Is our industry considered a Trade?

F

FB7777

It's easy to train guys how to operate the unit, vacuum, prespray, scrub, rinse, etc. It's a lot more difficult to train them to notice when the unit isn't working properly, when and how to remove stains, what to clean, what not to clean, with what product, etc. Chavez has been around so long, he's forgotten more than most of us will ever learn. Like a lot of you here, I have invested in multiple courses, learned from other skilled professionals, practiced stain removal on scraps or my own carpets. Learned how and why certain chemistry works on different carpets and fabrics. How to properly use the equipment and accessories. Learned why some carpets buckle and why others don't. There are so many aspects of the carpet and upholstery cleaning industry and related fields to learn. You are not going to learn them in a day, a month or even a year. Guys working for the big franchises and the like are not tradesmen. They are trained chimps. Monkey see, monkey do. If monkey does doo doo, call the manager to make it right. Guys who take their craft seriously, are tradesmen. We have lots of tradesmen on this forum and a few monkeys too. You be the judge, are you a tradesman or are you a trained ape?

There-in lies the beauty of the carpet cleaning field ( notice I did not say carpet cleaning skilled trade)

If you possess all or most of the positive traits you state , plus have a charming personality you absolutely can not fail. In fact I believe you will financially thrive.

However a great majority of the fuzzy stuff is being cleaned by low skilled workers that have less than a year in the field

And most people are fine with it

Reactions: Lee Stockwell

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
There-in lies the beauty of the carpet cleaning field ( notice I did not say carpet cleaning skilled trade)

If you possess all or most of the positive traits you state , plus have a charming personality you absolutely can not fail. In fact I believe you will financially thrive.

However a great majority of the fuzzy stuff is being cleaned by low skilled workers that have less than a year in the field

And most people are fine with it
And on most construction sites, the framing is nailed together by temporary workers who are to trained swing a hammer or use a nail gun. They may have been shown how to do it by a tradesman but are not tradesmen themselves.

F

FB7777

My house was built primarily by summer grunts and day laborers, what's your point?

but my property was surveyed by a civil engineer, plans were prepared by an architect and a licensed builder was required to obtain a building permit

Every trade has low and unskilled labor, our field doesn't require government over site which I'm grateful for

I don't think your analogy applies

I just don't consider our industry equivalent to construction, electrical, plumbing, masonry, even hair dressing

We aren't licensed and there are no state or federal codes for our workmanship

We're maids, janitors, landscapers et al

Embrace it and Don't be insulted or even discouraged by this reality, most of my friends are tradesmen, salesmen and white collar professionals that would love to dress as they like and have less regulation in the professional life

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
My house was built primarily by summer grunts and day laborers, what's your point?

but my property was surveyed by a civil engineer, plans were prepared by an architect and a licensed builder was required to obtain a building permit

Every trade has low and unskilled labor, our field doesn't require government over site which I'm grateful for

I don't think your analogy applies

I just don't consider our industry equivalent to construction, electrical, plumbing, masonry, even hair dressing

We aren't licensed and there are no state or federal codes for our workmanship

We're maids, janitors, landscapers et al

Embrace it and Don't be insulted or even discouraged by this reality, most of my friends are tradesmen, salesmen and white collar professionals that would love to dress as they like and have less regulation in the professional life
We may not be licensed or regulated but we do have standards. Written standards. Trade associations and certification boards.

F

FB7777

yes we do.... just like janitors and landscapers :biggrin:

And they're Primarily run by goobers that couldn't make it in business or got into teaching cause they got hurt with no health insurance

You sound like an arm patch goober that needs to let your 'clients' know how trained you are.

I bet your business card says Textile Consultant

Secretaries and stewardess suffer the same affliction

My customers simply love their little suckmop guys that clean they're messes

Last edited by a moderator:
F

FB7777

Most cleaner don't even know what is in the Standards. Others choose to ignore them by not vacuuming or grooming.

You can't explain this to Patch boys

I love calling my self a janitor in customers homes... they come to our defense

However, I bet they'd roll their eyes or have a private chuckle if I tried to explain how much 'training and certification' I've got

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Most cleaner don't even know what is in the Standards. Others choose to ignore them by not vacuuming or grooming.
The question was, as an industry, are we considered a trade. I would say yes. Of course we have different levels of skill and training. Just like every other trade. We are self regulated but still have applicable standards and procedures, even if we don't always apply all of them. Just like every other trade.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I believe it's a far reach. A desperate one.
There are no trade schools for our craft.

Our standard is great but I had a receptionist take the test since she was at the class and she scored a 96. Higher than any of my techs that cleaned daily. It's not that hard.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Most people don't know any better because they think all carpet cleaners do the same job.
I think there is a difference between those that just go through the motions and those that truly care. I don't believe most customers do however. Most see it as a commodity, much like going to a car wash.

Doug Cox

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Cox
I think there is a difference between those that just go through the motions and those that truly care. I don't believe most customers do however. Most see it as a commodity, much like going to a car wash.
If it always comes down to price and they choose middle of the road or lower quality thats where they may never experience a truly great carpet cleaning

Doug Cox

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Cox
Too large of a price difference between an average cleaning and a superior cleaning. My competition is actually priced more than me , so I have little resistance. But their quality doesn't compare.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Until they get someone who cares. Believe me, they do notice the difference.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
What in your opinion would you say compromises "a truly great carpet cleaning"?

lta

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
What about the RotoRooter guy. Is the poopoo sucker a trade also? If it is, then so are we

Enough said

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom