Is there any other trade with more Hacks?

Becker

Name
Becker
Scrolling though CL in my areas and others.
And from hearing stories of the past from clients.

What is it about carpet cleaning that attracts so many fly by night unprofessional hacks.

I'm not even including bait and switchers, cuz hell sometimes their only fault is unethical marketing practices.

I'm talking about the guys claiming to be professional yet showing up with a machine no better than a bissel.
Unlicensed where required, uninsured, un-uniformed, unlettered vans, writing receipts on generic forms from k-mart, no business listings in the books, online, anywhere, no business cards, no business account ( requesting checks be made to a personal name ) or only accepting cash and not offering receipt, they don't answer their phone as a business yet.. Hello, or Yeah..

I might be nit picking a little..

What other trades draw in the unprofessional and have a high percent of hacks?

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
Painters, carper installers, window cleaners, chimney cleaners, many contract salespeople in many industries etc.. I am continually amazed at the lack of professionalism in many areas. Heck, you only have to look as far as clerks in many retail stores to see what is amazing in employee incompetence.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Durango, Colorado/Santiago, Dominican Republic
Name
Steve Toburen
Becker said:
What other trades draw in the unprofessional and have a high percent of hacks?
Drywallers with carpet installers running a close second. (Of course, present company excepted.)

Steve Toburen
http://www.SFS.JonDon.com

PS Any trade with a low financial and regulatory bar to enter is going to have it's share of fly-by-nighters. Heck, that's why I fell into carpet cleaning!

Connor

Name
Connor
used truckmount rebuilders, calling them "new".

and plumbers too!

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Ken Snow said:
Painters, carper installers, window cleaners, chimney cleaners, many contract salespeople in many industries etc.. I am continually amazed at the lack of professionalism in many areas. Heck, you only have to look as far as clerks in many retail stores to see what is amazing in employee incompetence.

Ken forgot:
Bankers.
Most CEO's, especially, yet not limited to fortune five hundred companies.
Stock brokers.
Mortgage lenders and brokers.
Investment advisers.
Most politicians.
You fill in the blanks.

Only difference is the scale of deceit.

The larger the deceit, the more legit it becomes.

idreadnought

Supportive Member
Name
Richard
I agree lawn care, and then contractors and handymen. DOnt for get mechanics. On a side note, don't complain about these people. They all make us look good. After a while consumers get tired of the hassle and don't mind paying a fair price for a good service company.

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
Roofers and siders. They came to town here a few years ago chasing hail and storm damage claims. Some would actually damage siding and roofing just to get the job. Now they're all long gone from the area, and many of those roofs are leaking.

Poledancers, in a way??

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
rwcarpet said:
Roofers and siders. They came to town here a few years ago chasing hail and storm damage claims. Some would actually damage siding and roofing just to get the job. Now they're all long gone from the area, and many of those roofs are leaking.

X2 - same thing happened here. They said "we're doing new roofs 'cause of all the hail damage" we said - but our roof wasn't damaged - they said - no worries, we'll tell them it was, our little secret!

Becker

Name
Becker
Really. I'm not talking about crooks. Or scammers.

Just flat out hacks, unskilled, unprofessional. Most hacks would not even have the wit to scam.

S

sam miller

I keep getting telemarketed by contractor guy who'll be in the area tomorrow and give me a free quote on any work I need around the house!

Dont ya think if I had a need, and some! I would call a person with good references and get it done, and not wait for some yahoo to call me on the phone? hey Marty, blow me

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
Dmreed4311 said:
Web design is getting up there.

X2

I can't believe how many people try to sell me their web services. SEO guys by the dozens that want to "show you how they can put you on first page of googleee"....

juniorc82

Supportive Member
Name
Jon Coret
I agree with painters and handy men. WHAT ABOUT THOSE PEOPLE THAT CALL AND ASK IF YOU ACCEPT CREDIT CARDS. I GET ABOUT 5-10 OF THOSE CALLS PER WEEK!

Willy P

Name
Willy P
Ofer Kolton said:
[quote="Ken Snow":2nlnq6rd]Painters, carper installers, window cleaners, chimney cleaners, many contract salespeople in many industries etc.. I am continually amazed at the lack of professionalism in many areas. Heck, you only have to look as far as clerks in many retail stores to see what is amazing in employee incompetence.

Ken forgot:
Bankers.
Most CEO's, especially, yet not limited to fortune five hundred companies.
Stock brokers.
Mortgage lenders and brokers.
Investment advisers.
Most politicians.
You fill in the blanks.

Only difference is the scale of deceit.

The larger the deceit, the more legit it becomes.[/quote:2nlnq6rd]

WE HAVE A BINGO!

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Didn't anyone mention MLMs? :lol:

Advertising Reps reighn king on the bait n switch hacks of the earth...Who can dispute that??

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
Real Estate sales (when houses are selling). They go into the other trades listed above when times are tough.

Name
steve snail
idreadnought said:
I agree lawn care, and then contractors and handymen. DOnt for get mechanics. On a side note, don't complain about these people. They all make us look good. After a while consumers get tired of the hassle and don't mind paying a fair price for a good service company.

Bravo, could not agree more. In this day and age, good news travels, however bad news travels at the speed of light. Getting harder and harder to hide.

Back
Top Bottom