Keeping vehicles clean and organized

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
I am working on an article that I hope will appear in Cleanfax in a couple months. The topic is keeping vehicles clean and organized. Looking for some real world input.

How important is a clean and organized vehicle?

What are some tips, techniques or accessories you have found helpful in keeping the van organized?

How often do you clean your van?

Would you share some photos of vans that are clean and organized? We might get you and your company some national publicity.

Thanks.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Scott a clean truck is priority one here. They are not always as clean as we would like but we do try to keep them clean as much as possible. We have a car wash setup with swing out boom both outside and inside for the winter. So I’m always on the crew leaders for them to wash the van or have their assistant do so. Preferably they delegate to the assistant and the crew leader should have make better use of their time.

The insides get trashed when we are busy but once we slow down we clean and re-stock them.

IMG_0878.jpg

P.S. Give someone else some publicity, we've had our share. Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: J Scott W

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
I am working on an article that I hope will appear in Cleanfax in a couple months. The topic is keeping vehicles clean and organized. Looking for some real world input.

What are some tips, techniques or accessories you have found helpful in keeping the van organized?

How often do you clean your van?

Would you share some photos of vans that are clean and organized? We might get you and your company some national publicity.

Thanks.

first impression is everything...if you are driving down the road or sitting in front of a clients house with the doors open cleaning there carpet....what people see says a lot about you and your company...

the more clean and organized it is...the less time you will spend hunting for things that you need....and there is no second guessing where something is...time is money....but you don't want to rush your cleanings...but you can make up time..with a well organized truck.....

Shelving...bags and bins are your best friend....organize your chemicals together instead of just tossing them up there....keep all the carpet cleaning chemicals together on one shelf and the same with the UPH and tile cleaners...makes things easier to find...put plastic bins in your shelving in case you have a bottle leak and it can catch everything instead of having it go all over your truck....

have separate bags for storing and carrying your things in...one for UPH..one for carpet..and one for tile...that way you can just grab what ever you need and not be hunting all over the truck for the items...everything for every situation is all together and ready to go....

every tool in my truck gets sprayed off at the end of every job...nothing goes back in the truck dirty..everything gets wiped down and the back gets vacuumed at the end of every week if needed...out side normally gets washed and polished every 2 weeks......

IMG_6139.jpg

IMG_6072.jpg

IMG_6067.jpg

IMG_5028.jpg

IMG_5029.jpg

IMG_5887.jpg

Last edited:

amygeorge

Supportive Member
Name
Amy Lorance
this is something that is way more important to me than the techs...

i keep car wash coupons in the van. unless we are super busy, they don't have an excuse.

the inside of the van is a different matter and one that i'm going to be discussing in our upcoming employee meeting. i try to leave plenty of time for the tech's to change the oil, descale, clean, etc., but it seems that doesn't always happen. we had a cancellation for tomorrow and that's what they'll be doing instead of cleaning. my guys aren't on commission, so they get paid to do this type of work. amygeorge

amygeorge

Supportive Member
Name
Amy Lorance
jim, you make me want to get a box van! wow! we've got an extended van and we haven't got any spare room. amygeorge

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
jim, you make me want to get a box van! wow! we've got an extended van and we haven't got any spare room. amygeorge

my next one is a regular size van..I cant see needing 2 large ones...one big one for me will do what I need.....

Jay_wat

Supportive Member
Name
Jay Watson
Jim,,as always im in awe of your set up!! never get tired of those photo's of your box van!! very well done,,as if you didnt know that!! :smile:

steve g

Name
steve garrett
if you don't have a clean vehicle or keep it somewhat organized I am sorry you are not going to be the type of guy that does good work. I have customers all the time that are outside for whatever reason, maybe its meeting me and letting me in. often times they are standing right there when I open the doors. If things are thrown everywhere what is their impression going to be?? here are some pics of my setup.

003-5.jpg

004.jpg

002-4.jpg

Name
Jesse
Currently we wash our tm's once per week and others every 2 weeks. When we go with a color and letter them we will keep them immaculate at all times. Our vehicles are unmarked except for a unit number so nobody knows who we are unless were in their driveway. Looking good from 15-20 feet is fine for us currently.

I make the techs responsible for keeping the inside organized,and maintaining clean windows and touch zones on the doors. We have an area big enough for 2 vans with a floor drain and electric pressure washer, our shop worker does the actual detailing inside and out. Once per month we paint the areas where water and chems drip frequently, either rear bumper or inside step on side doors. Quarterly we repaint much if the interior areas that are visible to customers while our doors are open.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Here is the car wash unit and the remote units that operates the Hotsey pressure washer. The unit is up on the roof so nobody messes with the settings and we don't peel decals and paint.

The booms swing out to wash but back up against the building when on used. Inside the boom swings around so you can get completely around the vehicle. We've had it for 11-years and just recently had to stick some money in it for a new coil, other than that it's been without issue.

2012-08-23_07-20-28_329.jpg

2012-08-23_07-20-14_475.jpg

2012-08-23_07-19-28_438.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
First impression important. We have polished aluminum wheels and full chrome packages on our trucks and our tag line is about appearance, so we can't let our trucks get dirty. We also have a truck wash and tank rinse area so the trucks can be washed as often as they need to be.

The interiors must be organized in the same way, so any tech can glance in any truck and know that everything needed for a job is there. We let the techs know that this is their office but at any time a manager could use the truck to run an errand, and the trucks are inspected regularly. Scrapes and dings are repaired immediately.

We once had a commercial tech that didn't see the need for neatness until he parked across a building entrance from a competitor. As people left the building, they looked at our truck, at the other dirty truck with hoses spilling out... He said he knew those people were thinking they'd call us when they needed cleaning.

We try to have a designated spot for everything, and have some kind of clip or hanger to make it easier to put tools in the right spot.

Clips on the chemical shelf holds cleaning wands and Rotovac by the tube and small "speed bumps" of plastic on the floor keep them in position. A clip holds the cold water hose quick connect near the machine fitting, and a soft plastic drink holder from the marine supply store holds blower lube right near the lube port.

Furniture tool and hose go in a mesh dive bag which hangs behind the passenger seat. Rakes slide into plastic pipe on the ceiling with slots cut in the end so the brushes don't rotate.

Most hoses go on a reel, but we install a hanging pipe near the top of the truck on both sides as well. Any hanging water, vacuum or pressure hose will have the ends connected to eliminate swinging fittings from causing damage.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom