Is pre-spraying overrated

I'm not talking about grease pit restaurants, but your average soiled to even pretty soiled residential.

I have always pre-sprayed everything, but lately it seems most carpets clean just fine with a little slurry. Today I had a customer move every single piece of furniture (beds, dressers, computer tables, end tables, sofas, and everything else right into the center of each room. Gee thanks! So I adjusted my price and cleaned away. No prespray and the carpet was pretty dirty, but cleaned like new with a light mixture of slurry. Slurry calls for 12 scoops but I usually just mix three to four scoops. I can see how it would cut just about anything if mixed a little stronger and especially with guys using flame throwing high flow set-ups.

We even dual wanded four jobs last week that were pretty bad, but we did not pre-spray them because the water was locked and we needed to conserve. I cranked the machine to high, just used slurry, and the carpet cleaned like new. I was very impressed.

I know the worst areas need to be treated, but I would bet money that a high flow machine with 200 plus degree water and a decent detergent would cut stripes through even the dirtiest carpet.

dday

When I started with SS back in 1986, there was no such thing as pre-spray (to us) ... and the carpet cleaned real nice.

If only we had time for a dry stroke ...

Captain Morgan

Supportive Member
Name
Bill Morgan
the guy I bought my business from never used prespray and said it was just a gimmick from the chem manufactures to spend more money. He put something down but it might have been a deodorizer, he said it was resolve. Kept it in plain unmarked jugs.. secret.. deuche bag.

He used a fresh water rinse. No emulsifier although he did give me a half used pail of SteamWay Formula A.

He had plenty of heat with the Powermatic so I don't know if a plain ultra hot water rinse is just as good as using prespay/no emulsifier or no prespary/only emulsifier to clean.

Maybe Daniel is onto something. I use both but I've wondered if maybe the former owner was onto something.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
If you clean moderately soiled homes with a detergent in line, pre spraying (short of high traffic areas, foods etc) will not be necessary.

Unless of course, you want to buy more chemicals and support our national economy :p

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
4 pieces of the pie , you can take away one and just increase the others. however,exactly how is the rinse supposed to clean thoroughly is just a few seconds.

the job will come out cleaner and with less work if you prespray.

gene

joeynbgky

Supportive Member
Name
Joey
I don't think the wand rinse or slurry is on the carpet to make much difference...... does that make sense?

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
danielc said:
I'm not talking about grease pit restaurants, but your average soiled to even pretty soiled residential.

I have always pre-sprayed everything, but lately it seems most carpets clean just fine with a little slurry. Today I had a customer move every single piece of furniture (beds, dressers, computer tables, end tables, sofas, and everything else right into the center of each room. Gee thanks! So I adjusted my price and cleaned away. No prespray and the carpet was pretty dirty, but cleaned like new with a light mixture of slurry. Slurry calls for 12 scoops but I usually just mix three to four scoops. I can see how it would cut just about anything if mixed a little stronger and especially with guys using flame throwing high flow set-ups.

We even dual wanded four jobs last week that were pretty bad, but we did not pre-spray them because the water was locked and we needed to conserve. I cranked the machine to high, just used slurry, and the carpet cleaned like new. I was very impressed.

I know the worst areas need to be treated, but I would bet money that a high flow machine with 200 plus degree water and a decent detergent would cut stripes through even the dirtiest carpet.

OMG, are we really going to go down this line of thinking???? so many thoughts but my fingers wont keep up and then itll sound like rambling...

Mike Draper said:
When you say "dry slurry" what do you mean? I've only ever known pre-spraying

Drapes really??? tell me you are kidding. :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

and conserving water and cant spare that extra 5-10 gallons huh????

holy f'n hack batman

Five jobs all dirty and not a speck of prespray that cleaned up like new.

Yea Doug if you run a decent detergent and heat you do not have to prespray most carpets.

And with the heat and flow that you run wtf are you doing mixing 30 oz of powermax in a jug for on every job?

I guarantee 230 and slurry will clean even the dirtiest carpet with ease.

If I had the flow and heat you do, I wouldn't prespray a thing.

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
i dont like the thought of leaving something in/on the carpet....in fact i cringe the few times i decide to run a rinse...

fresh H20 for me.....though i want a softner....but....

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
the job will come out cleaner and with less work if you prespray.

BINGO

I guarantee 230 and slurry will clean even the dirtiest carpet with ease.
If I had the flow and heat you do, I wouldn't prespray a thing.

Dan'l, I agree Dry Slurry is an excellent emulsifier
but you must be using some crAppy pre-sprays if you can't tell much difference on a moderately soiled carpet :roll:

..L.T.A.

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
If cleaning with just the slurry, go back in a month and check out the TL's. I'm sure you're leaving a residue in that carpet.

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
You definitely would want to have your clients be forced to live with butyl.

Ummm.... hazardous!!

Charlie Lyman

Supportive Member
Name
Charlie Lyman
I cleaned a place today that the lady just wanted about 4 inches around the edge of one room cleaned (she had an area rug covering the rest of room). I thought I would just hit it with the water (with clean free rinse) and move on to the next room. The dirt didn't budge, so I had to hit it with powermax. It came right off after that. I couldn't imagine working without prespray.

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
One step cleaning was THEE way of cleaning....in the 80's
We've since learned that the BEST way is prespray - rinse.

The guy I bought my Big Red from was totally sold on Chemspec Formula 90 and a RX 20. He would go in and just start in on it, no prep what so ever, just 2 - 3 cups of Form90 in 200 gal tank and the RX 20. His thought was that if he left the carpet fairly dry he didn't leave much on the carpet. 20-25cents/sf
His experience with Prespray -Rinse was a guy over in Vancouver that would apply prespray 1-2ft up the walls when he sprayed it so of course he had no use for it.

One step cleaning will work if you have a strong enough cleaner. Its just an antiquated method.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I think it can be done but I would guess slows you down in the traffic areas making you go over it more stokes than if you had presprayed. Wasting time and adding additional moisture to the area.

Or if it doesn't you slow you down you're using too strong a solution and you risk some fieber stiffness and potential resoiling issues.

I'd cut back on your prespray but I would eliminate it on the traffic areas.

lust1kiddo

Supportive Member
Pre Spray = Shot of TLC + Shot of Citrus + Scoup of OSR ( if I have to get gangsta..)

I let it sit for a some time while i set up...

Then I rinse with Liquid One Clean..2oz/5 gallons
Sometimes I have to use the upholstery tool on a few stains or at the doorways to rooms.

Sofa's..pre spray only cushions and arms..the rest will just rinse off.

Rugs is a different story..

But I pre spray every time..most things just come right off where in the beginning I would have to formula 90 nuke everything and pray i didnt fry something to get less results than this process.
Iseeru

Name
I'm Rick James
Butyl is a known neurotoxin that can have serious health effect for people, so be careful when using it. I use Trashed Green with a fresh water rinse and the stuff is seriously amazing. I also like to have the surface tension of the carpet broke before I start cleaning.

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
Caduceus said:
Butyl is a known neurotoxin that can have serious health effect for people, so be careful when using it. I use Trashed Green with a fresh water rinse and the stuff is seriously amazing. I also like to have the surface tension of the carpet broke before I start cleaning.

thats what my issue is :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

please maybe if you drink it....
back in the day My dad bought chems at a place and we bottled our own.....so i would have to hold bottles in the 55 gallon drum to fill them...so when it got below 3/4 i would have to have my head in the concentrate.....noooo know issues for me

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
floorguy said:
.noooo know issues for me

that's what YOU think.....
we all think differently :shock:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

:mrgreen:

butyls can be used responsibly .

truth is, there is no hazard concern to the custy (unless they have "genuine" sensitivities ) which is a very small percentage of the population .
there IS more concern for us though, cause we're in them every day .
Our exposure is 1000* times greater than our average custy's

* that figure is based on the custy having their carpets cleaned once pr year and the cleaner doing a 1000 jobs a year

anyone trying to convince a custy that butyls are dangerous to them, are sleazy marketers trying to hawk their own service .....or dopes that don't know any better

..L.T.A.

steve g

Name
steve garrett
dude, if you think prespray is overrated your using the wrong prespray. I have been using prochem stuff since I started in '95, when I first started out at rainbow we didn't have HF sprayers so all we cleaned with generally was dryslurry metered thought he truckmount. SOOOOOO I have been there and done that. on residential berber carpets I think DS is enough in alot of cases to forgo the prespray. although I still spray them anyways. this was just my observations back then, AFTER I switched over and worked for another cleaning company that also used the same prochem juice. but the second place I worked for had HF sprayers and goodness sakes it was a big difference in cleaning. I can't imagine not using prespray.

DS simply does not have the ability to break loose the oils and soil like a prespray will. I am kinda scared actually at the kind of end product you are putting out if you think you can omit prespray. particularly with polyesters you need prespary AND agitation to get those clean and that is about 40% of the carpets I am cleaning nowadays. I also just run a prespray with soft water rinse most of the time.

steve frasier

Supportive Member
Name
steve frasier
all things being equal, I would rather use it as a prespray and rinse it out then leave the crap behind in the carpet

next time you clean one of those dirty carpets that look so good when you are done, rub the carpet in the traffic lane with a white towel

B&BGaryC

Name
B&BGaryC
MicahR's dad mixed his own prespray for years. He seems to be healthy but he says he has sinus issues from all the butyl.

S

sam miller

I prespray everything cup or 2 of express lane and 4 to 1 hydroforce rake it in extract with liquid 90 or liqua pro now or textile rinse depending on the carpet condition.

then I keep a little spotter in a hand sprayer for gum ink ect.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom