It hurts when you loose them when it is slow!!!

John Watson

3:30 PM this afternoon I get a call from a prospective client, Refered by 2 not 1, but 2 of our satified clientel. He is moving into a different home which he needs cleaned and then he needs the house he is in now cleaned because someone is moving in the next day.

They want to move in Saturday, Today is Thursday, I am booked Friday, Have a CCINW chapter meeting Sat Morn. and The CCINW swapmeet in the Afternoon. Helen is taking our Granddaughter to 3 functions Violin in am 2 Basketball games in PM on Sat since both her parents are working.

I told him I could work Sunday or juggle things on Monday. He wanted to know if that was the best I coluld do. Yes Sir, I am sorry if existing schedule doesn't fit your needs. He said he understands and Monday will be fine. 9AM at his new house and then go about 6 blocks and do his old house. About 2400 sqft total

He called back at 4:30 canceling our Monday schedule, evidently your compitition is not very busy right now he said, 2 have called me back saying they can do it tommarro morning I am having a different company, each do one so we can move in Sat Morning.

Well we can't win them all

John Watson

Them guys is gonna be lucky to be in my presance,I would really rather be with the granddaughter cause Saturday is Helens and my time with her, but when I commits I commits, And its gonna be Round Table Pizza.. and it would have been closer to $1000 - 1200

B&BGaryC

Name
B&BGaryC
They had a round-table in Eugene OR when I was growing up. We were white trash though, so I think we only had that "expensive" pizza when "rich people" were buying. I don't think I ever at one piece of KFC chicken until I got my job there. That's for "rich people" too. Come to think of it, McDonalds was for "rich people" when I was growing up. Man we were poor. I remember my friend's dad telling me I could buy anything I wanted off the menu at McDonalds and I looked at him like he was crazy.... Even a Big Mac? I guess Doctors have that kind of money...

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
Have to grab all the crumbs you can in this economy.

Arrogance in thinking your "clients" will wait is stupid.

davegillfishing

Supportive Member
Name
dave gill
thats a tough one..look at future work lost. i am affraid i would hae had to miss the meeting and if they didnt understand i would have asked them to make my house payment and i would have been there..if not i had to go make some money both today and in 6 months..

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
All I can say is YOU GOTTA BE ****%N KIDDING ME!!!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

That lose is not 1000-1200, it is 1000- 1200 plus the LTV of him and everyone he now potentially recommends to the company that will do the work, plus there is the risk that he will go back to the ones he was reffered by and that puts them at risk too.

IMO only being in jail or the hospital would be a reason to not do this prospects work, and even then I would try to get it done somehow.

Brad_Smith

There are more important things than work. If John is not hurting for the money then why drop everything for this last minute guy. In the future he will probably still be a last minute guy. Since he is using 2 different companies he obviously doesn't respect our profession. I thought quality clients scheduled ahead and if in a jam would work with their carpet cleaner. Owner operators can't make everyone happy. I know cause I have tried and failed. I don't work weekends but will work late M-F. If they are worth keeping then they will work with me, if not, then I don't need them......too much now anyway.

TimP

always depends on your situation. I'm not booked solid so it would be no biggie. Hell I'd go in the evening to clean an empy place out cause it's super fast to get one done. But if I was booked solid I have to give priority to those who scheduled before. I may call a customer if I knew they were flexible but I'd have to have a very good indication that they wouldn't mind. Like they are home everyday and don't care what day it is kind of thing.

Mikey P

Administrator
In John's case, this dude has been to every damn association chapter meeting within 200 miles, CAD, Surfaces, Connections, Winter, Mike and Summer fests, he has every back issue of CF and ICS, hangs on all the boards all night and has every IICRC patch running down his leg so what will he possibly learn at this meeting that will gain him $1200 buck plus future references?

Doug D

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Dimick
In this case you probably lost $38,500.00. :shock: Every potential client is worth that much according to Steve Touboran.

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
LISTEN:

Once you LOSE money...you can NEVER make it up......

CUZ

The money that you say made it up.......

shoulda been made...ANYWAY!

Greenie

Uh....John, don't you have "freinds"? Get your ass hot on the phone and give a solid referral to a quality cleaner friend, maybe someone with more than one truck? Maybe his name starts with Ernie?
Never throw your $38K customer to the wolves.

I don't want to be harsh, but you ain't a rookie, what is with the rookie maneuver?

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
I don't think I would have passed on a job for a CCINW meeting, but I would pass on one for family time. If the time is booked, its booked.
If I am booked with other clients and a situation like this comes up, I'll try and do some "creative scheduling" , phone my booked clients, explain the situation, and see of I can't resched their job and give them a little discount if they want. I've had to do that quite a bit.
However, if my other booked clients are counting on me, then I do try to refer to other cleaners that I know. I've got Bob and another friend that I know I can rely on.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
I know you guys are just being funny and wouldn't recommend a guy go back on his word, break a commitment and lose the trust of dozens of his peers to chase a job. Only truly BDCCs and those that have no sense of honor will always choose money over doing what you said you'd do. (Now I know who some of you are. :twisted: )

PS: John can't refer the job to Ernie. He'll be at the meeting too.

PPS: John knows I'd run the meeting for him if he was in a bind, but he might not be as altruistic as it seems. He's going to make far more money selling a small chunk of his vast collection of restoration detritus than he would cleaning that carpet.

Doug Cox

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Cox
bob vawter said:
LISTEN:

Once you LOSE money...you can NEVER make it up......

And we wonder why divorce is so prevalent these days. Money IS NOT everything. What about the time away from your wife and kids. I don't have a local guy to recommend to people I can't service. I run my business not my customers. I work regular hours and I bet Mikey doesn't go out at all hours to knock off a job just to make a few hundredmore.

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
You couldn't fit the clients move-in schedule. You could of cleaned it later on Thursday or later tonight. But, you chose not to inconvenient yourself. So quit belly aching and crying about a job you chose to let slip.

You're embarrassing all the other cleaners that frequent this board.
Maybe we can all mail you a tissue.

Dave-

Back
Top Bottom