IS IT TRASH OR NOT

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
OK you been hearing a funny noise coming from the front of your Direct Drive.....for a week or so.......finally it happens.....driveshaft is toreup......bearings and races are all tore up........whouldya do....?

Dirty Swirler

Name
Joel Hoppe
OK you been hearing a funny noise coming from the front of your Direct Drive.....for a week or so.......finally it happens.....driveshaft is toreup......bearings and races are all tore up........whouldya do....?

Pull out the credit card and pony up.

After 2000 hours one of my u joints broke on the van engine side in the middle of a job. The guard protected v8 from damage. My fault for not greasing that u joint enough because it was a pain every 100 hours.(every month) Rented a van and cleaned 2 weeks worth of work with a portable. $1200 later and waited 2 weeks for parts and repair at local distributor. Lesson learned the hard way. Another 1100 hours and no problems for now.

It would be easier if I had a spare truckmount Hmmmm..........

GCCLee

Supportive Member
Name
C. Lee
Should I just post his # Mikey ?

the correct answer is! Call Bob!

wheres my cookie?

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I've git one of my packout trucks over at the transmission shop, they said it was acting funny Friday when they were using it. Transmission and funny sound like big bucks to me. :icon_cry:

Bawb come fix my tranny.............ooooh that sounded a little ghey.

"Not that there's anything wrong with it." and I do have a gay wedding to go to next month. :pig:

GCCLee

Supportive Member
Name
C. Lee
Bawb come fix my tranny.............ooooh that sounded a little ghey.

"Not that there's anything wrong with it." and I do have a gay wedding to go to next month. :pig:

It isn't yours is it, lol

Reminder !! Never Go Camping With a Guy Named Chavez :lol:

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Reminder !! Never Go Camping With a Guy Named Chavez
lol.gif

:eekk: Hey now...

:lol:

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
No Doc...i was merly going to explain a neat way i lerrnt to fix a wiped out bearing race on a driveshaft inner shaft.......
i'm hanging out wit a machine shop guru that knows absoluty everthing about machine work.......neat stuff!
while back he bought a first generation CNC machine that was junk......he paid junk steel price for it!
after completly rebuilding and restoring including puter circuit boards......now he has a state of the art CNC machine.......i met him when he put a clutch in my 1926 model T....i bought my 1905 Hercules motor from him AND he restored a really old player piano...every piece..PLUS he built an eight barrel gattling gun....crank the handle and all hell breaks lose!

all i was attempting to do was hep some poor nimrod on here that may has wiped a shaft out......but.....nevermind!

GCCLee

Supportive Member
Name
C. Lee
Moderator BawB
PLEASE start the thread as a tutorial and threaten to set fire to anyone's pc who interrupts it. The info you are attempting to provide us is PRICELESS.

Actually a Hardware Techincal Forum would be sweet.

I for one would love to have a thread that was essentially a printable how to, without all the manure (guilty btw) in the middle.

Chris

Name
Lee Stockwell
Moderator BawB
PLEASE start the thread as a tutorial and threaten to set fire to anyone's pc who interrupts it. The info you are attempting to provide us is PRICELESS.

Actually a Hardware Techincal Forum would be sweet.

I for one would love to have a thread that was essentially a printable how to, without all the manure (guilty btw) in the middle.

Chris
agree x2

Reactions: GCCLee

FredC

Village Idiot
How about just telling us before you are reunited with the purple flame.............we only have so much time

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
OK...it's clear here that SOME of ya's need a little hep from time to time......
although i have no pics to hep me explain the process...i'll use my verbal skills the best i can!
after you hear the first tell tale sound of a driveshaft bearing going out...STOP! remove the complete DS from the truck.....my grand daughter could do it......take off the front clutch.....put a piece of 2' x 6' on the garage floor....and hold the DS vertically front end down over the wood and bang it down.....this action will result in the inner shaft popping out like butter and you won't bugger up the threads on the end....
NOW......check the bearing races...if good go ahead and replace bearings and yor good to go....HOWEVER most of the time the bearing race will be chewed up.......
If this is the case...find a competent machine shop

Go out to an Applied Technology store near you and match up the bearings ( buy two ) (Japan NOT Chinese) most DS will take the zz5500 bearing but take yours anyway....
NOW it gets cool.......have the race turned down to the normal shaft size ( inside bearing size) Then using tool steel have them turn down a new race 5 thousand SMALLER inside dia......find a fridge wher you can stick the end of the DS into the ice cube tray then HEAT the tool steel race that you jus made a little smaller...........once the race is hot and the shaft is cold.........press the new race in place....you will have a better shaft than came from the factory...yor welcome very much!

Last edited:
Name
Nate W.
If one knows how to make and play with liquid nitrogen, can I use that instead of a freezer? My best friend is a a/c tech for TRANE.. Dude knows his stuff...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom