Laptop and Tablet...Saw this Acer at Fry's last night

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Seems pretty dang cool

It's a laptop when you need a laptop and a tablet when you want a tablet.

The screen just pops off the keyboard and becomes a tablet.

Touch screen works on or off the base.

The screen is a little heavy compared to regular tablets...But you can run Internet Explorer on or off the base.

Seriously considering this.

Anyone know anything about it??

Acer-Iconia-Tab-W500-Keydock.png

0088448395776_180X180.jpg

tmdry

Name
Bill Martins
Just buy it so you can stop telling us you're going to buy 1 for a year now lol

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
tmdry said:
Just buy it so you can stop telling us you're going to buy 1 for a year now lol

Hey!! Shut up thathurts

I guess I just don't need one that bad. :lol:

I bought a few phones when I said I would...So NYAAHHH.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Bobby Lee Swagger said:
You love the attention, good or bad! :mrgreen:

Maybe. :oops:

I'm pretty sure I'm just going to get the tablet I want....and worry about SM catching up later.....or just use the mobile version when needed.

I would rather carry that than a laptop or similar.

I found that I didn't need/want a keyboard with my phone because the touchscreens work so well now.

So I'm thinking the same for the bigger version.

As you can tell, it's not THAT important to me or I would of had something a loooong time ago.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I like the touch screens except when it auto corrects my words into another word.

Ya know like when I was out of town and I texted my wife and told her "Wish you were here" and it auto corrected to "Wish you were her". :shock:

Haven't had sex since and that was 10-years ago! !gotcha!

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
Re: Re: Laptop and Tablet...Saw this Acer at Fry's last nigh

Bobby Lee Swagger said:
I like the touch screens except when it auto corrects my words into another word.

Ya know like when I was out of town and I texted my wife and told her "Wish you were here" and it auto corrected to "Wish you were her". :shock:

Haven't had sex since and that was 10-years ago! !gotcha!

Lol- I've done some really funny ones.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

jkowalski

Name
Joe Kowalski
OK. I have to chime in here.

I did a key note over a year ago on what I call The Tablet Wars. I won’t bore you with the details but I will say that Windows and Android tablets are not ready. They’re getting closer and in 12 months or so the platforms will be excellent; with Windows 8 being the clear business winner. We own every major phone and tablet as part of our ServiceMonster 5 platform rebuild (see facebook pic below).

I left the iPad out of the “their not ready” group because, for what it is, it’s an amazing device. I have discovered the resurgence of some old hobbies of mine, and the kids love it. The iPad is also a great research device. As far as a business device, it’s not much more than a blown up iPhone. Right now anyway.

For business it’s the open platform that will eventual win out. Apple is making the same mistakes today it made 30 years ago. Those “mistakes” are strengths in the consumer market, but the business community needs customization beyond what Apple is willing to allow.

Regarding the Acer:
It’s defiantly best of breed for the first generation of products. The detachable keyboard is a great design. You could mount the keyboard in your truck for heavy data entry, and carry the tablet in with you for emailing your invoice, updating your orders, and recording your payment.

I suggest waiting though. The Acer needs regular maintenance to keep it running at good performance. And I wouldn’t want to load anything of real power on it. Given all that, I’m impressed with the device as a whole, it’s the OS that is a problem. Windows 7 can be tweaked so that is works, well, just ok. Windows 8 should be much, much better.

End Game: It’s the apps. ServiceMonster 5 will have a Windows tablet specific interface, along with Mobile 3 and a cross platform “desktop” version, so you can use what ever you like. But if your going for real power, The ServiceMonster Tablet version will be the way to go.

smm2.jpg

Shh. Thats ServiceMonster Mobile 2. You can see it at connections.

Device Picture
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... =1&theater

jkowalski

Name
Joe Kowalski
We are GIVING away one of these Acers at Connections. Only those who sign-up at the show will be entered. (Sorry Brian!)

tmdry

Name
Bill Martins
I hardly ever use my iPad to need a real keyboard. They make leather cases with fold out wireless/bluetooth keyboards attach to the case, still haven't had a need for it. If SM ever comes out with the multi platform to run w/ Safari on the iPad than I'll get that case, but for now works fine w/ the laptop/aircard setup on the go.

dgargan

So Joe I'm not sure I understood what you said about the iPad. Are you saying the iPad and sm will not be an option? I was told it would be about 6 months ago it would be ready soon. I have been waiting now it looks like to need to seek different options. Am I reading that right?

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
I am wondering what they need to have to be ready??

dual core check
great display check
Ram check
storage check

what they need?

Shorty

RIP
Name
Shorty Glanville
I picked up this Gecko keyboard that also holds my iPad:

17075878__17219_zoom.jpg

http://www.ipadcasesdirect.com.au/produ ... Black.html

It has Bluetooth to integrate with the iPad, or you can simply use the iPad keyboard.

The back of the folder has a pop-out stand to hold the iPad screen upright.

Great to sit on the tray in an aeroplane when traveling.

Also a very nice leather pouch that holds it all together for less than a hundred bucks.

Shorty.

tmdry

Name
Bill Martins
dgargan said:
So Joe I'm not sure I understood what you said about the iPad. Are you saying the iPad and sm will not be an option? I was told it would be about 6 months ago it would be ready soon. I have been waiting now it looks like to need to seek different options. Am I reading that right?

I'd also like to know, as the other reason I haven't gone with Mac's for personal/business was also because of SM. My only luck with PC laptop's these days is that they only last about a year when bought new, so I'm looking for a change.

Jack May

That Kiwi
Name
John
Just got an iPad myself. Will have to explore apps for it now.

I'm surprised by how quick and effective the iPads keyboard is, even for me a four thumbed Ivan missing 2 fingers...

I'm primarily using it for email and calendar as we're running dual diaries via the outlook on our server.

It'll be interesting to see how things develop from here over the next 6 months.

John

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
I'm still dragging my feet. I've become a penny pincher in my old age and can't see buying one just yet. As much as my techy side wants one.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom