LG 3ht heat

Louis

Supportive Member
Name
Louis
So I just got a pc ti wand with 02 jets on it. My lg3 is not able to keep up with the heat. how much flow can you run on this heater? I still need to descale it and clean the jets to see if I can get anymore out of it.
This is my first lg heater and I got it used so I don't know what it should do. I know it's better than a pto.

Thank you

Name
Jesse
2.5 gpm = a 60° Rise in temp; 1.25gpm = a 120° Rise. So if your tap water is 70° you've got 190[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]° at 1.25 gpm which is probably 4-6 flow depending on your pressure and cleaning style. My opinion is that a #3 LG needs to have preheated water.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]You could also adjust your temp (against LG recommendations) up to about 250 so that your starting high and falling rather than never getting very hot in the 1st place.[/FONT]

Shane T

Name
Shane Tiegs
Depends what your duty cycle is but I can get 220 atm with 10 flow. You won't know anything till you clean the burner.

Louis

Supportive Member
Name
Louis
How do you de scale a little giant? I used to do it to my pto all the time. Do you pour it in and let it sit cold and flush it out?

Shane T

Name
Shane Tiegs
I've never done it. I have only ever used either conditioned water with the "Forever" water conditioner or soft water.

Name
Shawn Forsythe
Have you tested the burner pressure?

Quite a few people don't know that their propane regulators are setup for near zero restriction between it and the gas valve on the heater. For most installations, this is not the case. Plumbing, elbows, distance and undersized hose make for a tremendous pressure drop, resulting in radically diminished performance of their heater.

You connect a manometer to a port located on the gas valve and measure the pressure when the burner is firing. Your gas regulator has a screw cover for the adjustment mechanism which is screwed in to adjust the pressure upward to compensate for your supply plumbing restrictions. You can only go so far though. You may have to remove some of the restrictive plumbing and solve the problem with a redesign of the supply plumbing.

8 oz/sq in (13.82" water) is the desired burner pressure. Also make sure the regulator is rated for at least 120,000 BTU for #3 HT.

Too low (or too high) of a burner pressure results in a sooty flame. The soot compounds the performance issue of poor pressure by coating the coil in an insulating barrier.

Reactions: Scott Rogers

Louis

Supportive Member
Name
Louis
I just put on a new regulator form cobbs and it only has one elbow. I will find a manometer and check. I noticed I have a lot of soap in the coil. I got this one used. I only run water through it.
Can you use descaler in these and not hurt the coils ?

Name
Shawn Forsythe
Certainly you can run a descaler that won't hurt the coil. I would suggest using either Prochem's or Hydramaster's product as they are both very safe for the copper. An conventional acid descaler would be faster, and more complete, but in unskilled hands, can be detrimental to the life of the coil.

joeynbgky

Supportive Member
Name
Joey
Have your jets cleaned, descale and adjust your temp knob to factory setting. U should not be running out of heat. The more flow u have the hotter the lg will get.

Samsung galaxy S 4

Louis

Supportive Member
Name
Louis
What should my flame look like if the jets are good. The guy said he just cleaned them. I was thinking of buying a new burner to start fresh.

Shane T

Name
Shane Tiegs
If the jets are restricted the flame will be small and weak. Not all of the jets will be the same. I seriously doubt you need a new burner. They're not cheap.

Louis

Supportive Member
Name
Louis
Well I cleaned all of the jets. Many were plugged. Descaled it an flushed until it ran clear in a bucket. Then I put on a 1/2" gas line like it says on the lg site. Wow crazy heat at 12 flow. When it kicks on now it sounds like a jet. I was used to it sounding like home hot water heater. Scared me when it came on like that.

Louis

Supportive Member
Name
Louis
Did 2 jobs today and it made a huge difference in cleaning. When I keyed the wand I could almost count to 3 before water came out. It really would be steam cleaning if I ran 01 jets.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom