Is there anything worse than a..

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Employee you can't fire?

and they know it?

Don't get all tooboring on me, this is the real world ..

In business, I can think of a few things, but not many, that are as bad.

I have endured bad employees who thought they were irreplaceable, and they cost me both financially and mostly personally because of the stress and management challenges that they presented.

I won't give you the glib business coach answers, just the battle scarred veteran advice:

There isn't anyone you can't fire. There are just people that will make it emotionally difficult, or from a business perspective, management challenging, to replace.

When you are sick and tired of being sick and tired of them, you will do it.

You just have to be ready to endure the temporary (and it is temporary) pain to get through it.

Last edited:

Brian H

Name
Brian H
When you are sick and tired of being sick and tired of them, you will do it.

You just have to be ready to endure the temporary (and it is temporary) pain to get through it.

And in almost all cases when I have done this, I wonder why I waited so long. It will feel like a huge weight off your shoulders!

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Maybe someone you can't strategically fire immediately, but no one you can't fire.

Unless you have a boss that likes them.

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Uh...on the outside chance it’s a family member or very close friend..it’s tougher.

I am the only member of my family my father hasn’t fired, and I fired my best friend and a girlfriend.

Lesson?

Don’t hire family and friends or anyone you would feel uncomfortable firing after you get through this one if that’s the case.

Old Coastie

Supportive Member
Name
Stephen
Along with my division officer, I once tried to fire the base groundskeeper. He was a lazy sod who would drive his lawnmower tractor from one end of the base to the other, twice a day. Where he hid in the intervals remains an unsolved mystery.

The officer, an O-5 worked his way through proper channels using my logbook, only to learn that the groundskeeper was a GSA employee and literally could not be dismissed!

What to do? Being a pragmatic and creatively vindictive SOB, I confiscated the lawn tractor, had a junior man mow the grass and ignored the plaintive wails of the newly minted pedestrian groundskeeper.

Miami is hot in the Summer and that parasite got to enjoy it to the fullest.
So don’t give up, Mike. Get mean.

steve_64

We watched a show about the foods that feed America or something on history channel. Quite a few industry giants have fired their kids or made them quit. None of it seemed like it easy for either side.

Everyone is replaceable. Including myself.

Reactions: SamIam

Papa John

Lifetime Supportive Member
Name
John Stewart
Ive fired my father, mother, brother-in-law, and niece.
Gave up hope on two sons.
All actions were necessary

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
I need 4 more guys

I’ve had interviews scheduled with 16 people in the last two weeks .
Four showed up.
I told them company policy requires drug test
Three said “no problem” and they wanted to start work .

2 never showed up for the drug test
The third joker failed the “idiot test” when his bottle of synthetic urine fell out of his pant leg at the drug test joint

Moral of the story?
It’s not just family and friends
When buried with work, (and better prospects are 1 in a 100) sometimes you have to work with what you got
That means utilizing even marginal yawks that you’d otherwise chitcan

.L.T.A.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom