Keeping Relations Copacetic Between Your Employees

Jeff Madsen

Supportive Member
Name
Jeff Madsen
What are your rules for your employees when it comes to what they listen to on the radio? I've got two brothers working for me now - both fantastic young men. They love nothing more than to listen to a certain talk radio show and opine to each other about the ills of our current system. I don't mind because they don't bring it front of our customers, but later this year I'm losing one of them. It's not hard to see where my next employee might not be as gung ho in his desire to listen to this raconteur. How do handle things like this with your employees? I just want to keep things professional and stay focused on serving our customers. Do you have any hard and fast rules?

Shawn Abbey

Name
Shawn Abbey
If I understood your question..... nothing. At least for now. Wait until a problem starts to simmer, handle it then.

Sometimes these things just work themselves out. If it doesn't, then consider shuffling people around to compliment their strengths.

Chris A

Name
Chris
What are your rules for your employees when it comes to what they listen to on the radio? I've got two brothers working for me now - both fantastic young men.

Wow I thought you were gonna go a totally different direction with that!

Jeff Madsen

Supportive Member
Name
Jeff Madsen
If I understood your question..... nothing. At least for now. Wait until a problem starts to simmer, handle it then.

Sometimes these things just work themselves out. If it doesn't, then consider shuffling people around to compliment their strengths.

I understand where you're coming from with this - you hate to borrow trouble from tomorrow, there's always plenty of it for today. I'll definitely wait till I get to the point where I've added my new employee, but I like to be proactive where I can be. I don't want them "working things out" in the field when they should be focused on serving our customers.

Newman

Name
Chris Newman
As a general rule, the driver controls the radio. My employees are compelled to learn about politics as I listen to my talk shows.

I do allow some sharing time when I am driving, my guys all like classic rock so there is no conflict. I have on occasion found my radio set to my boring old man station after my guys have had it out without me. The brainwashing is working!

davegillfishing

Supportive Member
Name
dave gill
Crew leader rules radio, ac and heat. With that being said if I found the need I would remind him that as being a crew leader it was his job to keep his helper happy and motivated. Remind him how much it would suck to be forced to listen to something he couldn't stand all day. Teach him how to find a middle ground and if he doesn't get the point find what music or talk he hates most and set all stations to it. If he changes the station for a week torture him lol

My guys HATE working with my during the holidays because its Christmas music period. No exception. Lol

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
We get few complaints from the carpet crews, I assume they share time as good partners will. The trouble we have is generally the fire cleanup crews, 4-6 or 8 tech's all with different tastes. .

The crew leader is in charge and he makes the call. I think they mostly play middle of the road, some rock a little country, no rap, the lyrics can be too graphic.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
You big softies let your guys listen to the radio? I suggest letting them duke it out like men.

Ricardo, Your roots are showing when you get 8 guys in one truck.

Reactions: Hoody and Chris A

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
You big softies let your guys listen to the radio? I suggest letting them duke it out like men.

Ricardo, Your roots are showing when you get 8 guys in one truck.
At least they're not all Mexicans, there are a few black and white people sprinkled in there. :winky:

I can't help it, it's in my blood to pack them full! :afro:

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
10-4 disconnect the radio .....you want them to hear any funny noises coming from the truck......

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Fo really:

Our trucks have radios. AM/FM only though, since cassette and CD decks seem prone to failure in our use. Turn them off as you approach the house. Two guys have to decide to skip listening to anything the other finds irritating and settle on a station that doesn't annoy either of them.

Job sites stay professional. No music, no radio.

When I borrow a truck to run an errand I like to listen to whatever is on. I thought Rush Limbaugh was the biggest "humorist" on the air until I heard his opposite on a liberal political station. Since both sides just make stuff up to get their listeners angry I started to wonder if there's a connection between talk radio and a tech having a bad day.

PS: Growing up with ethnic minority friends taught me there was a historical connection between being Irish and wheelbarrows. I'm comfortable that Richard understands the difference between needling and racism.

Back
Top Bottom