Is the Cimex still king?

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Durango, Colorado/Santiago, Dominican Republic
Name
Steve Toburen
I have a single
page of operator training if you want it. It MIGHT keep you from bitchin for a while......a short while. ; )

Congrats!
Like that is going to happen, Richard! But even so I will try...

Marty, here is a 21 point list for "commercial encapsulation routes" that might be of value:

1. When you enter each job- Double check your Job Profile and any other paperwork and do an initial walkthrough and pre-inspection before you start cleaning. Then make your “clock in” call to your supervisor. If in doubt if an area should be cleaned please ask your supervisor. If your supervisor can’t be reached call the General Manager.

2. Suspicious activity- If you notice anything out of the ordinary call your supervisor. Their job is to consult with and advise you. Our supervisors can’t do this if you don’t stay in touch. (There is a list of all supervisor and company emergency numbers on the bottom of each Job Profile.)

3. Key security- Never set keys or entry cards down or leave them in doors. Always keep keys and cards securely in your pocket. This is extremely important as sometimes you are given master keys to the buildings. Just one lost key could cost us thousands of dollars to have all the locks replaced OR result in our immediate termination!

4. Starting the Cyclone- When either starting or shutting down the Cimex always slightly lift the head off the ground. This will prevent premature wear to the belts and eliminate any pile distortion.

5. Pre-vacuuming- Thoroughly vacuum all carpet to be cleaned. If there are two people on the job normally one will start pre-vacuuming while the other employee is setting up the Cyclone and then the second employee will get the encapsulation process started as soon as possible. Remember, if the Cyclone isn’t moving then you (and the company) are not making money. So focus on efficiency! (I really like a backpack style vacuum. It works great and will save tons of time.)

6. Use care with unplugging equipment- If at all possible do NOT unplug office equipment. (Some sensitive medical equipment loses important data even if temporarily unplugged- this should be noted on your Job Profile if something absolutely must NOT be unplugged.) If it’s absolutely necessary to unplug an office or appliance cord, always be sure to plug it back in and if there is one replace the child safety plug. (Plug everything back in immediately after use as otherwise it’s easy to forget.)
NOTE: Remember that our general philosophy in commercial work is to “blend into the woodwork.” This means that you should leave everything just like you found it. (Except the carpets should be cleaner, of course!)

7. CAUTIONS- When running the Cyclone machine be careful when passing over any seams or areas that appear to be loose. If possible lightly lift up on the Cimex machine as you pass over seams. With the incredible cleaning power and agitation created by the Cimex it’s best to err on the side of caution regarding any seams or loose carpet. If necessary you can clean questionable areas with a towel and a spray bottle of encapsulation solution. Carry a pair of napping shears to cut any loose threads of carpet that are sticking out.

8. Machine cords- Each time that you have to reconnect the Cimex extension cord always pull it out of wall outlet by the plug. (Never yank it out by the cord). Also when you pull the cord out verify that the plug or cord is not hot. If it’s hot that means there’s probably a loose wire in the cord. Usually the loose wire is in the plug or at the back of the equipment. Continuing to clean with a hot cord could result in a fire and/or damage the Cimex motor. Cords should never be hot! Stop cleaning at once and call your supervisor.
NOTE: If you tripped a breaker check the breaker box (location should be noted on your Job Profile) and reset the breaker. If the box is locked or you can’t find it call your supervisor or the General Manager.

9. Staples- Occasionally you’ll clean an area of carpet that has staples embedded in the carpet fibers. These may or may not vacuum out. If not, they may become entwined in the Cimex pads. Do a quick visual check of the pads each time you change plug outlets to make sure there are no staples in them. This can quickly damage the carpet if not detected. If there are staples in the pad, you can pull them out, turn the pads over or replace the pads.

10. Replacing pads- If the pads become very dirty or wear down to ¼ of an inch they should be replaced. Letting the pads wear too thinly can damage the pad driver and the carpet. If in doubt always replace the pads. Always replace all 3 pads at the same time otherwise the Cimex head may become unbalanced and wobble. If you turn one pad over please turn them all over at the same time.
NOTE: Occasionally the pads will get off balance or get off center or twist up. Periodically check them when you change outlets.

11. Spotting- The Cyclone and your encapsulation cleaning is always the best way to take care of spots. (If a spot doesn’t come out on your first pass go back over it more slowly with a bit more solution applied. This second step will take care of most spots. However, always carry a clean white towel and some volatile spotter with you for difficult oily type spots, gum, etc., remover. If that doesn’t remove the spot then squirt a small amount of Citrusolve on a towel (never directly on the carpet) and then blot the spot. (In my opinion when encapping it’s best to use the liquid citrus product instead of a gel. Most gels will need to be rinsed with hot-water-extraction. Jeff)

NOTE: Once again, never pour Citrusolve spotter or any other solvent directly on the carpet. This can cause serious damage to the carpet as the liquid can easily penetrate the fibers and go into the latex carpet backing causing ugly buckling and delamination.

12. Final “walk-through”- After finishing up an office always do a final walk-through to make sure you have collected any items, squirt bottles, towels, buckets, etc. The secret here is to keep your tools with you and collect these as you go. Before leaving also double check that trash cans and chairs have been returned to their original positions. Unless you are told otherwise never take any candy you see in offices. (Never place trash cans on a fax machine or any type of office equipment!)
NOTE: Never set towels, equipment or spotters on ANY office furniture. Also double check to make sure all lights are turned off and double check to make sure ALL doors are securely locked. It’s best to jiggle the handle and push and pull the door as sometimes the latch doesn’t easily catch. If your partner is with them have them check the door to and verbally confirm that it is locked. (Interestingly, this “double check and verbally confirm” procedure is the same one that airline pilots follow. Steve)

13. Big Brother really is watching! Keep in mind that almost all commercial buildings have security cameras. Some are easily visible while others are hidden. You never know when you are being watched. So instead of calculating where the cameras are just always act as if you are “on camera” because you probably are! (Plus you never know when a manager or other company employee of the business where you are working will walk in. Don’t ask me how I learned this! Steve)

14. Slippery floors- When cleaning carpet that is adjacent to a hard floor surface take extra precautions to make sure that someone doesn’t walk from the carpet to the slippery tile. This can be an extremely dangerous situation. Put a wet floor sign at the point of entry to the tile. Even if there doesn’t appear to be anyone in the wet area you must always take precautions as if someone will walk on the floor. Be sure to collect your warning signs during your final walk-through.

15. Baseboards, furniture and drywall- When cleaning around corners with the Cyclone use caution not to bang the Cimex head into office furniture, especially Formica type material. On some baseboards the Cimex can scratch the wall if the tech gets too close. The head is very heavy and just a bump could cause damage on walls, furniture or baseboards. If your cord gets tangled never force it or yank on it to untangle it. Walk back and untangle it by hand, especially if it becomes caught on a corner. Extra caution also needs to be taken regarding the rubber grips on the handle. These will deteriorate over time leaving the sides exposed and then the handle can easily scratch walls.

16. Avoiding floor damage- When rolling the Cyclone across ANY hard surface ALWAYS keep both hands on the handle. Again the head is very heavy and if it accidentally slips the head could easily crack or break tile floor. When you set the head down keep both hands on the Cimex and place your foot on the bar between the wheels and then gently lower the head. Never let the Cimex head touch a tile surface when still spinning and in the vertical position. This could also damage and put gouges in the floor.
NOTE: If using an extractor set it off to the side while using the Cimex and never set the wand against a wall or in the upright position. When not using the wand simply lay it on the floor facing up.

17. It is almost always the little stuff! Remember that in commercial carpet cleaning it’s usually the item unrelated to cleaning that get us in trouble. Tenants will normally be forgiving if you miss a spot. If you leave a door open or damage something they a)may not easily be placated, b)we may lose the account and c)you may lose a good job! So be careful out there!

18. Mixing solution- Always MEASURE! The “glug” method wastes chemical, gives sub-standard cleaning and may damage the carpet.
NOTE: When filling up buckets with water never leave them unattended.

19. Immersion heaters- It is always better to use the building’s hot water for your solution mixing. However, if using our immersion heater always make sure after using it to unplug it. Double check this! Keep your UNPLUGGED immersion heater in a visible area. Never let the immersion heater stay plugged in for more than a few minutes. This can melt plastic or ruin the pump on the extractor. Of course it could also start a fire so use caution!

20. Post vacuuming- Most of the time post vacuuming isn’t necessary. You won’t notice any visual difference anyway and you can simply just have the janitorial staff do their regular vacuuming the following night.

21. Loading equipment- Make sure that equipment is securely placed in your vehicle. Be sure to use the safety strap included to tie the Cyclone down. Also make sure the gallon jugs of encap juice are tightly closed and placed in the provided plastic box to secure them while you drive to the next job.

Happy now, Marty?

Steve

PS Actually probably not. So you can do a free download here of Jeff's Commercial Encapsulation Cleaning Procedures with a Cimex Cyclone.

Reactions: Desk Jockey

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Durango, Colorado/Santiago, Dominican Republic
Name
Steve Toburen
Thanks Steve!

Nice list.......and no it won't keep him from bitchin. :lol:
Actually, Richard, between the "Big Boy Wheels" and Las Vegas you do pretty good yourself in the Whining Department! So I think you and Marty balance the board out very nicely!

Steve

PS I will take back all of the above if you show up in Vegas!

hogjowl

Idiot™
Used it the first time today.

First thing I noticed was, you people are all pu$$ie$! The thing is no harder to load than a rotary.

I could tell immediately that the bigger wheels were a good purchase.

They put too long of a solution hose on it. It was crimped. Once I straightened that out, I was good to go.

I cleaned all afternoon with it and got 2 days worth of work done.

Last edited:

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
Not sure what rotary you are using Marty. My Cimex must weigh @ 135 lbs. my rotovac weighs @ 40 lbs.

Glad it's producing for you already, knew you'd like it.

The Clean Machine

Shorty

RIP
Name
Shorty Glanville
Used it the first time today.

First thing I noticed was, you people are all pu$$ie$! The thing is no harder to load than a rotary.

I could tell immediately that the bigger wheels were a good purchase.

They put too long of a solution hose on it. It was crimped. Once I straightened that out, I was good to go.

I cleaned all afternoon with it and got 2 days worth of work done.

SEE, you can teach an old dog, (or is that pig-dog :stir: ) new tricks.

Unless of course you're feeding us all a lot of :bullshit:, then I'll be terribly disappointed in you. :cry:

Also makes a great scrubber pre-HWE for trashed properties. :winky:

:yoda:

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
With the soft brushes it works well for "Pre"-scrubbing (the "Pre" was for Jimmy) area rugs. It loosens and suspends the soil so you can effortlessly rinse the rug.

tmdry

Name
Bill Martins
I'll be using my Defender this weekend w/ DS2, it'll be like the good o' days.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom