IS THIS ETHICAL

Magic One

Most machine shops and dist. charge around $65.00 per hr. I have to drive 1 1/2 hrs to my dist. He charges $85 if you don' buy chemicals, $75 if you buy chemicals. $65 and hour if you buy $50 of chemicals. I always buy from him and he does all my work. I don't buy too much chemicals from him, cause they changed the detergent and it clogs my machine. Go ahead and blast me. It clogged so bad I had a hard time getting the orffices out. He charged me $85.00

Bob Foster

For your distributor to appear to show a lack of acknowledgement of your business by incrementally charging you more where he can get away with it could be shortsighted on the distributors part. But that might just be because he isn't clear enough in expressing the limitation of his offer.

But in fairness to the distributor at $65 per hour he isn't making much money off of you. So I would say its up to your distributor to change the rules so its a little more fair to both of you. The distributors idea is creative and I could imagine better offers and improvements that might accomplish what he is trying to do.

How about discounting for agreed to SCHEDULED maintenance within certain time frames?

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink
I think no matter what everyone should be able to charge how they want, sans bait and switch. I don't really see how that is any different than dealing with a homeowner by telling them if they purchase protector while you're there you'll give them a 10% discount. Of course the dist wants you to purchase other things aside from getting work done, just as we want addon sales in the home.

If you change your wording, but state the same facts its really no different than we do in the home. They charge a normal rate of $85/h to work on machines, $75/h if you buy chemicals, and $65/h if you purchase $50.00 worth.

dday

I see nothing wrong with what the distributor is doing. Discounts for purchasing multiple purchases of products/services is as old as trade itself. It is a characteristic of free markets.

G

greentech

Called a local distributor repair shop on a Tuesday evening after hours. Called back 20 minutes later and I had a appointment next morning at 8:30 AM

Got my TM running after 20 minutes. Minor problem, $40.00

Bought $43.00 worth of chems even though I didn't really need them and could have paid $29.00 for the same stuff on the internet.

They have to keeps their doors open and need both service and consumable sales to do so.

Bob Foster

greentech said:
Called a local distributor repair shop on a Tuesday evening after hours. Called back 20 minutes later and I had a appointment next morning at 8:30 AM

Got my TM running after 20 minutes. Minor problem, $40.00

Bought $43.00 worth of chems even though I didn't really need them and could have paid $29.00 for the same stuff on the internet.

They have to keeps their doors open and need both service and consumable sales to do so.

Bingo!

Name
I'm Rick James
You should talk to him about the issue with the new cleaning product.. customer feedback is always important.

Gotta think, if he went out of business where else would you go? I buy from my local Jon Don (Seattle North) even though I can get things cheaper elsewhere... but I know they have my back when I need them the most and thats worth the extra few bucks to me.

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
he has the right just like you to charge more for his service. it look to me like he is just offering you a discount if you spend more with him. department stores do it all the time. the more you spend the higher percent you get off.

gene

Greg Cole

Name
Greg
Dwayne Oxley used to charge a $1 a minute ( not sure if he still does).. Did a minor repair on a TM for our H2O division and charged us $12. A class act!

Name
Lee Stockwell
Greg I'm a bit jealous that you have Duane so close. He's first class.

Which leads to the other question about "hourly rates" for shop time: What if the HIGHER priced people fix thing MUCH quicker?

Mikey P

Administrator
If I were him I would charge $85 an hour for everyone.

And $250 an hour if you hang out on this forum.

Where most likely his shop will be crucified the first time he cross threads a bolt, misspells a word on his receipt or has the audacity to perform a repair for one of your competition without getting your permission .

Magic One

Mikey, I did't mention The whole story and I won't. It was very sad over a 30 yr. friendship. I never mentioned his prices and he did a good job. I'm working ontrading my machine for a Pro Chem Everett 650. I did;t use his name, company or manfacturer. I wish I lived closer to Les or Duane. I wll never see my old dist again.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Hoody said:
I think no matter what everyone should be able to charge how they want, sans bait and switch. I don't really see how that is any different than dealing with a homeowner by telling them if they purchase protector while you're there you'll give them a 10% discount. Of course the dist wants you to purchase other things aside from getting work done, just as we want addon sales in the home.

If you change your wording, but state the same facts its really no different than we do in the home. They charge a normal rate of $85/h to work on machines, $75/h if you buy chemicals, and $65/h if you purchase $50.00 worth.

I agree.
It really makes me not want to come back to a supplier that treats the people that never buy there, the same as their loyal clients.

A loyal client should get a preferential treatment. In price if possible and in urgency of repair.
Otherwise, why bother patronizing them. We can all get it somewhat cheaper on the internet.
And it should go both ways. We support them and they support us.

If your supplier does not carry a good line of chems (in my experience most brand names are pretty good,) talk with them and express your concern.

Name
Noble Carpet Cleaners
Yer all f'd up on this one. How much do we make per hour curb to curb with our customers, especially you "high end" characters? If you don't have the technical and mechanical savvy to do your own g.d. maintenance and repairs how much is it really worth to have it done for you?

Name
Noble Carpet Cleaners
I do indeed mean that, done right with plenty of value, all warm and fuzzy. I don't cut any party any slack when it comes to consumers and service providers. Everyone needs to do their part.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
NobleCarpetCleaners said:
Yer all f'd up on this one. How much do we make per hour curb to curb with our customers, especially you "high end" characters? If you don't have the technical and mechanical savvy to do your own g.d. maintenance and repairs how much is it really worth to have it done for you?

The going price at our/or your particular neck of the woods!

And of course it's a matter of the utmost importance whether or not, they serve Frapuchinos :p

Magic One

Noble I do most of my work.THAT ALSO TAKES MONEY FROM A DIST.I did not Complain about the price. Don't care how much it costs. That why I always buy American. It was the treatment I received. I won't discuss this on the boards.Thanks for all the replies and keep them coming.

LisaWagnerCRS

Name
Lisa Wagner
Good distributors, and good mechanics, are hard to find. When you end up with a bad one, it costs you way more than $85 an hour in frustration, repeated trips for help, and the lack of trust that the job was right the first time.

We have a minimum charge to clean rugs... I don't have a problem with a mechanic having a minimum charge either. If that repair takes him 5 minutes... that does not take into account the years of trial and error and expertise that led to him knowing exactly what needed to be done to make that quick repair.

If he does good work for you... just look at it as a thank you to pay the $85, and add five bucks to every job to cover it in a few days.

Lisa

idreadnought

Supportive Member
Name
Richard
Your question is whether it is ethical.. Hech yes it is ethical. Now whether it is a good business practice is arguable point.

If I was a distributer I would create a tiered list for clients. If he spends a grand a year he pays X, If he spends 5 I would charge X. Also I would give clients that spend more, priority scheduling.

I have clients that are more important than others. I have been known to clean and stretch a carpet at midnight because they were a good client.

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
The normal fee a distributor charges to attend a class is $xxx. But if you purchase $YYY of supplies during the year, your company can attend the class for 1/2 price. If your company purchases $ZZZ worth of supplies and chems during a year, you can attend the class for free.

Many suppliers have a similar arrangement. I have never had anyone say that this was anything but a good deal on the class and an incentive to spend more of your money with that supplier. Never heard it called unethical.

Why would that change when what is being sold is repair time instead of class attendance?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom