Kohler Back fire

steve_64

We unhook our vacuum hose first,to reduce the load on the engine,then we shut the engine down at approx 2500 rpms, otherwise we will get back-fire on our 27hp kohler.
I think that repeated back-fire could potentially damage the engine. Also, our engine is direct coupled, and I think it can cause damage to the coupler.
Where we are, ethanol-free gas is not an option.

do you have a shell station? thier gas is pretty good too. the additives they use help prevent the unspent fumes from firing. and thats what the carbon does. its not so much whats sticking to things but the carbon floating inside the combustion chamber upon shut down. the lead additive bob mentioned helps cool things down so you dont have the heat to ignite the fumes left behind.

MattLimbach

Name
Matt Limbach
We did have a shell station, and It would be my choice, but they usually ran about 10 cents more per gal. So they went out of business.
They tore it down and built a McDonalds.
All that is available now is gas stations that have ethanol and we have no choice.
Probably has to do with the fact that corn is the main crop here.
So they really push the ethanol on everyone.

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
all i know is that i throttle down my Case lawn mower before turnin' the key off............

steve_64

We did have a shell station, and It would be my choice, but they usually ran about 10 cents more per gal. So they went out of business.
They tore it down and built a McDonalds.
All that is available now is gas stations that have ethanol and we have no choice.
Probably has to do with the fact that corn is the main crop here.
So they really push the ethanol on everyone.

i should look on a map but are you off I57? i remember a gas station being torn down and replaced by a mcdonalds near champaign. i use to drive from kankakee to decatur a lot. and yes i understand the ethonol issue in the midwest. ive also been hearing they may be doing away with it in the future. its part of the reason our food prices are going up so much and the return isnt worth it. cost more energy to make ethenol than it produces so its counter productive.

steve_64

all i know is that i throttle down my Case lawn mower before turnin' the key off............

my troy built started backfiring even if i throttled down. i remembered what i was told years before and made the switch and the problem went away. told my neighbor who was having the same problem and it fixed his too. i swear by it even at a higher cost per gallon.

MattLimbach

Name
Matt Limbach
We are fifty miles east of Champaign, 20 miles from I57. I think McDonalds just liked the location.
Imagine the cost to take down a gas station.Soil testing, epa issues ,removing fuel tanks,etc.
I wish they would do away with ethanol. Its not worth the savings with all the issues it causes, not to mention higher food costs.
Also , ours still backfires if we throttle down first, does'nt make sense but it doesnt do it if we shut down at high idle with no load.

Louis

Supportive Member
Name
Louis
I let it idle down for a few minutes and at about 1200 rpms with no load I turn it off. small pop. I am going to try a different ground tomorrow.

Louis

Supportive Member
Name
Louis
So steamway had the motor wired to not spark until the oil pressure was high enough. I put a toggle switch to bypass it when starting. No more backfire when starting now. I put in new camshaft and lifters too. Just a tiny backfire when I shut it down at 1700 rpm.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom