It hurts when you loose them when it is slow!!!

Doug Cox

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Cox
I've never posted about having no work. I work my ass off all year between April and Jan 1st and just expect it to be dead after that. Planning ahead makes all the difference.

Name
I'm Rick James
This is a great topic John.

What do O/O do when they get sick, TM breaks down, on vacation or unable to do the job. On the ICS BB there is someone faced with this issue and is pleading for help. As a O/O it is good to have a back up plan incase something like this happens. For me I know a couple local O/O that help me out when I am confronted with this issue. So no job is lost to a competitor that you dont know, or to SS, chem dry.

So if you dont have that back up plan, it might be a good idea to find one.

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
lots of acronyms in this thread for the Acronym thread!

O/O= Owner/OPerator
ICS = what does that stand for anyway?
BB = Buletin Board
SS = Stanley Steamer
WMAO = Work My Ass Off
TFF ?
TFL = Too F Late
LOL = Laugh Out Loud
BDCC
CCINW = Carpet Cleaners Institute of the North West
LTV = LIfe Time Value

CapeCleaner

I'm in the group that would take the job and not worry too much about the meeting and swap meet; both are business related and this is business. It sounded like an easy job that would pay well, $900-$1000 depending on how you price an empty house. Both should be empty since the cleanings are pre and post moving and I give a bit of break on these because it's much easier to move around and work quickly. Also, I think taking the job would be respectful to the two existing clients from whom this guy was referred.

Regardless, I would call both existing clients to thank them and explain why you couldn't do the job. You know the explanation from the person who needed the cleaning will be short and lacking details...."Yeah, I called the guy but he didn't want the work." His explanation may effect future referrals.

Name
steve snail
Good on you John.

To the others. Yeah, on your death bed you will wish you had worked more overtime vs quality time with friends, biz acquaintances, and family.

Customers know that the "good ones" are booked, and word gets around.

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
Quality time with friends and family???????

The guy is going to a bdcc board meeting in the morning then another bdcc swapmeat in the frickin afternoon where everyone will be standing around bragging about how they turned down work to come to the meeting. Then they'll probably complain about how bad a year they are having. Meanwhile some other savvy nbdcc'ers will be making money cleaning for all those clients the bdcc'ers turned away.

How could someone have a swapmeat and board meeting on what should be one of the few busiest weekends of cleaning for the whole year? Come on folks, you can take so much time off in Jan/feb/march but now can be making the hay while the sun is shining.

Ken

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
There wasn't a sense of desperation among those that attended. We only had one semi-BDCC in attendance, and he wanted to meet guys that can afford to take a sunny day off. We did get to meet some guys that are regulars here at Mikey's that responded to John's sly method of advertising the meeting. Not sure if John got his money's worth out of it, but everyone took turns giving him a hard time for showing up and not chasing that job.

Good information presented by Brendan Kimmel for those of us in soggier than normal Western Washington that have to handle water damage restoration work when we don't want to do water damage work. Thanks to Brendan and Dri-Eaz for hosting and showing us some of the secret new stuff at their facility. Thanks to John for setting everything up and showing up.

PS: Afterward, we mostly stood around talking about how much guys on bulletin boards brag about the size of their wallet, the superior quality of their chosen methods or equipment, and the difference between internet claims and reality. BS doesn't fly very far face to face.

Doug Cox

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Cox
I do have to admit I would have been tempted to take on these jobs only because of the money involved.

Back
Top Bottom