Is this enough for the #1 problem that haunts us cleaners...?

Mikey P

Administrator
21.Wicking (or reappearing spots or soil)

Wicking, a common cause of recurring spots and stains, is a term used to describe the upward migration of water-soluble materials on carpet fiber surfaces during drying.
Regardless of the method used, carpet cleaning cannot always remove 100% of the soil deeply imbedded in the carpet fibers.. A certain amount can be left behind at the base of yarns and on the carpet backing. This soil can move from the base of yarns and backing materials to the yarn tips, where it becomes a visible spot again after the carpet dries.

Care tips:
If your carpet is experiencing wicking after cleaning you can try these easy steps to fix the unsightly areas
-Let the carpet dry thoroughly for at least 48 hours
-Vacuum the area with a brush roll-equipped upright vacuum, slowly and from three or more directions
-Lightly mist distilled water on the affected area and gently blot with a microfiber (preferred) or white cotton towel. Look for soil transferring onto the towel.
-If effective, continue to lightly mist and blot, until the carpet’s appearance returns to normal. 3% Hydrogen Peroxide works well too and will not cause a bleaching effect. Make sure it's a fresh, unopened bottle.
-Let the area dry and inspect
-If the carpet still does not look normal (keeping in mind that wicking usually occurs in high traffic areas and wear may still be obvious), consult with your IICRC Certified Technician to set up a return visit or for suggestions on what cleaning solutions would be best for your carpet type.

Would you mind asking your wives read this and ask if it makes sense to them?

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
One simple solution for wicking that is missing is the thick layer of towels on top:

Cover with 6-10 layers of clean, white paper towel. Weigh down with a few books (separate books from paper towels with a plastic bag, to avoid water damage to books). Remove after 6-8 hours.

Last edited:

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
One simple solution for wicking that is missing is the thick layer of towels on top:

Cover with 6-10 layers of clean, white paper towel. Weigh down with a few books (separate book from paper towels with a plastic bag, to avoid water damage to books). Remove after 6-8 hours.

@Mikey P you should add this. I completely overlooked it, with my "cleaners eyes".

Name
Jeff T

Cover with 6-10 layers of clean, white paper towel. Weigh down with a few books (separate books from paper towels with a plastic bag, to avoid water damage to books). Remove after 6-8 hours.
OR, 2-3 layers of clean, white bath towels...

Mikey P

Administrator
21.Wicking (or reappearing spots or soil)

Wicking, a common cause of recurring spots and stains, is a term used to describe the upward migration of water-soluble materials on carpet fiber surfaces during drying.
Regardless of the method used, carpet cleaning cannot always remove 100% of the soil deeply imbedded in the carpet fibers.. A certain amount can be left behind at the base of yarns and on the carpet backing. This soil can move from the base of yarns and backing materials to the yarn tips, where it becomes a visible spot again after the carpet dries.

Care tips:
If your carpet is experiencing wicking after cleaning you can try these easy steps to fix the unsightly areas
-Let the carpet dry thoroughly for at least 48 hours
-Vacuum the area with a brush roll-equipped upright vacuum, slowly and from three or more directions
-Lightly mist distilled water on the affected area and gently blot with a microfiber (preferred) or white cotton towel. Look for soil transferring onto the towel.
-If effective, continue to lightly mist and blot, until the carpet’s appearance returns to normal. 3% Hydrogen Peroxide works well too and will not cause a bleaching effect. Make sure it's a fresh, unopened bottle.
-Cover with 6-10 layers of white paper towel. Weigh down with a few books (separate book from paper towels with a plastic bag, to avoid water damage to books). Remove after 6-8 hours.
-Let the area dry and inspect
-If the carpet still does not look normal (keeping in mind that wicking usually occurs in high traffic areas and wear may still be obvious), consult with your IICRC Certified Technician to set up a return visit or for suggestions on what cleaning solutions would be best for your carpet type.

Ofer will forever be immortalized in the carpet cleaning cyber world.

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Watch “The Professor and the Madman” on Netflix. It will re mind you of the immensity of your task, and of the nature of some who may assist you.

Reactions: Mikey P

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
So, what is the best method to prevent it?
Using a water claw to remove as much of the staining material as possible. When you know there has been a liquid spill, the area you see on the top is only about 1/3 the size of the entire stain. It spreads out as it hits the hard floor. I usually pour a stain remover on, making a slight puddle. Enough to mimic the original spill. Put the water claw on, the using a bleed hose, I rinse all around the water claw. Not very practical for numerous stains but works great for individual stains.

Meter Maid

The Undetective
Name
Chris
Using a water claw to remove as much of the staining material as possible. When you know there has been a liquid spill, the area you see on the top is only about 1/3 the size of the entire stain. It spreads out as it hits the hard floor. I usually pour a stain remover on, making a slight puddle. Enough to mimic the original spill. Put the water claw on, the using a bleed hose, I rinse all around the water claw. Not very practical for numerous stains but works great for individual stains.
Or just run a pad after the extraction.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Or just run a pad after the extraction.
Not going to do anything. Some things wick up slowly, like blood. It's not a matter of getting it dry, it's about removing as much of the staining material as possible. Using a peroxide product helps as it can weaken or eliminate the color of certain stains.

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
Or just clean like normal, and if they call you, go back. It happens when you only have access to the top side of the carpet.

The key to this is, THANK THEM for calling you first. I had one of these last week. I re-cleaned the entire room, not just the spot and they were extremely happy that I cleaned the room again at no charge. The tried to pay me, but I thanked them for being awesome customers.

Situations like this are the things that will cause your business to grow at a fast pace, due to the word of mouth that is spread.

Meter Maid

The Undetective
Name
Chris
Or just clean like normal, and if they call you, go back. It happens when you only have access to the top side of the carpet.

The key to this is, THANK THEM for calling you first. I had one of these last week. I re-cleaned the entire room, not just the spot and they were extremely happy that I cleaned the room again at no charge. The tried to pay me, but I thanked them for being awesome customers.

Situations like this are the things that will cause your business to grow at a fast pace, due to the word of mouth that is spread.
That’s exactly what I do. Markate sends all my customers an email a day after the service asking the customer to contact me if any spots return.

I have to correct a few jobs per month, but my customers love it.

Numero Uno

Name
Caesar
Polymer vomit powder .
Hold an grabs huge amounts of excessive moisture.
Sprinkle on wait for it to gel.
Vacuum away...
Works also very well for ink stains.
To adsorb ,hold an contain the ink dyes...
But used as a poultice or given to housewives .
Very effective an a client saver...
Better then a cornstarch or other dry absorbent powders.
But in 2020 sad this still exists.
That's 70s mistake easily correctable
With correct vacuuming an fan placement.

Meter Maid

The Undetective
Name
Chris
What's your service radious, and hot house wife ratio?
My current GF is a customer and bought me three wands. That’s why ditching a couple doesn’t bother me.

I service one suburb of Dayton, Ohio with a population of 26k.

A rich population.

Reactions: Mikey P
Back
Top Bottom