Joining Associations For Marketing?

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
About 10 years go i had this crappy little side business making telephone "on hold" jingles and custom voice mail messages for businesses. A lot of our marketing was centered around joining associations and offering member discounts.

For some reason i cannot explain why we never really applied that to this industry, we have been a Chamber Of Commerce member before but let it go.

This gives you a targeted list of businesses to work off of and a WARM lead to offer member only discounts.

ANY experiences or opinions? trying to put together a target list

1. Chamber of commerce
2.Dentist
3. Doctors

Who can we add...

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
That's a good idea Dave. I'll need to read your material again.

Shane
This list can go on and on:
Banks
Retirement Communities
Funeral Homes
Carpet Retailers
School Districts
City
State
County
Churches
Hospitals
Libraries
Doctors
Daycares
Light Industry
Property managers/Facilities Managers/Risk Managers
Office Design & Space Planners

I tell Erin if it looks nice on the outside, try and get your/our foot in the door.
:winky:

GCCLee

Supportive Member
Name
C. Lee
but, but, but Doc,
being a new indy cleaner starting out, half that list is beyond reach.

How long did it take you to reach that level, if I may ask Sir.

Chris

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
Why was My link erased? I was answering his question since I have already done the extensive ground work on how to set up discount clubs/associations through our your entire service area. You can turn almost any group into referrals for your business with the right approach.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
No sir you have the best advantage.....you are new and hungry.

All they can say is no.........and they will, just get used to "no". Think dating, no meant maybe and if you're relentless you will eventually win some over. :winky:

All of those are within your reach, nice card, a brochure, you wear a nice polo or you wife in a nice dress or slacks and go ask for it. It's a rough job but it will pay off if you keep at it.

Reactions: GCCLee

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
I was talking about actually paying yearly dues and joining an association.

Not just a sic code, does anybody have/use association lists?

Specifically not just the sic code, i can look that up myself....

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Gotcha, no we've done very little of that. Look up facilites managers, the local one have monthly meetings, Dan has spoke and put on a presentation on cleaning and restoration a couple of times. Funny thing if you're already working your targets you see many of the same people there.

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
Seems like you are making it hard. You don't have to join a group to offer member only discounts. To join every group you want to offer a discount would be very limiting. That way you can get your business into work places, groups and associations that you wouldn't be able or have the time to join and go to meetings/events. Instead you can be making money.

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
Seems like you are making it hard. You don't have to join a group to offer member only discounts. To join every group you want to offer a discount would be very limiting. That way you can get your business into work places, groups and associations that you wouldn't be able or have the time to join and go to meetings/events. Instead you can be making money.

The whole point is to make it limiting....

If we could spend $20k a month on a tv/radio campaign, i wouldn't be here....

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Shane,
Joining is for higher level associations like BOMA or ASID. It takes time to get to know people and earn their trust, but the rewards are no-bid jobs that don't require kickbacks. You can't go in asking for work, the members know why you joined.

Offering kickbacks or discounts can work well for lower level organizations like the local yacht club or community group that you definitely don't have to join.

Reactions: Rob Lyon and Mardie

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
The whole point is to make it limiting....

If we could spend $20k a month on a tv/radio campaign, i wouldn't be here....
I guess you don't get it. The Discounts have to be targeted and exclusive. They have to be endorsed and recommended by the group and then shared by the members. They all have a sense of affinity with the other members. You can't get that with a radio or any other type of ad. Just offering your discount doesn't work well. (It takes more than that) It also does not have to be limited to just a few targeted groups. if targeting 3 groups is good then why not 30 or more?

Rob Lyon

Name
Rob Lyon
Any group that you can get up and in front of are potential clients no matter what the organization, if you belong to something that meets once a week it will only add to your impact on top of which will make you a better speaker

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
Any group that you can get up and in front of are potential clients no matter what the organization, if you belong to something that meets once a week it will only add to your impact on top of which will make you a better speaker

You can also do it as a trade show except you are the only vendor. They send out an e-mail that you will be there. To prep your appearance and you only talk to the interested members. I do this at lunchtime at the major corporations. Usually they are staggered. So, you can do it in 2 hours and then get back to work.

GCCLee

Supportive Member
Name
C. Lee
We are cramming to get an ad in the Home Builders Association Tabloid.

KABOOM.... we hope

Chris

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Join their group as an associate, get a booth in their home show. They can be a fickle group, especially when homes are not moving but this would be good timing to get involved just before Spring.

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
Why would home builders need carpet cleaning? Wouldn't the association of rental property owners be a much better target?(I could see if you installed garage doors or new carpet etc....) Pick your target (People that clean on a regular basis) and then pick your association. If you want people that are employed for instance. There is a group for the big fish that manage them. Go where the centers of influence go to get the best fishing.

Reactions: Desk Jockey

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Depends on your service offering but they will need: post construction clean up, spotting & cleaning of Show Homes traffic area, then in our target market-Frozen pipes, defective Plumbing (they like using cheap subs), Hot water heaters, Condensate lines, Sump Pump, Appliance failures (Dishwasher, Ice Maker, Washing Machine). Plus many have rentals, we do work for one that owns most of the block they live in, another that builds a home moves in and lives in it for a while, shows it and sells it. We clean while they show it and after they sell.

I agree go where fishing is best, but also leave no rock unturned.

Although "Rental Property Owners" ?

They have never been our target, too many own or rent a Rug Doctor, the others that are willing to pay a professional are only willing to pay cheap. You'll see the worst possible soiling and clean it for the cheapest possible price. Then hope they pay you before you wind up with them owing you a bunch and they paying you slowly, if at all.

Maybe, maybe a good management company. ???

I still would prefer to clean, cleaner carpet for a higher price. :afro:

Last edited by a moderator:
Name
Bruce
I have two home builders that refer us to their clients , next weekend we are going 3 hours one way to clean a 14,000 sqft home that the "builder" has been remodeling. We get all kinds of work from two separate builders, I guess I will have to tell them they are doing it all wrong since they don't need my services :oldrolleyes:

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
We tried builders when we first started from a tile angle, never really went too far with builders.

But they kind of pushed us towards the tile installers and we have built a couple nice relationships with flooring companies/installers.

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
The three most effective groups our business joined were -
#1 Chamber of Commerce; Attended all the meetings I could, built relationships, the movers and shakers in business, banking, politics were all members. They got to know me and trust me in their homes and businesses.
#2 Partners in Education A group for business to support elementary schools. No membership fees, but the businesses would get hit up to volunteer at different school events and donate products or services to the fund raisers. Being at many school events put us in good with many parents with young kids, pets and other reasons they needed cleaning.
3# Real Estate association; Not as many jobs as the first two, but enough to be worthwhile. Stains and traffic lanes on a carpet really show up when the furniture has been moved out. Hard to sell a home if the carpet did not look clean or if there were odors.

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
What works for me is to advertise through groups and associations and not necessarily becoming a member. The number of groups and associations is almost endless and once you perform service for a member they talk and brag about it to each other easily. Because they play together, work together, live by each other, love to recreate the same ways.The buzz can be incredible!!!

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
What works for me is to advertise through groups and associations and not necessarily becoming a member. The number of groups and associations is almost endless and once you perform service for a member they talk and brag about it to each other easily. Because they play together, work together, live by each other, love to recreate the same ways.The buzz can be incredible!!!

Dave do you have any specific groups for me?

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
Dave do you have any specific groups for me?
This could be a goldmine. But, you have to know how to work it.http://www.bnhra.org/ Some nuggels here: http://www.thelpa.com/lpa/associations/new_york.html Then use your gold dredge to find what shimmers here; http://www.yellowpages.com/buffalo-ny/associations and search for neighborhood associations that have regular print and e-mail publications. (These groups having regular contact with their members is one of the key to making it work.)You have to know how to work them. If done right most of these will give you FREE advertising. If not they can be a waste of time.

Last edited:

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
This could be a goldmine. But, you have to know how to work it.http://www.bnhra.org/ Some nuggels here: http://www.thelpa.com/lpa/associations/new_york.html Then use your gold dredge to find what shimmers here; http://www.yellowpages.com/buffalo-ny/associations and search for neighborhood associations that have regular print and e-mail publications. (These groups having regular contact with their members is one of the key to making it work.)You have to know how to work them. If done right most of these will give you FREE advertising. If not they can be a waste of time.

Thanks Dave!

Gave me some good ideas.

Reactions: Royal Man

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
After putting daves list together and then my own googlleman research i came up with around 300 associations. Narrowed it down to 1 that really fits who we want to target that has about 400 members.

The plan now, this is a b2b professional association...

1. Become member
2.sponsor monthly newsletter, which includes our company ad on the top of the website
3.sponsor luncheon which includes a networking after
4. Telemarket quarterly now that we have a member list
5.Direct mail quarterly member list
6. Become a "friend" on facebook/twitter feeds and post comments, once in awhile.

Anything you would add?

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
I already have a proven B2B program. Call me if you want. It will save you a lot of time and money since it is already worked out.

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
Mikesrearoftruck2_zps6720a85f.jpg

Reactions: Royal Man

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
Placing an ad for any association or club that has regular E-mailings or an E-newsletter can be very cost effective. Once you start working for the members the buzz can really take off! I like to target groups where the members see each other everyday.(It's easier to get the buzz out)

Back
Top Bottom