Juniors top ten list of why new construction work sucks.

juniorc82

Supportive Member
Name
Jon Coret
I am cleaning sealing and finishing 15k sqft at a commercial gut and remodel. I am getting a decent price but the work environment has especialy sucked . Here is my ten reasons that new construction work can really suck.

1. The floor you are there to work on hasnt even been layed yet.

2. they needed it done yesterday.

3. there is an unwritten clause that says the architect is the grand messiah of the jobsite, which often includes making un achievable promises to the customer and blaming the work crew for their short comings and miscalculations.

4. The general contractor who doesent sign your paycheck wants to boss you around, and run around in a frenzy bitching about running behind even though his crew had five months to complete the project and didnt do shyt for the first 3 and a half months.

5. having 5 other tradesmen trying to work around you.

6. No running water.

7. the electricions cutting the power on and off while you are trying to scrub with the 175

8. trying to tell the landscapers who dont speak english they cant walk on your floor , and being forced to guard your wet waxed floor like the north korea south korea border.

9. cleaning up chew spit bottles and cigarette butts off the indoor floor.

10.listening to all the union workers complain because they have to do some work, and getting talked to like a lower life form because your a janitor.

But hopefully when that check shows up all will be forgave and forgotten till the next new construction job strikes again!

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Cleaning is always done as the last step, so you're working with some seriously screwed up contactors. Bring your own work lights and do the work after they go home. Take pictures and charge to do any touch-ups.

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
bahahahahahahaa

that was tooo funny.....and brought back memories of "opening" Family dollar stores, when they came here to Utah....

had 1 opener who was an A-S-S-H-O-L-E

And we got into it once...think it was my 6th store or something...I had my "time frame" & Scope of work from the DM....told him he better get his shit together, cuz this is how its gonna be..and he preceded to argue even more with me about it...

Funny thing is.....

After some 40+ openings I did, with him covering about 1/2....

he was the best one to work with....LOL

There is something to be said about standing your ground......just make sure you have the support of someone up the food chain :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh and of a job I drove from here in Utah to bakersfield ......I know I know...but they covered fuel, and hotel, and paid my rate....

anyway...they told me 2 mths out what the dates where....and i kept up on confirming, up until i left.....

I get there and the dick of a contractor told me there were "issues" and floors were a week out.... I told him not mine....and you damn well better have it ready the next day by 5...(here again, the MGR said the work HAD TO BE DONE, by xxxx date)..

AND when i come back in (took me 3 days, they had to move things for me...and it was like 4-5 hrs each day stripping and waxing) that they had better not of drug things, or he would be getting a bill from me....

shiteatinggrin shiteatinggrin shiteatinggrin shiteatinggrin shiteatinggrin shiteatinggrin shiteatinggrin shiteatinggrin shiteatinggrin

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
I finished some VCT at a new dollar store once. People kept banging on the door inquiring about employment. I could not understand why so many people would be interested in working at the dollar store.

Chris A

Name
Chris
Sounds a lot like working for restorers, in fact, sounds exactly like it...

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
I have have found total opposite to be true, only for floor or tile related work. The margins are really high, we would schedule the job either real early or after const. workers go home though. Sometimes you do get jabbed but overall we would consider it a high margin niche with little to no competition. Forget about 90 days our bill is a rounding error in the totality of a construction job, 30 days max.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom