lines on couch cushions

glenboy

Name
GLEN
customer called and said these lines wont go away on the seat and back cushions of her couch, this is an older sectional that has a heavy material and feels like a courdoury. she also said it took forever to dry.i have never had this problem so i am wondering if a brass carding brush and a spraybottle will get me out of trouble :idea:

glenboy

Name
GLEN
not goin back till tuesday, if i dont solve this problem the only pic posted is gonna be my obiturary pic. i know what the prob is i used to much vac and my tool left lines.i have used a detail tool for years and will be buying a saphire uph tool real soon but for now i need help getting these lines out. i believe i can mist with a acid rinse in a spray bottle and brush them out
:oops: :oops:

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
glenboy said:
customer called and said these lines wont go away on the seat and back cushions of her couch, this is an older sectional that has a heavy material and feels like a courdoury. she also said it took forever to dry.i have never had this problem so i am wondering if a brass carding brush and a spraybottle will get me out of trouble :idea:

I've had the same problem with the same fabric; leaving tool marks that set when it dried. Just rewet the fabric. I misted a qt of warm water with a dot of Rinse Master and a dash of acidic acid, then carded with brush and toweled and repeated as needed. Blow a fan as you do it to dry the fabric (and dry your sweat beads as the old bat stares at you). It actually takes time and effort to correct.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Basically any upholstery product that contains a water softener (and most do) most rinses are on the acid side which may remove more residue.
And if re cleaning, clean moving the tool with the direction of the nap.
Brush opposite side and as it dries final brush with nap.
Sometime before brushing again with nap you can brush 90 degrees and than with nap.

Good luck.

In which news paper should we read the obituary?
Or will it be on this very board? :p

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Lee Stockwell said:
My white towels don't leave lint.
That's because you're still using the same towel you've started with in 1943, Lee.
It's must be a miracle it is still holding up.

Are there any pilgrimages in KY to see that towel? :p

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
Corduroy is supposed to have lines!

If just rewetting with a rinse product doesn't do the job, use this formula in a qt spray bottle. Apply a heavy mist and wipe with a lint free towel. Works great on natural fabric and OK on most synthetics.

1 1/2 to 2 ounces of Fabric softener. Use one that doesn't have lot of dye added.
16 ounces (1 pint) of IPA / rubbing alcohol from the drug store
fill with water, soft water works better.

Magic One

I test the back of the couch, if it leaves lines and I can,t get them out I ask my customers if they want me to continue.

GRHeacock

Assuming she is right about taking a long time to dry, I also assume the fabric is 100% cotton, rather than a synthetic material.

That said, I recommend using Scott W's formula going in.

Have 2 quart spray bottles made up before you get to the house.

1 of plain water, and try that first.

Depending on results, if it works on a test area, continue.

If it does not work, or works slowly or badly, switch to Scott's formula and continue.

Another benefit of Scotts formula is it will leave a nice fresh smell I am sure the customer will like.

(Disclosure- I used this kind of formula many times on natural fabrics for best results)

Gary

glenboy

Name
GLEN
went back yesturday and the lines were ugly as hell,so i started off using the spraybottle with dist water and that worked on all of the cushions then the arms and back were stubborn so i tried scotts formula and it worked really well, i spent 1.5 hrs brushing thios couch out, and it looked great when i was done i also used a soft brass brush ( thank you tom @ modernistic) and a velvet carding brush and they both did their share. thank you all for the help my custy is very happy somewhat amus

GRHeacock

Glen-

This is how you get to be an expert that charges top prices.

Everything is on a learning curve, and now you know to run your Truck Mount on idle when cleaning furniture, not carpet full speed, because you only need a small amount of water/solution and low heat.

Always carry a finishing brush of some kind, and never use a carding brush for velvet or chenille.

I suggest a horsehair brush rather than a nylon brush, because you can use horsehair on all fabrics.

Gary

lance

A horse hair brush sounds great because it is soft and flexible.

How about a microfiber towel going with the grain? I have heard others talk about a white cotten towel but that would leave lint behind, wouldn't it?

glenboy

Name
GLEN
@ gary. i always clean furniture on low idle.i believe i started doing that @ 1994 or so. i believe the 47 roots blower would make a mess of a piece of furniture on hi speed, so dont try it yourself. my biggest mistake was not brushing it out. !gotcha! !gotcha!

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink
lance said:
A horse hair brush sounds great because it is soft and flexible.

How about a microfiber towel going with the grain? I have heard others talk about a white cotten towel but that would leave lint behind, wouldn't it?

Put a finger indent in a velvet piece once, and let me know how well that works for you.

S

sam miller

If it doesnt budge with Scotts tip re steam it lightly with a all fiber rinse and brush out with a towel setting the nap all one direction.

Goodluck. I had one do this a while back was successful fixing it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom