Just bought a TM...and the trouble begins...lol

Just bought a TM/van....got a cheap price...but you get what you pay for.... :lol:

First time out ...just completed a job...walking out to turn off TM and it died...got out to TM and oil all over back of van...blew crank seal... :shock:

Low oil shutoff worked...Not seized...still turns over...18hp Briggs and Stratton horizontal 3600rpm engine.

TM is a 3.7 CrossFire...recently went through by Jon Don...rebuilt blower, pump, seals, etc.
machine had been in storage for about a year. Begs the question why engine pressure was enough to force out seal in the first place?

Not expensive to fix...$8 part..$100 to replace.

Have to wonder if I should just relace engine with new one...Northern Tool has engine for $1500 plus shipping. Anybody know of a better price?

Any advice?

Jay D

Name
Jay D
smallenginewarehouse.com. You have to search for the correct shaft and controls. I see them for about 1100 plus shipping. Ordered one for my friend Dave and it was $1200 delivered about a year ago, we used it to revamp his tcs unit. Also sometimes get a good deal on ebay from a engine retailer. Always buy new. I got a 30hp kohler for 950 + shipping off ebay, best deal I ever got. 8)

P.S. Try 356447-0079 at small engine warehouse, keyed shaft, ign switch and throttle control for $1095.00 + shipping.

G

Bob Foster said:
If you buy a new engine from NT make sure it has the correct shaft.

mebby you could have the shaft checked by Nic.....ah, nevermind....

joe harper

Name
joe harper
Thomas,

do the repair...those little 18 hp are pretty tough..

if the unit "pans-out"....then maybe a new motor later....

get some more hours on the unit...before you invest that much money into it...

Good luck...

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
EIGHT years on my present Genie....NADDA problemo....!

i pity the fool..............that buys sumthin else!

clean one

Thomas my nitro with over 4800hrs did the same thing one time when I think I over tighten the blets. I just pushed it back in it did come out sometimes before i put a new seal in. But 100.00 labor man i will put them in all day long for 50.00 a pop.

Scott S.

Supportive Member
Name
Scott
make sure you have the correct oil filter, some filters have higher and lower pressure bypass valves.. having the wrong one can ruin your engine..

Becker

Name
Becker
At least you have a good attitude about it.

fix it for now and try again.

I'd bet you can beat that price on a new engine.

Just be fore you buy the very same model, otherwise you might have to replace more than just the engine.

Back
Top Bottom