Kohler Engine replacement?

Jim Williams

Name
Jim Williams
Well after 9 years and over 10,000 hours the Kohler 22 HP on my White Magic Commander finally gave up the ghost and blew a head gasket. She still runs on one cylinder but probably not for long.

The question I have is does the Kohler 20 HP or 25 HP have the same mounting bolt pattern as the 22 HP as well as the same exhaust outlets. The exhaust manifold which is made by White magic has to fit on the new engine. Kohler no longer makes the 22 HP. Any help or suggestions are appreciated.

Jim Williams

Name
Jim Williams
Northern tool has good prices. 25 HP for $1999 and 20 HP for $1699. The small engine warehouse is a few hundred cheaper than Northern tool.

Last edited:
Reactions: Able 1

MattLimbach

Name
Matt Limbach
Kohler 22 25 27 have same exhaust mounting pattern.
Just bought new 27 from smallenginewarehouse.com probably year and a half ago. $1700
The 27 replaced a 22 and we used the old exhaust off of the 22.
The new 27 came with exhaust, but it was a different style, so we just used the exhaust from the 22.
The 27 was larger/deeper but the engine mounting holes were the same. also the shaft was same height. but different diameter had to order new flange for coupling,the shaft was longer but on our machine it didn't matter, because there was plenty distance between our direct coupled blower shaft and the new engine shaft. Hope this helps.

Becker

Name
Becker
10,000 hrs on a air cooled engine?

A welded can modify your exhaust.

Mounting bolts on the bottom of engine are more than likely the same.

WOW.. I'm still beside myself.. 9 years and 10,000 hrs.

Commander WM was a nightmare TM from what I've heard.

Clap Clap!

You leave the key on at night, letting the hr meter click away?

gtech12v

I replaced my 25hp air cooled with a 31hp water cooled on my unit and the mounting holes and exhaust fiited well

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
I replaced my 25hp air cooled with a 31hp water cooled on my unit and the mounting holes and exhaust fiited well

I have a brand new Kohler 31 HP liquid cooled engine with Electronic Fuel Injection at unmatched pricing.

The Electronic Fuel Injection will save 25% of fuel costs.

It will bolt right up to the 22 HP mounting holes & exhaust system.

Specs:

http://www.cobbcarpet.com/kohler31.html

Larry

Pricing: http://www4.cobbcarpet.com/zen/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=68&products_id=3799

Last edited:

Jim Williams

Name
Jim Williams
Thanks for all the replies everybody. It has really been a great machine. No down time except for when a hose busted on a job and I didn't have anything to fix it with. I never run it wide open, only around 3000 rpms and change the oil every 50 hours. I have stripped a lot of the nightmarish stuff off the machine and after I replace the motor I plan on ending up basically with a simplified machine with just an engine, blower, pump and heat exchangers.

Have a great day!

SMRBAP

Supportive Member
Name
Anthony
I dealt with small engine warehouse once, and it will be the last time.

Major problem 3 weeks into a large purchase and it cost me more to get resolved that the cost of the item. And I was able to do it in person, not by easily blown off e-mails or calls.

Had I not been able to go there in person I'd have been left in the wind.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom