Is this an OK upholstery tool?

gimmeagig

Name
Roxy
Mikey P said:
I meant 2.99 Doug.

Some of the internal fittings will wear out over time and the glide may need replacing each year if you bang out a lot of sleeper sofas in the hood.

I've never endorsed buying crap equipment.

Do you have ANY idea how cheap the good stuff is in the perspective of things.

Go talk to a few shop owners in town and ask them what it costs every month to own a ice creak shop, bike shop or Subway Sand which franchise and see if you can get a feel for just how little they take home.

You winy ******* babies bitching about a $499.00 tool is ludicrous.

You winy ******* babies???? Broke Dork????? Boy Mikey, get a grip! I know it's your board and you're the big cheese around here and I'm a nobody, but I only came for an argument not abuse! ;)
Are you having a bad day? Did you run out of Prozac?
Really, I respect and appreciate your opinion but do you really have to express yourself like that? If we all jumped at each other like this, would that really make anybody want to visit here?
Have you ever thought of mentoring little children or being a Big Brother?(I mean someone other than us) shiteatinggrin shiteatinggrin shiteatinggrin
And I thought everybody in Santa Cruz was mellow and refined.........

Doug Cox

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Cox
Roxy- Now you've shown your vulnerability, Mikey is going to eat you alive.

Seriously- This is really only a punching match to see who can take more, so don't take everything so literally. Remember, everything Mike has was given to him for free so he has no concept of cost.

F

FB7777

I have a dri-master and hy-dri internal jet upholstery tool on each truck

My personal choice is the internal jet tool and $168 complete is a very good price ( I believe I paid around $200 each for mine )

The valve lasts about a year and is a snap to replace and its $9

I run it at about 300psi

Mikey P

Administrator
MB rule NUMBER ONE!

Don't take anything I say personal.[(unless you're a retard who accuses me of lying)

and when you bust that pos tool and finally get a PC or SS you can kiss my ass in appreciation.

Doug Cox

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Cox
Doug Cox said:
Roxy- Now you've shown your vulnerability, Mikey is going to eat you alive.

Seriously- This is really only a punching match to see who can take more, so don't take everything so literally. Remember, everything Mike has was given to him for free so he has no concept of cost.

gimmeagig

Name
Roxy
I was wondering if I am about to wake up a sleeping giant. You guys know Mikey and what he is capable of much better than I.
I give up already.Don't hurt me now( Is there an emoticon for a white flag?)
But since he posted that tune and we are on the music thing ( I love EWF) here's a funny one if there are any drummers on this forum

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItZyaOlrb7E

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
kolfer1 said:
Great Tool.
Do not let the price mislead you.

I have the hydra dry, kleenrite, used the prochem tool, used the hydokinetic and this is still my go to tool.

Long lasting, durable, cleans great , with the right technique dries extremely fast and does not put a dent in your pocket.

I would get the 4.5" it will save you time and can still get to all the nooks and crannies.

Great tool, great price- second to none.

I agree on the internal jet tool for best value upholstery tool.

You can get the 4.5" tool wo/hose for less than the 3.5" tool link you posted.

http://ccs5.com/zen/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=76&products_id=1515

Larry

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
gimmeagig said:
here's a funny one if there are any drummers on this forum

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItZyaOlrb7E

that dude's having fun...i love it

IMG_1317.jpg

015-1.jpg

..L.T.A.

Mikey P

Administrator
let me just say that using a plastic or teflon lipped uph tool it the only way to go.

and you wont realize why until you've done a a few dozen sofas.

gimmeagig

Name
Roxy
Most likely I'm going to get the PMF tool.

http://www.pmftools.com/prodUpolstery19.php

3 1/2" or 4 1/4" Which is really a better size for all around upholstery work, including cars?
I use a 1 1/2" wand and have a 6' vacuum hose connected to it so it might not be so important that I get a vac hose with an internal pressure line.I could add it on if it turns out to be too cumbersome to deal with.
The PMF tool is actually cheaper than the e-bay tool with the hose so I could spend a little extra on minor modifications.Are there glides available for a tool like this? Mikey mentioned that a teflon or plastic tipped tool is really the way to go.
Also what about these soft valves.I don't know anything about them.Would that be worthwhile?

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
If all you can afford is a POS, why not go all the way and get a real POS.

For the money not a bad tool ($75.00 or so), it won't last forever but it will last long enough to allow you to make some good money with it.

It's also light weight which makes for less wear and tear on your hand and elbow. The head is Lexan and cleans remarkably well for a cheap tool. They do sell replacement heads, jets and valves too.

10.jpg

gimmeagig

Name
Roxy
Pardon my ignorance, what is a POS?
The reason why I might not want the tool you pictured is mainly the sharp angle of the head.Seems like I might have difficulties getting into the nooks and crannies with that.

gimmeagig

Name
Roxy
gimmeagig said:
Pardon my ignorance, what is a POS?
The reason why I might not want the tool you pictured is mainly the sharp angle of the head.Seems like I might have difficulties getting into the nooks and crannies with that.
OK, you got me, I figured it out. I'm a bit slow sometimes. :oops:

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
gimmeagig said:

3 1/2" or 4 1/4" Which is really a better size for all around upholstery work, including cars?
I use a 1 1/2" wand and have a 6' vacuum hose connected to it so it might not be so important that I get a vac hose with an internal pressure line.I could add it on if it turns out to be too cumbersome to deal with.
The PMF tool is actually cheaper than the e-bay tool with the hose so I could spend a little extra on minor modifications.Are there glides available for a tool like this? Mikey mentioned that a teflon or plastic tipped tool is really the way to go.
Also what about these soft valves.I don't know anything about them.Would that be worthwhile?

You can't put a glide on the internal jet tool, but you can put on teflon lips (ultralip glides), that's what I have on mine. I don't know if GreenGlides has them, I bought mine from Ken Harris at morecfm.com. They are 12" or 14" long plastic pieces, you cut them to the size of your tool either 4 1/2" or 3 1/2", and it makes the tool glide smoothly on the fabric. I use the 4 1/2" tool. You don't need the hideahose, it's actually more useful to just use your 1 1/2" whip, especially if you make it a continuous flow; you can fill a bucket with foamy hot shampoo with your pmf tool while you vacuum the upholstery with a plastic vacuum cuff on your whip hose.

Art Kelley said:
gimmeagig said:

You can't put a glide on the internal jet tool, but you can put on teflon lips (ultralip glides), that's what I have on mine. I don't know if GreenGlides has them, I bought mine from Ken Harris at morecfm.com. They are 12" or 14" long plastic pieces, you cut them to the size of your tool either 4 1/2" or 3 1/2", and it makes the tool glide smoothly on the fabric. I use the 4 1/2" tool. You don't need the hideahose, it's actually more useful to just use your 1 1/2" whip, especially if you make it a continuous flow; you can fill a bucket with foamy hot shampoo with your pmf tool while you vacuum the upholstery with a plastic vacuum cuff on your whip hose.

Wait a minute.

An internal jet tool with lips would be great.

How do you make it continuous flow?

Seems like a winner to me.

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
danielc said:
[Wait a minute.

An internal jet tool with lips would be great.

How do you make it continuous flow?

Seems like a winner to me.

I just wrote about it earlier in this thread. You take the trigger and the guts out of the wand valve and thread in a 1/4" plug and it becomes continous flow. You can adjust the water flow with your ball valve on the solution line.

Doug Cox

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Cox
I might have some teflon lips Roxy, If I find them, I'll let you know and send you one.

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Cox said:
I might have some teflon lips Roxy, If I find them, I'll let you know and send you one.

Then you will have a $500 upholstery tool for $79. The Ghetto Sapphirescientific Uholstery Pro. At the next MF we'll have a bet: I'll throw down Mike's Sapphire tool as hard as I can on the driveway and he'll throw down my PMF tool as hard as he can. Then we'll clean some piss filled cushions from an assisted living sofa. The loser has to buy enough drinks for the winner to forget everything.

Loren Egland

Name
Loren Egland
Art Kelley said:
[quote="Shorty Down UnderI must live in a different world, I have no problem with spending that much on a decent upholstery tool.

I would look at the Hydrokinetic or Sapphire tool.

Ooroo,

For what it's worth, I agree that the two best performing tools are the Hydrokinetic and the Sapphire. Though I have only demoed the Sapphire, I have used the Hydrokinetic for over a quarter of a century. For many years is was the elite tool in the industry, and few seemed to know about it. Not so in the internet age.

I am speaking from a cleaning performance point of view. 400 psi yet leaves the fabric dryer than other tools. A simple demo of these tools hooked up to a truck mount should convince anyone.

I also have the PMF tool. I use in on occasion for some things, but not so much on upholstery. Of course if you are using a 100psi portable, it doesn't matter what tool you use.

Some cleaners like different tools because of their feel. Be sure to differentiate the advice you get here. Are these cleaners talking about price, feel, cleaning performance, leaving fabric dryer, safety, gentle or aggressive cleaning, etc.?

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Loren Egland said:
[ Be sure to differentiate the advice you get here. Are these cleaners talking about price, feel, cleaning performance, leaving fabric dryer, safety, gentle or aggressive cleaning, etc.?

I'm talking about ALL those factors, and also durability. A modified PMF tool comes out ahead on all counts. You can get gentle, safe cleaning or aggressive cleaning with the PMF tool depending on the PSI and how far the water stream extends from or recesses in the vacuum chamber.

Loren Egland

Name
Loren Egland
Art Kelley said:
[quote="Doug Cox":2rwip1rc]I might have some teflon lips Roxy, If I find them, I'll let you know and send you one.

Then you will have a $500 upholstery tool for $79. The Ghetto Sapphirescientific Uholstery Pro. At the next MF we'll have a bet: I'll throw down Mike's Sapphire tool as hard as I can on the driveway and he'll throw down my PMF tool as hard as he can. Then we'll clean some piss filled cushions from an assisted living sofa. The loser has to buy enough drinks for the winner to forget everything.[/quote:2rwip1rc]
You will still need to replace the piss filled cushions. Now lets get a dirty white heavy fabric haitan cotton and do a test a 400psi with both tools. Who will get it clean the safest and thus driest?

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Loren Egland said:
[ Now lets get a dirty white heavy fabric haitan cotton and do a test a 400psi with both tools. Who will get it clean the safest and thus driest?

I'd just let you demo cleaning a haitian cotton. I haven't even seen one in twenty years. But if you turned the continous flow PMF down to well under the chamber lips it would be as safe and effective as any high end tool.

Doug Cox

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Cox
Really Loren- In the "Real World" nobody has haitian cotton, so your argument means nothing. This debate is about a guy starting out needing a decent upholstery tool that cost an arm and a leg.

gimmeagig

Name
Roxy
Art Kelley said:
[quote="Doug Cox":2wivu98x]I might have some teflon lips Roxy, If I find them, I'll let you know and send you one.

Then you will have a $500 upholstery tool for $79. The Ghetto Sapphirescientific Uholstery Pro. At the next MF we'll have a bet: I'll throw down Mike's Sapphire tool as hard as I can on the driveway and he'll throw down my PMF tool as hard as he can. Then we'll clean some piss filled cushions from an assisted living sofa. The loser has to buy enough drinks for the winner to forget everything.[/quote:2wivu98x]

:lol: If there was a Mikey's Board greatest hits this should be in there.

I have never seen a haitian cotton piece either. I have seen some white linnens that were a pita.

Just use the tool I mentioned as it comes stock. It will work just fine. The enclosed spray may overspray with the lips. The internal spray would be better for the lips.

Mikey is right though. The enclosed tool will work great for small to medium jobs, but if you have to clean 50 chairs etc you are going to want a saphire type tool as your arm will fall off. Really you need both tools, but just starting out the enclosed spray tool will clean deeper and do just fine.

I personally never got the fascination with the prochem tool. There is nothing special about it. It oversprays like no other.

I did want to demo the hydry type tool, but have yet to. I would love to try one with lips (continuous flow would be icing on the cake). You could go forward and back, easy glide, great heat, and fast dry. Am I wrong?

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Loren,
Mostly with Haitian cotton what does the work (not browning) is the sodium bisulfite.
It definitely not the tool that does it.

If you are still cleaning like Wally Webber used to, boy that is an undertaking!

Yes, if a Haitian cotton sofa is very soiled you may get streaking, however you will get it with any tool, as the cotton core will absorb some of the soil and will only release it in the drying process. In that case shampooing works best.

Art, still don't get that throwing the tool as hard as possible on the driveway thingie.
I thought that we were all trying to treat our tools in a civilized respectful manner :oops:

Actually, in that case I am voting for the ProChem tool. That MOFU will leave the biggest dent in the driveway, guaranteed. !gotcha!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom