Is protector worthwhile on solution-dyed nylon?

Johnny

Supportive Member
Name
Johnny
Cleaning 2,400 s.f. solution-dyed nylon tomorrow. Does this stuff have external dye sites? I'm not going to sell the owner protector if it's of little or no value on this fiber.

Much obliged.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Not for dye blocking. They are naturally blocked.
Of course you'll get the shpiel about vacuuming better....and bidding .....and if you buy into it.....
make Dupont's day :p

billyeadon

Supportive Member
Name
Bill Yeadon
Yes it will still be effective on retarding the 3 types of soils: water soluble, solvent soluble and insoluble. Just as with any warranty all it means is that it will do this better than a non treated carpet. You have to determine whether or not it is worthwhile.

Scotchgard or Teflon are about a nickel a foot. If you sell it for .08 you are making a little profit and not gouging the customer by any means.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
billyeadon said:
Yes it will still be effective on retarding the 3 types of soils: water soluble, solvent soluble and insoluble. Just as with any warranty all it means is that it will do this better than a non treated carpet. You have to determine whether or not it is worthwhile.

Scotchgard or Teflon are about a nickel a foot. If you sell it for .08 you are making a little profit and not gouging the customer by any means.

Just wondering Bill.
Retarding?

Does it mean that one has to be a retard to buy that argument?
Retarding how?
I assume by the beading and the vacuum better theory.

The beading is true for a short time, particularly short for heavy use areas as it wears off.
Vacuuming, I've never seen a scientific article that proves that Tefloned or ScotchGarded carpets will scratch less and last longer. And I'm not talking about one of those "independent" research laboratories. We know who pays for their 'independence.'

1) Small profit to the carpet cleaner= A nice profit for the manufacturer.
2) You'd be introducing one more chemical to their any how too loaded with chemicals environment.

Their carpet will do just fine without it!

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
The biggest threat to carpet life is abrasive particle soil. A good protector makes vacuuming more efficient and thus vacuuming removes more of this abrasive soil. Carpet lasts longer. I have seen this proven in testing laboratories and demonstrated it many times.

If you are not convinced of this, I will send you some samples and instructions on how to prove it to yourself.

Solution dyed nylon does have dye sites. It is still nylon. The dye sites did not disappear. Pigments are used for coloring. Some of the dyes sites may or may not be filled. The solution dyeing process results in more stable color and allows you to use stronger cleaning products without removing the or fading the color, but the dye sites are still there and can still be stained.

Oily stains on solution dyed nylon are no different than oily stains on any other nylon. A good protector helps.

If you use a protector with acid-dye resistors, (Maxim Advanced) you also get protection against food coloring in soft drinks, sports drinks and so forth.

You might not see beading, but that is not really important in commercial situation. It is not likely someone is going to come and blot up a spill before it gets tracked into the carpet. But the staining material is still prevented from being locked into the fiber.

It nice to be on the same side of a discussion as Bill. :)

timnelson

scottw said:
The biggest threat to carpet life is abrasive particle soil. A good protector makes vacuuming more efficient and thus vacuuming removes more of this abrasive soil. Carpet lasts longer. I have seen this proven in testing laboratories and demonstrated it many times.

If you are not convinced of this, I will send you some samples and instructions on how to prove it to yourself.

Solution dyed nylon does have dye sites. It is still nylon. The dye sites did not disappear. Pigments are used for coloring. Some of the dyes sites may or may not be filled. The solution dyeing process results in more stable color and allows you to use stronger cleaning products without removing the or fading the color, but the dye sites are still there and can still be stained.

Oily stains on solution dyed nylon are no different than oily stains on any other nylon. A good protector helps.

If you use a protector with acid-dye resistors, (Maxim Advanced) you also get protection against food coloring in soft drinks, sports drinks and so forth.

You might not see beading, but that is not really important in commercial situation. It is not likely someone is going to come and blot up a spill before it gets tracked into the carpet. But the staining material is still prevented from being locked into the fiber.

It nice to be on the same side of a discussion as Bill. :)

X2

Many people still believe that SD nylon does not stain. In fact, it stains at least as readily as conventionally dyed nylon.

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Ofer Kolton said:
Just wondering Bill.
Retarding?

Does it mean that one has to be a retard to buy that argument?
Retarding how?
I assume by the beading and the vacuum better theory.

The beading is true for a short time, particularly short for heavy use areas as it wears off.
Vacuuming, I've never seen a scientific article that proves that Tefloned or ScotchGarded carpets will scratch less and last longer. And I'm not talking about one of those "independent" research laboratories. We know who pays for their 'independence.'

1) Small profit to the carpet cleaner= A nice profit for the manufacturer.
2) You'd be introducing one more chemical to their any how too loaded with chemicals environment.

Their carpet will do just fine without it!
The advent of "encap cleaning" has kept heavy traffic on commercial carpet cleaner with occasional vacuuming.

A "fluorochemical protector" is more effective than encap chemistry;

and will keep the carpet cleaner.

I would look at the color of the carpet,

and number of spills on the carpet to see if protection is justified.

Larry

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
timnelson said:
Many people still believe that SD nylon does not stain. In fact, it stains at least as readily as conventionally dyed nylon.
Not my experience Pete. And I had a solution dyed nylon in my home for 7 years (till we moved.)
Definitely DOES NOT stain like a regular nylon.
No comparison.

Able 1

Name
Keith
Solution-dyed is the best out there if you ask me, and the only time I really push protector..

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom