Laminate floor question

joey895

Supportive Member
Name
Joey J.
I've never pursued any kind of laminate or hard wood floor cleaning but I'm doing a small tile job Friday and the lady asked me if i had a special vacuum that would be good for removing drywall/construction dust from her laminate floor.

I have no local supplier so no time to order any special products.

I have an industrial vapor steamer and I'm thinking it with some microfiber towels should do the trick. Am i on the right track?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Jamesh921

Name
James
I don't think the steamer is the way to go and here's why; I believe the heat, combined with the high humidity would penetrate the seams in the laminate floor and cause them to expand. This would cause the seams to "peak".

I'm not understanding why a standard over-the-counter cleaner wouldn't remove the construction/drywall dust. Acetone (fingernail polish remover) is another option that should remove it easily too.

So, if the dust isn't easily removed, I would guess that some type of topical treatment may have been added to the laminate. Ask your customer what she's been using to clean it. Maybe that'll shed some insight on why the dust seems to be "embedded".

Charlie Lyman

Supportive Member
Name
Charlie Lyman
Do not use anything that could penetrate the floor with moisture. It will swell up. Just go to home depot and get a cleaner for laminate floor. Spray it on with a spray bottle and wipe it up with a terry cloth mop. It should pick up all of the dust. You might have to do a couple of passes.

joey895

Supportive Member
Name
Joey J.
They just bought this house and are trying to clean it before they move in so its doubtful they know anything about what has been put on it.

Maybe I'm wrong but i don't believe my vapor steamer would put out any more moisture than any product i would apply for cleaning it.

Thanks for the idea though. I didn't realize home depot/Lowes had laminate floor cleaner. I'll definitely grab some and have two things to try.

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
drywall dust issues on the floor....

why do you want to use ANY type of liquid on it???

get a microfiber DRY mop for it....then after you have swept it down with that, get a vacuum of some sort...with out beater bar preferably (so it doesnt possibly leave marks) to suck it up....

THEN use some sort of damp cleaner....

you get that dust wet...and all it will do is smear....

oh and your vapor from the steamer can and will penetrate the cracks easier then just water.....as vapor molecules are smaller then liquid.....Right??? plus the heat helps move them down to

joey895

Supportive Member
Name
Joey J.
Yes, As with any cleaning the plan was to remove as much as possible while dry.

Maybe you're right on the vapor steamer, I'll try the laminate floor cleaner first. I wasn't aware you could buy that at home depot.

knoxclean

Supportive Member
Name
David Gargan
You can get all you need at Home Depot like mentioned above. Get a good micro fiber pad and some Bona kemi wood /laminate floor cleaner. They also have a refresher to add a protectant and shine to the floor. If you have a rotary you can scrub with a white buffing pad, or thick cotton pad.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom