lets take a walk..

Mikey P

Administrator
that bearing up above decided to start walking it's way out a year or so back.

Grease was leaking around the dust cap so my whitey fix was to apply JB Weld over the cap. That held for a year. Then the grease started oozing out from cracks in the Weld.

More Weld did nothing so I popped the cap to find the bearing half way off the shaft.

I tapped it all the way back but in no time at all it started walking again.

Bearing is smooth as silk and does not appear to be egg shaped. Not really sure why it's moving.

I have a new replacement blower on the shelve but I'm not ready to give up on this 5900 hour unit so I tapped that set screw in, put a ABS home made sleeve that sits between the outer race and the back of the new dust cap AND tapped in some 1/4 bolts to hold the cap on instead of those wimpy little pins that come factory..

photobucket-5342-1331828877919.jpg

photobucket-1642-1331828891155.jpg

The bearing seal on the drive side is getting replaced today.

...just call me Nell-os for short. :shock:

Charlie Lyman

Supportive Member
Name
Charlie Lyman
Interesting.
Before I got into this business I wouldn't touch a motor. I could fix anything on a house, but the car..... forget it.
Now I find myself fixing stuff on the machine all of the time. Between Google and this board, I can fix it.

Jimbo

Nice fix...innovative.

You know the hydroforce works really good for spraying off grease-laden equipment...

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
correct me if I am wrong...but that bearing should be pressed on....

when it is warming up it is walking off..when it is cooled down...he is pounding the hell out of it to get it back on...
so this is telling me that the inter race has egg shaped and when it gets hot the metal is expanding..and it is slipping off....when it cools the metal is contracting and it tightens back up....

could be those little bearings are worn out and it is not as ridged as it use to be so it is doing the same thing....

all your missing is that #3 nerf football..........

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
if you take a prick punch...(hehehehehehehe)...and tap close to the edge all around it will shrink the opening as well...
ohh ya... do this AFTER you install the bearing wit the loctite....!

Mikey P

Administrator
The bearing never came all the way out and I can't pull it out so no Loctite..

Any tips on pressing in the sleeve/cap that goes around the pulley shaft?

Name
BradFenstermaker
Hey Mike if you havent done it yet use PVC pipe as close to the diameter of cap you can fine. Get flat 2x4 piece of wood to tap the PVC with a hammer.

Try to tap the cap in even as possible so you make sure it not crooked.

New bearing from Motion Industry or any industrial bearing shop will have the Seals and Bearings you need.

Lockheart explained to me that not all bearing are created equal though.

My 59 is on its second set now. Spare is gonna go in soon.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom