lets pretend LB and HM shut their doors..

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
was taken aback 2007ish? Doing a tour of vineyards in Washington state.

They had large propane tanks feeding several frost fighting windmachines. The tanks had kerosene belly pans they lit up to keep the vapour levels up.

If a tank got too hot there was a massive flare out the top from the relief valve, all the tanks were covered in soot and had paint burned off 😳
Soot? I know all about soot. Having a diesel fired burner is a soot factory.

51EE5381-366A-4E12-A1DC-1FC82C1AC113.jpeg

Kenny Hayes

Name
Kenny Hayes
Even if Legend Brands and Hydramaster were still around, I would buy the Steam Way Powermatic Legacy 2200. There was a time a few years back when I wasn’t so sure, but since Dave Nalley took ownership of Steam Way International about a decade ago, the company is on solid ground now and for the future.
View attachment 93747
My wife and I took a road trip this month. Went to Denver for an Akita specialty dog show, Rocky Mountain National Park, then off to Wyoming to Yellowstone. We stayed in Jackson Hole where Steam Way International is located. Dave took us out to eat and also gave us a tour of the facilities. Found out he has an extensive inventory of parts for the equipment and no debt. Beginning with his dad the Nalley’s have been associated with Steam Way since it was Saniclean back in 1967. Dave also runs a cleaning business. His success in a town of 10,000 with 20 cleaning companies would make any of us jealous. He knows his stuff.
View attachment 93748
Anyway, I really like that Legacy 2200. Quality built and now more technician friendly. Listening to Dave talk about all the build features was fascinating.
View attachment 93749
It’s not just the equipment that one is purchasing. For someone who wants to be successful, the info that is shared is free. :)
My partner and I just returned from that trip to Denver and to Yellowstone. We too stayed in Jackson Hole and then in Cody. This was our first time at Yellowstone. One of the best trips ever. Great minds think alike.

SamIam

Name
sam miller
and you need a new slide in...

You have TCS, Amtex, ChemTex, Steamway, Steam Action, Cobb, ElDiablo Blue Baron, Reliabuilt and Judson to choose from

Do you want a HX or Propane?

Personally, I think I'd go with the Reliabuilt
New advertiser? Someones already selling they’re filters.

But yeah maybe it’s a cheap option.

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
Anyway to fix that?
The igniter went out. Has a new burner now with new igniter. What would happen is the pump would spray diesel into the the burner, the igniter would go "Click Click Click" and nothing would happen. so I would go in with a hammer and go "Tap Tap Tap" on the igniter and BOOM it would light. Clouds of wonderful black smoke would come bellowing out of my van. People driving by would stop in the street and ask me if I needed to have the fire department called. I would reply, "No, i'm okay. It's just a normal day".

Hack Attack

Name
Dan
The igniter went out. Has a new burner now with new igniter. What would happen is the pump would spray diesel into the the burner, the igniter would go "Click Click Click" and nothing would happen. so I would go in with a hammer and go "Tap Tap Tap" on the igniter and BOOM it would light. Clouds of wonderful black smoke would come bellowing out of my van. People driving by would stop in the street and ask me if I needed to have the fire department called. I would reply, "No, i'm okay. It's just a normal day".
does it burn reasonably clean now?

the only diesel burners I've seen operating were on pressure washers, they seemed clean enough but were on trailers not in vans

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
does it burn reasonably clean now?

the only diesel burners I've seen operating were on pressure washers, they seemed clean enough but were on trailers not in vans
Yes, its all good now. I made a video of how to repair the igniter, but i'll spare you guys. basically I had a faulty coil and when it decided not to work, it became an issue.

SamIam

Name
sam miller
Yes, its all good now. I made a video of how to repair the igniter, but i'll spare you guys. basically I had a faulty coil and when it decided not to work, it became an issue.
But who builds the diesel heater? Amtex?

scotty747

When my transformer went out it did the same thing. sprayed diesel and soaked the coils. Went to the basement and stole one off an old oil furnace. Still works. Cleaned it as best I could but mostly had to burn all the extra fuel off. If it smokes during use usually the air bands need adjusting.

Loren Egland

Name
Loren Egland
I have run the same fuel oil burner type for over 40 years. I normally use kerosene rather than diesel. Seems to be cleaner burning, at least I don’t get the soot like on the red machine pictured. The engine exhaust probably gives off as much pollution as the burner.

I have never run propane. Kerosene is less explosive, has more heat, and I can pump it myself. On the other hand, gasoline is also explosive. Don’t we all run our engines one gas? :)

Reactions: Cleanworks

Fat Mike

Name
Mike G

Investigators say yes — it happens more often than you think. There are 7,000 gas grill fires every year, according to the National Fire Prevention Association, many from leaking propane.

:winky:

That’s a very low number compared to the amount of propane grills in homes though.

Obviously the ratio would be different concerning food trucks and propane heaters for carpet cleaners.

I think Phoenix used too run a lot of city vehicles on propane at one point

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
I still wouldn't buy a slide-in. Probably move to a Cleanco.

there must be countless bbq explosions across the USA... strangely I've never heard of them?
The owner of a competitor spent time in the hospital after his BBQ grille exploded. No mention of it anywhere, we heard through the industry grapevine. A barbecue explosion probably isn't sexy enough to make the news unless you're in a tiny town or a lot of people get hurt.

F

FB7777

My neighbor fried his nose and all his eyebrows this summer from his grill

Happens way more than people wish to admit

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
We ran propane in da oldin days....

Me and my brothers would "Rock, Paper, Scissors" as to who was going to light them.

It's sure nice to have eyebrows and hair back on the arms :biggrin:

But people run it and ok with it.

I am super happy with our heat exchange units vs "Click....click...……..click...……………...click.....WOOSH" :lol:

Bob Savage

Name
Bob Savage
Here's a BIG reason why I am sold on propane heaters. First of all, they produce mega heat if you need it, and when you don't, turn down the temperature dial. The ones that we use do not need anyone to start and light the pilot - they are automatic.

You arrive at the job, setup your equipment, throw 3 switches to ON (1 switch for the heater. 2 for the truckmount), and start the motor of the truckmount.

When finished, we turn the heater switch to OFF, wrap up the hoses, and continue to the next job.

REPEAT...

Last edited:
Reactions: Larry Cobb

Brian H

Name
Brian H
Back a long time ago working for another company I lost all the hair on one of my arms lighting a little Giant on an old HM slide-in. I also once got blown out the back door of the truck as well. We had more than one crew run out of propane on a job and had to finish with cold water. Also had issues with the propane distributor from time to time.

That's why I LOVE Butler. Plenty of heat and no need to refill propane every few days.

DAT

Name
Bill Cheryl
I thought diesel was no near the flash point of propane, safer as a result. It needs to be 126°f to start forming vapor to be flammable.

ronbeatty

Name
Ron Beatty
I had a diesel heater for supplemental heat on the last Aerotech. It was the same one that is used on the ElDiablo, great heat very easy to operate. It was made in Europe by a company called Lavarwash. Great heater.

randy

Name
Randy
You forgot Baneclene.

Personally I would buy a Bane off eBay for $3,000-4000 and upgrade it with a propane heater and 300 psi pump.

nah actually I would throw in the towel and call the Bosley behind the angels at Trinity Renewal systems and order a Spider or Champ.

• Wow
Reactions: Kenny Hayes

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom