Is there a simple inexpensive database program?

gimmeagig

Name
Roxy
I'm looking for a simple database program that allows me to search through past customers for contact and job info.
I saw software suites that are 1000.- and some that have a monthly fee.
I'm just one guy and I don't want to spend that kind of money.
I have excel on my computer and I could put a spreadsheet together but I don't think I can make it searchable or apply filters to that.My customers are all in outlook and I guess I can make that work but I was hoping there would be a Office specific template on the web for carpet cleaning. Haven't found anything yet.
Do you guys have any suggestions?

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
There's a free add-on to Outlook called Business Contact Manager. Might work for what you want to do.

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
ACT is one of the best, around $220.

You can also go to officemax/depot and find cheap database or mailing software for $50

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
Quick books pro is like a hundred bucks. And does way more then we need. I use it as a database for client info and mailings. Google it!

If all you really need is to keep track of names and such, their might be something already on your computer you can use.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
I use my QuickBooks Pro for my financials and SM for scheduling and tracking customers.

You can't beat QB for that

You can't beat SM for this

I wouldn't use either one for both.

What other online scheduling/tracking program is specific to carpet cleaning...Service Monster changed my carpet cleaning companies and was the single best thing I ever did for them.

Jeremy

Name
Jeremy
Microsoft Access is often overlooked in these discussions as is ChaChing from Vacaway... Both will do what you want them to do... The trick with MS Access is knowing how to get it to do what you want it to do.

hogjowl

Idiot™
Yeah, and the "trick" with using Quick Books Pro for customer contact is leaning how to make it do something that it is not designed to do! Good grief ... some of you guys kill me with your advice. ServiceMonster is great for contact, as Brian has said.

You can't beat free, and I think Cha-Ching from VacAway is still free.

I'd still be using Cha-Ching today if ServiceMonster wasn't better.

gimmeagig

Name
Roxy
Marty said:
Yeah, and the "trick" with using Quick Books Pro for customer contact is leaning how to make it do something that it is not designed to do! Good grief ... some of you guys kill me with your advice. ServiceMonster is great for contact, as Brian has said.

Cha Ching from Vacaway is 999.-.That's too steep for me right now. For a customer and job database I did find a template for Excel that might do the trick for me and for financial stuff I just got a copy of MYOB.For now I have all my contacts in Outlook, but MYOB can manage that too, I think.
I'm going to look into that Outlook addon next but I have to upgrade from office 2003 to at least 2007 first.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Bigges advantage of Service Monster is it's all online. Some think this is a disadvantage but think about it. If someone wants your info, they will have an easier time getting from your desktop than the Service Monster program.

Soooo much stuff in Service Monster that I don't even utilize all of it.

If you're a carpet cleaner....Or run/own a carpet cleaning company.....You NEED Service Monster to do it right IMO.

Jeremy

Name
Jeremy
Marty said:

Whatever ya grumpy ole' Asshat... I added the caveat as its the least popular of the MS Office suite and has a bit of a learning curve... Your average secretar can work miracles with it... Although asking someone thats not familiar with it may be a challenge (especially if the have webbed feet from generations of inbreeding). shiteatinggrin

gimmeagig

Name
Roxy
greentech said:
Why not use openoffice?

It is an entire suite of MS compatible applications and is free.

There is a db app within the suite.

http://www.openoffice.org/
Thanks for that suggestion.I'll look into that.I've heard of open office.Is it easy to import data out of outlook into Open Office?
Service monster may be powerful software, but at 50.- a month is not the kind of cheap software I had in mind.

KevinL

Supportive Member
Name
Kevin Leach
Service Monster is way more than a data base. It gives you the opportunity to let someone else answer your phone and book the jobs. It mails out thank you and reminder cards to all your clients.($1.25 each). It's worth $50 a month. It can take your biz to the next level over time.

gimmeagig

Name
Roxy
KevinL said:
Service Monster is way more than a data base. It gives you the opportunity to let someone else answer your phone and book the jobs. It mails out thank you and reminder cards to all your clients.($1.25 each). It's worth $50 a month. It can take your biz to the next level over time.
I didn't realize that. Maybe when my business grows I'll look into that.So far it would be an unjustifiable expense for me.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
It's HELPS to build your business.

I wouldn't get into too much without it.

As a "small business"...They may give you a break in the set up fee....But you didn't hear that from me. :idea:

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
If you're in a city area with plenty of cellular service then SM can work.
I've been in half a dozen places this month alone where I wouldn't have had access to it. I wouldn't be able to rely on it.

I bought Mistral back in 99, been using it since. Easily searchable for customers, $'s, taxes, services, etc, copy and paste work orders, easily customizable. It did cost me a $1000 but it was the best money I ever spent. With a laptop and portable printer I don't keep paper records any more.

I tried to make Maximizer work but it wont track $'s. Its like ACT, excellent contact manager program. They just came out with a online version to use with a smart phone. As long as I can use it when I'm not in any service area I might consider it. The challenges of being in rural mountainous area.

randy

Name
Randy
Google free database programs or free customer database management software. Tons of programs for free that do as much or more than many of the over priced programs mentioned.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom