Largest US furniture maker files bankruptcy

Name
George Valliant
http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/business/2013/09/09/furniture-brands-files-chapter-11-bankruptcy/2790369/

View attachment 3142

ST. LOUIS (AP) — The maker of furniture brands such as Thomasville, Broyhill, Lane and Drexel Heritage said Monday that it has filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection.

Furniture Brands International said it hopes to sell the bulk of its business to investment firm Oaktree Capital Management.

The St. Louis-based company, which also runs the Thomasville chain of furniture stores, struggled like many other companies after the collapse of the housing market. But unlike some of its peers, its business has not rebounded with the recovery in home sales and the broader economy.

Furniture Brands reported in August that it widened its fiscal second-quarter net loss to $40.8 million on weaker revenue and major charges to write down the value of its brands. It also said that it would cut costs and pursue the sale of some of its assets.

CEO Ralph Scozzafava said Monday that the company determined filing for bankruptcy protection was the best way to address its liquidity challenges and strengthen its operations.

The company, which filed with the U.S. Bankruptcy Court in Delaware, said that it has reached an agreement to sell it nearly of its assets, except the Lane brand, to Oaktree under an auction process. The court must approve the plan and other bidders may emerge.

Furniture Brands said that Oaktree will provide $140 million in debtor-in-possession financing, which is also subject to court approval. The company said the financing will enable it to operate its business uninterrupted and meet all its financial obligations, such as employee wages.

The company also said that it is considering the sale of its Lane business and has received several "indications of interest" from potential acquirers.

Shares of Furniture Brands fell almost 47% to close at 30 cents Monday. Its stock value has been falling fairly steadily since 2002, when it was trading at nearly $300

Reactions: Mikey P

Ed Valentine

Name
Ed Valentine
Just wait

Mikey;

If we think that's bad news (and it is), when the Fed stops pumping money into this economy shortly, watch interest rates go up which means another crunch on the housing market; mortgages; other borrowing...................................and so on.

Our so called Leaders have lead this country and the hard working people over the cliff.

too bad.:hopeless:

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Thomasville made nice stuff does that indicate those high end clients aren't spending money? Maybe?

Also though we cleaned 3500sq/ft and 48-steps at a home yesterday, so some people are still purchasing cleaning.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Almost all of the furniture made by these "American" manufacturers has been made in China for several years. By allowing Chinese makers to build their branded furniture they also gave engraved invitations to to those factories to make almost identical and even cheaper copies, so now they can't compete with their own stuff. The American worker's jobs are long gone, so today there's absolutely no reason to feel sorry for these front companies or their management. They're the reason an entire industry is almost gone.

Here's an example of a company that makes furniture, profitably, in the US. No lazy dinosaurs in management here:

[video=youtube;i57CZMUTwvo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i57CZMUTwvo&list=PLmpN-knTpkQaJVX5H1Ah9qFcUW6rMu8mh[/video]

Reactions: Jeff Madsen

Brian H

Name
Brian H
Almost all of the furniture made by these "American" manufacturers has been made in China for several years. By allowing Chinese makers to build their branded furniture they also gave engraved invitations to to those factories to make almost identical and even cheaper copies, so now they can't compete with their own stuff. The American worker's jobs are long gone, so today there's absolutely no reason to feel sorry for these front companies or their management. They're the reason an entire industry is almost gone.

Here's an example of a company that makes furniture, profitably, in the US. No lazy dinosaurs in management here:

[video=youtube;i57CZMUTwvo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i57CZMUTwvo&list=PLmpN-knTpkQaJVX5H1Ah9qFcUW6rMu8mh[/video]

I must be working too much.. I was watching for OSHA violations in the video!!! I did see at least one serious violation.

packfancjh

Name
Chris Hagen
Thomasville made nice stuff does that indicate those high end clients aren't spending money? Maybe?

Also though we cleaned 3500sq/ft and 48-steps at a home yesterday, so some people are still purchasing cleaning.

Thomasville looked like nice furniture but it was actually made very cheaply. In my furniture repair days I hated going to T ville service calls because the stuff was just junk and repairs were almost impossible to complete to the customers liking.

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
i jus bought a flexsteel floor model.....
fo a hunnert...my last one lasted right at twenty years.....
i'm tickled to death...they're made about five miles from my house!
couch.jpg

Last edited:

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Thomasville looked like nice furniture but it was actually made very cheaply. In my furniture repair days I hated going to T ville service calls because the stuff was just junk and repairs were almost impossible to complete to the customers liking.
We have a dining set that's held up nice but then we don't use it regularly, just holiday dinners and such. I like the design and the craftsmanship. I think they tried to offer both ends of the spectrum and yes cheap is cheap no matter who's name is on it. They should have used a second name for the other price points, that's what most others do.

Charlie Lyman

Supportive Member
Name
Charlie Lyman
Not all cheap furniture is made in China..... I was out of work when I lived in SoCal. They had an Ashley warehouse where they made furniture. I went in to get an application and it was in Spanish:eekk:.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom