Is it worth it?

I NEED a bigger truck like yesterday.

With the rotary tools (rx and 175, brushes, pads, tile tools, power-stretching and all the tools that come with carpet repair, fans, deuhus (don't own any but would like to, fresh water, chems, and everything else we need, I am not doing too well with my setup. Sure I can get what I need for particular jobs, but I have to swap tools.

If I had a bigger truck, I wouldn't carry everything at once, but it would be nice if I had to. Really I need to bigger truck to carry more freshwater and and transport necessary tools. What I have is working, but only to some degree.

I have been looking at trucks going down the road. Most of the box trucks are just FUGLY. They look cheaply made.

I saw what I wanted to buy until I found out the price. The Sprinter box truck is the best looking commercial truck imo.

So my question; is it worth spending 40k plus on a commercial truck, or just continue doing what you have been?

I paid 4200 for my van and could easily get 4k out of it even after using it for two years. I did put 1800 into a transmission. It runs great and was a good buy to me.

I would pay 15k for something decent, but no luck in finding what I want.

Something like Jim Martins would be great, but I don't want to spend big money.

I am trying to purchase a rental home. I would rather put my money in it because I would be getting a great deal that I could make 10-20k if I sold it (purchase price is everything), it would keep paying me month after month even if I am hurt etc, and I can always borrow against it. You can't borrow against a carpet cleaning truck. That is why spending big money on one imo is dumb.

The point is even if I am more productive, I will never really make more money. I will likely lose money in the long run.

joeynbgky

Supportive Member
Name
Joey
Why not ad a small enclosed trailer and pull it behind. You wouldnt even know its there.

Sent from my g2 using tapatalk. Whofat

S

sam miller

joeynbgky said:
Why not ad a small enclosed trailer and pull it behind. You wouldnt even know its there.

Thats what I was thinking as long as parking and mobility isnt an issue

mirf

Supportive Member
Name
David Mirfin
I think the trailer is fine. But if you have the demand for more services on a regular basis the truck should make more than the rental home

dmirf1@msn.com said:
I think the trailer is fine. But if you have the demand for more services on a regular basis the truck should make more than the rental home[/quote
Agreed, but I would rather spend the cash on a home and borrow against it. A trailer is not an option. Van engine is not big enough. I also need to carry a generator. O guess I am waiting on a deal. I'm not paying retail (60 k for a sprinter box). Geeze that's a pile.

joeynbgky

Supportive Member
Name
Joey
What about a new nissan raised roof van under 30k new much cheaper than sprinter

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
danielc said:

With the rotary tools (rx and 175, brushes, pads, tile tools, power-stretching and all the tools that come with carpet repair, fans, deuhus (don't own any but would like to, fresh water, chems, and everything else we need, I am not doing too well with my setup. Sure I can get what I need for particular jobs, but I have to swap tools.

If I had a bigger truck, I wouldn't carry everything at once, but it would be nice if I had to. Really I need to bigger truck to carry more freshwater and and transport necessary tools. What I have is working, but only to some degree.

I have been looking at trucks going down the road. Most of the box trucks are just FUGLY. They look cheaply made.

I saw what I wanted to buy until I found out the price. The Sprinter box truck is the best looking commercial truck imo.

So my question; is it worth spending 40k plus on a commercial truck, or just continue doing what you have been?

I paid 4200 for my van and could easily get 4k out of it even after using it for two years. I did put 1800 into a transmission. It runs great and was a good buy to me.

I am trying to purchase a rental home. I would rather put my money in it because I would be getting a great deal that I could make 10-20k if I sold it (purchase price is everything), it would keep paying me month after month even if I am hurt etc, and I can always borrow against it. You can't borrow against a carpet cleaning truck. That is why spending big money on one imo is dumb.

The point is even if I am more productive, I will never really make more money. I will likely lose money in the long run.

fckin A that made me dizzy....

..l.T.A.

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
meAt said:
danielc said:

fckin A that made me dizzy....

..l.T.A.

DITTTOOOOOOO

SO you say all the box trucks you see are ugly, yet you like Jims??? His is just a simple chevy 4500....dozens of them out there...and the sprinter with a box is nice...but its uglier then the others...

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
one more thing....

its not a loss of money, its an investment into helping you make more....sure it breaks down over time...everything does...even a house...

BUT

I would never clean if i had to do it out of a van...you guys are nuts

joeynbgky

Supportive Member
Name
Joey
I do good enough trying to park my chevy express. Now I got a ford extended and I dont like parallel parking with it

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
I don;t understand- you want a truck or truck/system?

I buy big trucks every year brand new for 30k or less.

Larry is so right, my head is spinning reading your post.

Mike Draper

A good truck setup should pull you in well over a million dollars over its life, let's say 10+ yrs. How much is that rental going to pay you? I'm way more productive with my new box truck. Since day 1 in my business I haved alway tracked and calculated every tm hour for profit and gross. I make 45.00 an hour more with my new truck. At a very minimum that should b a 25g a year raise just in being more productive. To me it makes more sense to invest in your business.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
The question is ....Is it worth it to you?

Can you make enough money to more than warrant the cost?

Will you be able to increase your business after you buy it?

Having the van doesn't make you money...It costs you money.

YOU have to make the money to pay for the van and everything else.

If you are losing money because you don't have the vehicle....then by all means buy it.

You can probably get a better deal on a used one if you have enough cash to purchase it outright.

Check your used lots for one.....do your homework and don't get screwed on the price.

Myself, I don't see buying a $40,000.00 van just for shits and giggles when I know I can make the same money out of a full size van....But that's just me....that's the way I am.

Call Steve Cameron and talk to him about it. One of the smarter guys here and he has a sprinter or 2 and loves them.

N

neapolitan

Houses are still going down! The deals are getting better every month. I hope you have a $500 plus cash flow on the rental or it will cost your money. Even with great credit banks are not not doing alot of 2nds. Keep your cash and wait for a deal that you can not pass on comes by on a truck. Kyle

N

neapolitan

I have a 06 and 07 sprinter that are still going strong also they pay for there payments with the savings in fuel every month.

Shorty

RIP
Name
Shorty Glanville
Fugly trucks ??

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Some people don't want you to rock up in your 60K truck, (Hell, is THAT why our carpets costs so much to clean).?

How many customers come and ask you if they can check out your wheels.?

Or ask you what it costs you.?

Keep it simple, neat, clean & well signed so everyone knows who you are.

Maintain it well and it will repay you well.

My .021c

C

CleaningLA

Went from a chevy van to my box truck I'll never go back.
So yes for me it was.

PCCN

danielc said:

Been there - Done that!

Had vans i changed tools out in daily. BUTTTTTTTTTTTTTT, you are not going to find a pretty box truck. They are utility vehicles. Just paint/wrap it professionally and customers aprpeciate simplicity.

Yea, trailers are cheaper, but do you really want to worry about backing that thing in and out of tight spaces, drives, and garages? DON'T THINK SO.

Bought our 12' box from a used lot, $5000, had my shelves made like I wanted, and reels mounted to ceiling and walls to keep floor space open. Never have to want for anything on a job- its all in there. (Unless I have to put the portable onboard for a special highrise).

You do need to remember that they are NOT cheap on gas and if you live with cold winters, you do have to be prepared to heat that big box or have a space for it to be indoors. Ours is 10' tall and no way it fits in my garage. Takes 2 heaters on those freezing nights to prevent me from getting busted lines.

Good luck but think it through.

N

neapolitan

Get a 2001 to 2003 ford box with a 7.3 if you want a cash truck and keep the van for backup. You can get one for 6 or 7 in florida with no rust and 70 thousand miles. If you go with a sprinter the best year was 2006 after that mpg went way down. My 2006 gets in the 21 range and the 2007 is around 17. Some months I still spend $1600 in fuel. If I had a box trucks getting 10mpg and 8mpg I would spend $3200 in fuel. lets say I pay $1350 in sprinter payments. So, It is like driving around nice vans and getting paid $250 to do it because of the fuel savings. I have owned fords, chevys, and just about everything else and these vans have been the best. And the maintenance is not that bad but you need to be on time with all the fluid changes or you could have problems. So, is buying a rental going to pay you to drive a new van and give you $250 with 0 headaches?

John Watson

I have all I need in a 1ton stretch. Shaft drive,heat exchanger machine, because of the smaller footprint, (Saph. now has slide-ins with almost same footprint) We carry 120 gal of fresh if we need to. (Normally keep 1/2 full keeping refilled at easy connections) I modified my power Vac hose reel stand so all carpet repair tools (except for my behr claw and power head which are mounted on the face of the freshy tank) fit under, thats install tool box, roberts crab, seaming irons (both type). All jucies and powders I might need are on my 3 tiered shelf and the jug storage of the freshy tank. 2 2x8x6' ramps (for load/unload Cimex) Our Cimex, with extra pads and brush sets. I also carry a small 12 in rotary brush machine for extra Resi aggitation when needed. Leather cleaning box, color rep. box, med water claw for pet jobs, Tile and grout cleanand seal tools. 2 vacs (uprite and a mitey mite canister) ULV fogger and Dri Dri drapery kit, step stool, 12 volt multi sprayer, brushes,rakes and specialty brushes andtools used and needed for proper cleaning and grooming. corner gards, steam iron, Uph.dry tool, stair tool, carpet wand,3 gal mix/fill bucket, Carry bag with aprox 10 sets of sliders, all type tabs,blocks hooks bungee towels furniture lifter plus more. We still have room for picking up rugs, YES, even 2-3 9x12's will fit. we use what we call a tri roll on the larger rugs to make them easy for 1 to handle and load. Ialso have a colapsable rug cart for bigger or super heavy ruggs. I am sure I have left something out cause I always seem to find things I even forgot I had... If I still did WD I would have 3 am and 1-2 DH on board. spotting kit and a specilty spoting kit. Trk avg 14 15 mpg uses approx 1 1/2 gal gas per cleaning Hr.

Please remember I service a large area with lots of drive time and hate togo back to an area cause I forgot something but it still happens 1 or 2 time a year.

C

CleaningLA

John Watson said:
I have all I need in a 1ton stretch. Shaft drive,heat exchanger machine, because of the smaller footprint, (Saph. now has slide-ins with almost same footprint) We carry 120 gal of fresh if we need to. (Normally keep 1/2 full keeping refilled at easy connections) I modified my power Vac hose reel stand so all carpet repair tools (except for my behr claw and power head which are mounted on the face of the freshy tank) fit under, thats install tool box, roberts crab, seaming irons (both type). All jucies and powders I might need are on my 3 tiered shelf and the jug storage of the freshy tank. 2 2x8x6' ramps (for load/unload Cimex) Our Cimex, with extra pads and brush sets. I also carry a small 12 in rotary brush machine for extra Resi aggitation when needed. Leather cleaning box, color rep. box, med water claw for pet jobs, Tile and grout cleanand seal tools. 2 vacs (uprite and a mitey mite canister) ULV fogger and Dri Dri drapery kit, step stool, 12 volt multi sprayer, brushes,rakes and specialty brushes andtools used and needed for proper cleaning and grooming. corner gards, steam iron, Uph.dry tool, stair tool, carpet wand,3 gal mix/fill bucket, Carry bag with aprox 10 sets of sliders, all type tabs,blocks hooks bungee towels furniture lifter plus more. We still have room for picking up rugs, YES, even 2-3 9x12's will fit. we use what we call a tri roll on the larger rugs to make them easy for 1 to handle and load. Ialso have a colapsable rug cart for bigger or super heavy ruggs. I am sure I have left something out cause I always seem to find things I even forgot I had... If I still did WD I would have 3 am and 1-2 DH on board. spotting kit and a specilty spoting kit. Trk avg 14 15 mpg uses approx 1 1/2 gal gas per cleaning Hr.

Please remember I service a large area with lots of drive time and hate togo back to an area cause I forgot something but it still happens 1 or 2 time a year.
Post a pic of your rig man sounds like you are super organized

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I agree I'd buy the unit over a rental. The rental has limited potential for return, where the cleaning unit is only limited by the work load you have for it.

chevy_spartancargo_large.jpg

You can always go box truck, I ordered one similar to this last month, but with swingout side doors. Although it won't be built until fall when the 2012's come out.

It would give you the space you would want for your tools and fresh water, plus have room for pickup of rugs or drying equipment for WDR work.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
Been there - Done that!

Had vans i changed tools out in daily. BUTTTTTTTTTTTTTT, you are not going to find a pretty box truck. They are utility vehicles. Just paint/wrap it professionally and customers aprpeciate simplicity.

Yea, trailers are cheaper, but do you really want to worry about backing that thing in and out of tight spaces, drives, and garages? DON'T THINK SO.

Bought our 12' box from a used lot, $5000, had my shelves made like I wanted, and reels mounted to ceiling and walls to keep floor space open. Never have to want for anything on a job- its all in there. (Unless I have to put the portable onboard for a special highrise).

You do need to remember that they are NOT cheap on gas and if you live with cold winters, you do have to be prepared to heat that big box or have a space for it to be indoors. Ours is 10' tall and no way it fits in my garage. Takes 2 heaters on those freezing nights to prevent me from getting busted lines.

Good luck but think it through.
[/quote]

not all are ugly....it is all in how it is built and how you take care of it....this box is one of the better built one out there I have ever seen.......have all the room in the world to organize and haul everything you need...they are built to work....to carry heavy loads...and it don't even flinch at the weight I put in it....where could you go wrong......

IMG_5274-1.jpg

IMG_5029.jpg

Yes and now I have a hard on after looking at your truck. I can spend 25k but not 60 to 70 like the ballers here.

I'm going to get something, but I will wait for a deal.

steve frasier

Supportive Member
Name
steve frasier
unless you are handy and have the time doing fix up in a rental house, I wouldn't do it

good renters can be hard to find and if they f up the rental, it ain't cheap to get it fixed

Chris A

Name
Chris
Doc Holliday said:
I agree I'd buy the unit over a rental. The rental has limited potential for return, where the cleaning unit is only limited by the work load you have for it.

chevy_spartancargo_large.jpg

You can always go box truck, I ordered one similar to this last month, but with swingout side doors. Although it won't be built until fall when the 2012's come out.

It would give you the space you would want for your tools and fresh water, plus have room for pickup of rugs or drying equipment for WDR work.

What did that truck/box run you Rich?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom