water.

Poop in a cast iron skillet, fill the skillet with water, and boil all the impurities out.

I betcha that water will still be brown.

Larry B

Name
Larry Burrell
Steven Hoodlebrink said:
Larry,

Google the Mpemba effect, its not a myth.

Don'T need to google it. That was the bases for the tests we done in school. If you read about the Mpemba effect then you will see where it said under certain controlled situations. In a nut shell your chances of freezing hot water in your freezer before cold are very slim. The only way you can get that to happen is if you can get the hot water to start freezing from the bottom or middle before the top freezes over and insulates the water

JFRASER

Poop in a cast iron skillet, fill the skillet with water, and boil all the impurities out.

I betcha that water will still be brown.[/quote]

thass fookin funny.

Greenie

jeezus Hoodie, U are cracking me up, every year this comes up...about this time nonetheless...sometimes u just have to sit back and apply some common sense. The boiling water (unless under extreme pressure) must first cool to room temp, before begining to freeze...all the while the cold water is half way there.

Larry B

Name
Larry Burrell
Greenie

What Steve said is a fact. Boiling water can freeze before cold water but one must take the time to read the scenario in full.

1. Temp must be just right
2. Only certain size and type of container can be used
3. (most Important) You must get the hot water to start freezing from the middle or bottom first. If the container of hot water freezes from the top the thin layer of ice will insulate the warmer water making it hold heat. If the cold water freezes from the top and the warm water starts to crystallize in the middle then the warm water will freeze first.

This is not something you can get to happen by tossing a hose with water outside for a few seconds. Even in controlled situations its hard to make the hot water freeze first.

joey895

Supportive Member
Name
Joey J.
Hmmm well I don't know about all that scientific mumbo jumbo but my wife said someone told her that before about the hot water freezing faster and she tried it side by side with the cold water and the cold water froze faster.

As far as cooling down the machine I'm not sure if it really helps or not but it seems like it would and there is no downside. Like Danny and Larry said just cool it down while winding hoses and fill your pre-spray, etc.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
I let mine idle down as I am rolling up my hoses and picking up my things....it helps it get any moister out of the blower and cool down some....I very rarely turn the truck off in between jobs....most the time it just idles all day...

Rambo

Jim, you must have been a semi-truck driver in a previous life. Most of them let their trucks idle all of the time. Have a great year. I have learned alot from your many post this past year.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
Never drove on in my life....But I do know that a diesel engine is much happier sitting and idling then being turned on and off all the time....Less strain on it........

have a great ..09

MerCrewser

Jim Martin said:
Never drove on in my life....But I do know that a diesel engine is much happier sitting and idling then being turned on and off all the time....Less strain on it........

have a great ..09

Actually, it is bad for a diesel to idle. Engines are supposed to be run under load, or not at all. The CAT engine manual on my buddy's Pete was very specific on this, idling contaminates oil. Still they will idle all night, but thats only to keep the driver warm. We would shut it down and get a hotel room back when diesel was at 5 bucks a gallon. Cheaper. Then, in the morning, CAT wants only a few minutes of warm up and then put it under load.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
If you over Idle your diesel this is true..to have it set for less then 5 min and and cool itself down some then take off and drive it it has no effect...Over idling is those old time truckers who let it set all night and never turn it off........

Greenie

thanks for clarifying....I too have heard this idling thing for years....and wondered...how many hours til you hit the break even point, I could always see the 20 min. idle between jobs and such, or even at lunch running the AC in summer, but never got the run all night old timers.

B&BGaryC

Name
B&BGaryC
It just seems like it would be. You have a bunch of boiling hot water in there and leave it to cool down, seems like it would release a bunch of deposits on the coils and scale it up faster, maybe the scaling would lead to corrosion?

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Dirk Wingrove said:
Someone explain to me why it's hard on the hx to shut down without a cooloff period.

you have super heated water laying in the HX coils not moving.
There's still plenty residual heat in the HX.
with no water flowing, heat spike happens causing expansion due to being trapped in a closed system
and it puts more stress on coils and plumbing that can easily be avoided by cool down

If thermal relief valve fails, it could go POP

even if valve doesn't fail, it's still unnecessary stress on the system

I also think it lessens scale build up

..L.T.A.

Blue Monarch

Supportive Member
Name
Dirk Wingrove
Thanks meat.

The stress portion makes perfect sense. dammit, now I gotta go through the cooldown process. Don't you know I'm a lazy bassturd?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom