LICE in CARPET

Shorty

RIP
Name
Shorty Glanville
I have a customer who's carpet, rugs & upholstery I have been cleaning for over 20 years.

Got a call from her yesterday regarding a LICE problem in the carpet.

Seems her husband had to go to a mine site for a week and came back with these lice which are now in the carpet.

This is the first time I have heard of this, I asked her if they are bed bugs, but she say's they are more like head lice that kids get at school.

I suggested she get a pest controller in to fumigate the house first, then I can clean the carpets.

My thoughts are that the hot water may incubate any unhatched eggs, then she will need the pesty; back again for a final treatment.

Any thoughts or ideas on this one please.?

Shorty.

mirf

Supportive Member
Name
David Mirfin
What about cleaning first getting the live ones, then treatment and reclean in 30 days.

Name
Shawn Forsythe
Consult with the pest control people and ask them for guidance. They may want you to clean first, as the process they use may use a residual designed for extended treatment. David's suggestion might also be an option, but you won't know until you ask.

I had a customer call me today for a flea control product we used to sell. I told him that by default, he should clean first. But he reasoned that he didn't want to "experience" the jumping fleas while on the job. It was then I directed him to consult with the pest control company, for direction. I indicated that we used to sell a product made for carpet cleaning, but no longer did, because we had two customers (cleaners), get into trouble with authorities who accused them of being unlicensed pest control operators. It's interesting here in California. It's not illegal for me to sell the stuff, and it's not illegal for the CC to buy it, or even to use it on his own home. But if he/she uses it professionally, a license is required.

It makes sense, as I also know that most of the people who used to buy the stuff from us, did not use the product correctly (proper dilution). In essence, they were performing the very act that licensing helps curtail, improper use, leading to incomplete performance.

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
I cleaned my way INTO the place, ie, started at the front door and worked my way in vs pulling everything to the farthest point and working out the door. For fleas, the steam cleaning will encourage the eggs to hatch, until they hatch its difficult to kill them. Once they hatch, they're vulnerable. So after steam cleaning then apply a flea control spray with a residual effect, so when the eggs hatch they're toast.

mirf

Supportive Member
Name
David Mirfin
Shorty,
do you have the same type of laws about exterminating down there?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom