Little help on pricing

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
You bet I'm serious. The more they spend the happier they are and the bigger smile on their face when they write that check.

Are custom sport car buyers happier than compact car buyers?

It's a choice.

Some clients like cleaners because they are cheaper and some clients like cleaners because the charge more.

Most clients that have been around the block a few times know that cheaper may be the lesser value of the two.

Dude CC and buying a car are 2 TOTALLY different things.....hell buying a toilet and buying a TV are 2 TOTALLY different things....

And I sure as hell aint happy to be throwing out money at any of them...

IF...and its a big IF...you are lucky enough to find a client willing to pay some jacked up price and be happy about it...then good for you...

on the flip side....there is that same small amount who bitch about the pennies they spend....(at least like the above...I havent found many)

Most people just want what we all want....VALUE...and for everyone it is different...

I had 1 lady (and she was not well to do) who was moving and just going to get a rug doctor, but ran out of time.....So her son got on his phone and tracked me down via the web on his phone (said i was top listed :clap:)

talked about price, told me the budget she had, and I said "i gotcha ill do ya right" Some areas were nasty...and a few bedrooms had just a few small spots....so i just poked in and cleaned them.....

Anyway, she was happy as hell couldnt believe how good they looked, and gave me a tip ($20 on $150 job) And i think i will be hearing from her and some of her friends down the road.....

oh and a cleaning lady was there (friend of the family) and she was impressed to.....

point is I didnt mug her on price...through a little extra in....AND THEN SHE WAS HAPPY GIVING ME THE CASH...

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
Dude CC and buying a car are 2 TOTALLY different things.....hell buying a toilet and buying a TV are 2 TOTALLY different things....

And I sure as hell aint happy to be throwing out money at any of them...

IF...and its a big IF...you are lucky enough to find a client willing to pay some jacked up price and be happy about it...then good for you...

on the flip side....there is that same small amount who bitch about the pennies they spend....(at least like the above...I havent found many)

Most people just want what we all want....VALUE...and for everyone it is different...

You seem to be equating value with low price. The two often have nothing in common.

If low price was all that matters. Then cleaning prospects should just call down the list of 50 cleaners and go for the lowest price.

I can tell you that geting a low price is often near the bottom of a long list of what a client really wants from a carpet cleaner.

Trust , honesty, quality work, guarantee, proven good track record, upfront pricing, uniformed techs, lettered vans.... are all more important than price to most clients.

Clients just mention price because they don't know what else criteria to use the seperate cleaners.

It's your job to take price off the table.

And yes I do have clients that pay more and they are very happy for it. It's not luck that makes it happen. It's the way you treat and direct the client from the beginning that makes it happen.

BTW: Your TV and toilet analogy makes no sence)

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
sure it does...they are 2 different things....

both have different value placed on them.....

guess what i am perfectly happy and satisfied with my $99 toilet i found at Sams, club....find more value in it, then if i would have spent $300 on one...

Same with TVs, the "value" of my steal of a deal $200 for my 42" is huge...because I dont need (maybe want) all the bells and whistles that the same size (not MFG) at almost $1000 affords me....

this whole argument goes back to the ONE main thing WHERE DO YOU LIVE...

just because this one couple found me online....Liked my family and said i did a good "sales" job on the phone....DOES NOT mean i could have told them what ever for a room price, and they still would have hired me....

It just dawned on me.......why am i arguing with someone who has clients that spend an "avg" of what was it???? 30-40 hrs a week on their yard:hopeless::hopeless:

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
Does it take longer to clean using one of those rotary tools?

If so, charge more.

yup a little bit...but it allows me to clean more with out being to tired....so there is the yin to your yang....

for me

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
and your confusing it the other way....thinking everyone wants to pay more because it some how magically makes it of more value

To me a lower price for something i want is of value.....

now smart phones on the other hand...yes i wanna be 1st to get 1...HOWEVER...I WILL NOT PAY RETAIL FOR IT.......i dun give a shit if it takes a shit for me....i just wont

GCCLee

Supportive Member
Name
C. Lee
Im kinda shocked it went to page 2 :hopeless:

It is a HELL OF ALOT EASIER to lower a price than raise one if needed. Choose your weapons wisely is all I can say.

Barry-QDCC

Supportive Member
Name
Barry Rhoads
You still are confusing low price with value.

Just because you are happy with a $99 toilet doesn't mean everyone would be.

They might value this one head over heals over yours.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=R8jCP_-oBgQ#!

I think you are confusing knowledgeable customers who understand that an advertised price of say...$69 for 5 rooms isn't going to be a good job done. They know it will be a bait and switch situation. They know they have to pay more than that to get a good thorough cleaning. So yes they want and expect to pay more than the $69.00. But that doesnt mean that if you would clean those 5 rooms for $200 that they's be even happier to pay $300 for the same thing.

If that the kind of customers you have - great for you- but they are as stupid as the people who believe a $69 cleaning job will be satisfactory.

Reactions: floorguy

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
They are happier when they KNOW they got great service for a great price, whether its a high # or not, but not feeling like they've been ripped off. The "idea" is to have them as a REPEAT client not "rape them for as much as you can the first time since you'll never see them again"
If you do that with the latest tools or not doesn't make a difference. When they see an "excellent" result and they see you've taken effort to do it, whether that be physical or mechanical, then they are happy to pay that higher price. But if it looks "ok" and you've barely been there an hour, they might be smiling on the outside writing that cheque, but they're cringing on the inside.

Reactions: floorguy

Mardie

Name
Mardie VanBree
You still are confusing low price with value.

Just because you are happy with a $99 toilet doesn't mean everyone would be.

They might value this one head over heals over yours.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=R8jCP_-oBgQ#!

Are you confusing price shoppers with value shoppers.BIG DIFFERENCE. If i could buy that super toilet for the same price as that cheap $99.00 toilet that is what i see as good value and put a smile on my face.
Or get a $300.00 carpet cleaning with all the time that is involved to perform a $300.00 carpet cleaning for $99.00.That is what i would see as a good value and put a smile on my face.
I would also see good value as getting 100% on every dollar spent.

Last edited:

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
Im kinda shocked it went to page 2 :hopeless:

It is a HELL OF ALOT EASIER to lower a price than raise one if needed. Choose your weapons wisely is all I can say.

Thats what I've done, much easier. You give them your best price for your best cleaning, then you can lower the price by lowering the service, bring it down to your competitions' level :winky:
This works a hec of a lot better than saying "I can "clean" it for this much with this method, OR I can get it "cleaner" by adding this machine for this much extra

Reactions: GCCLee

pinosan

Name
Martin
Thats what I've done, much easier. You give them your best price for your best cleaning, then you can lower the price by lowering the service, bring it down to your competitions' level :winky:
This works a hec of a lot better than saying "I can "clean" it for this much with this method, OR I can get it "cleaner" by adding this machine for this much extra

In other words

If you want me to leave your carpet dirty i'll charge this $XX.XX

If you want me to give you a show and really clean it I'll do it for this $XXXX.XX

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
In other words

If you want me to give you a show and really clean it I'll do it for this $XXXX.XX

No different than if you want the the dinner it wil be $

The appetiser and dinner$

Appetizer, mixed drink and dinner $

Or appetizer, mixed drink dinner and desert $

Let the client deside. Just like when you go out to eat or most anything else.

I call it ala-carte pricing and when I do the pre-inspecting I hand the client my cleaning menu.

This is not a cleaning business. It is a sales and service business.

Sales is easy when the cleaning menu and the client do it for you.

Last edited:

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug

I call it ala-carte pricing and when I do the pre-inspecting I hand the client my cleaning menu.

For you maybe...and if thats the case...then go sale cars...or something else...

people who are in a service biz and treat it as a sales call...PISS ME RIGHT THE HELL OFF

I have no problem throwing out the options....but when they do it in a sleazy way, or pushy like "you HAVE to have this" type attitude...it makes me mad....(i have yet to tell anyone off...but its getting damn close)

If i go to a place and say i just need A, E, U, M...and they start spewing the whole alphabet to me....I really want to say "DID YOU NOT HERE WHAT I WANTED??"

Mine is a cleaning business....you ask me questions, i answer them....you ask my opinion, then i give it....if i feel you need to know something I tell you, and let you decide....

so in short....IT IS NOT AN F'ING SALES BIZ........or shouldnt be

GCCLee

Supportive Member
Name
C. Lee

Out Flipping Standing !!

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
For you maybe...and if thats the case...then go sale cars...or something else...

people who are in a service biz and treat it as a sales call...PISS ME RIGHT THE HELL OFF

I have no problem throwing out the options...UM selling! Mine is a cleaning business....you ask me questions, i answer them...UM selling!..you ask my opinion, then i give it....UM selling!.if i feel you need to know something I tell you UM selling!., and let you decide.UM selling!....

so in short....IT IS NOT AN F'ING SALES BIZ........or shouldnt be

You just said you sell all the time. You just call it another name.

Last edited:

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
Giving info is not selling.....
selling is pushy...

like on monday....I have to go see a house, and find out if the smell they smell, is a general smell, or if there are areas that need to be treated....

going over there to shine my light, give the lady a few choices....and letting her decide IS NOT SELLING...in the sense of a sales person...

I am not going over there to try and blow shit up her skirt....i am going to offer a SERVICE IE look for pee spots....

and then she will tell me if she likes the price i put out there.....there again, something she asked for, and that i have made as simple as possible...here is the price for x....cuz i dont have a board like in the hamburger joint....

IN FACT THINKING ABOUT IT......

I hate when they always....would you like this or this......I get it they are SELLING....here again, i know what i want, quit distracting me....I order what i want....now some places dont have tomatoes on their burger (i know i know dont ask) anyway, when they ask if i would like one (because hey burgers should have tomatoes....there again dont ask) it lets me know they dont offer it in the deal already....and yes sometimes i view it as slimy sales tactic....PUT THE FOOKING TOMATOE ON THERE AND ADJUST YOUR PRICE BY .10...or what ever it is...

and yes i get mad when they ask about cheese and bacon at times to....
anyway.....

point being....when i go and i ask about an item....i dont see that as selling..that is them doing their job and giving CS.....when they try and add a bunch of different things in, to cloud the decision then i get mad...cuz that is the selling factor...

info answer....vs....trying to get me to get more shit

simple really

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
Giving info is not selling.....
selling is pushy...

like on monday....I have to go see a house, and find out if the smell they smell, is a general smell, or if there are areas that need to be treated....

going over there to shine my light, give the lady a few choices....and letting her decide IS NOT SELLING...in the sense of a sales person...

I am not going over there to try and blow shit up her skirt....i am going to offer a SERVICE IE look for pee spots....

and then she will tell me if she likes the price i put out there.....there again, something she asked for, and that i have made as simple as possible...here is the price for x....cuz i dont have a board like in the hamburger joint....

IN FACT THINKING ABOUT IT......

I hate when they always....would you like this or this......I get it they are SELLING....here again, i know what i want, quit distracting me....I order what i want....now some places dont have tomatoes on their burger (i know i know dont ask) anyway, when they ask if i would like one (because hey burgers should have tomatoes....there again dont ask) it lets me know they dont offer it in the deal already....and yes sometimes i view it as slimy sales tactic....PUT THE FOOKING TOMATOE ON THERE AND ADJUST YOUR PRICE BY .10...or what ever it is...

and yes i get mad when they ask about cheese and bacon at times to....
anyway.....

point being....when i go and i ask about an item....i dont see that as selling..that is them doing their job and giving CS.....when they try and add a bunch of different things in, to cloud the decision then i get mad...cuz that is the selling factor...

info answer....vs....trying to get me to get more shit

simple really

You have a lot to learn.

#1 proper selling is not pushy. Selling is just fulfilling your clients wants, needs and desires.
A professional finds out what their wants needs and desires are by simply asking questions. So, the professional can then help them out.

#2 You can't decide what your clients needs are for them. That is pushy and un-professional

BTW: Giving choices is 100% selling.

Last edited:

Connor

Name
Connor
A good deal is a state of mind.

A TOTO Washlet is cheaper, but the seat doesn't open for you, nor look as weird.

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
Well, its between that and a Trinity.

If both have a remote, which one should I get?
What? Toilets come with a remote now?? About time we can go to the bathroom by remote!:winky:

In other words

No, its more like, here's what it takes to really clean the carpet and here's what it costs.
If that's too much, I can skip a step and do it for $X less
Or I can skip another step and do it like everyone else and it will be $XX less.

Reactions: GCCLee

pinosan

Name
Martin
What? Toilets come with a remote now?? About time we can go to the bathroom by remote!:winky:

No, its more like, here's what it takes to really clean the carpet and here's what it costs.
If that's too much, I can skip a step and do it for $X less
Or I can skip another step and do it like everyone else and it will be $XX less.

sounds like and interesting and useful technique. Not for me though. I want to have clients who understand that cleaning is cleaning and there is only one way to be confident the carpet will be cleaner. By doing it properly, avoiding short cuts and it is not ridiculously cheap. We are slowly but surely getting successful at it. We (wiffy and I ) still broke CC's but we are beginning to see some light at the end o the road by doing this.

Able 1

Name
Keith
They are happier when they KNOW they got great service for a great price, whether its a high # or not, but not feeling like they've been ripped off. The "idea" is to have them as a REPEAT client not "rape them for as much as you can the first time since you'll never see them again"
If you do that with the latest tools or not doesn't make a difference. When they see an "excellent" result and they see you've taken effort to do it, whether that be physical or mechanical, then they are happy to pay that higher price. But if it looks "ok" and you've barely been there an hour, they might be smiling on the outside writing that cheque, but they're cringing on the inside.

With all due respect Ron you might be the least efficient cleaner in the world! I know you think your doing your customers right and they probably think so, but really how much of your time do you charge to your custy's that your are just over doing it or just not using your time wisely? Maybe the smiling that you are met with at the end of a job is that the custy is HAPPY that you are finally done?

I would put me and my helper against anyone as far as efficiency and we are in and out of lots of houses under an hour(not whole houses)WITH attention to detail..:winky: Hell we may only get out 90% of the soil(compared to you), but it will look and continue to look GREAT till the next time they call just the same..

All and all my service is my service, and I serve the hell out of my custies.. I have never changed how I clean for any reason, ever... I am up over 25% this year, and they keep referring me!

As far as pricing minimum is $89.00 and for that you get 2 rooms and a hall.. $115.00 for 3 rooms..

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
With all due respect Ron you might be the least efficient cleaner in the world! I know you think your doing your customers right and they probably think so, but really how much of your time do you charge to your custy's that your are just over doing it or just not using your time wisely? Maybe the smiling that you are met with at the end of a job is that the custy is HAPPY that you are finally done?

I would put me and my helper against anyone as far as efficiency and we are in and out of lots of houses under an hour(not whole houses)WITH attention to detail..:winky: Hell we may only get out 90% of the soil(compared to you), but it will look and continue to look GREAT till the next time they call just the same..

All and all my service is my service, and I serve the hell out of my custies.. I have never changed how I clean for any reason, ever... I am up over 25% this year, and they keep referring me!

As far as pricing minimum is $89.00 and for that you get 2 rooms and a hall.. $115.00 for 3 rooms..

I'd agree with you Keith, at least as far as the "efficiency" goes, but then, if I cleaned like you, I'd still be slower because I simply don't like rushing my work. You're the kind of cleaner I would want to know in my area. When I go in and quote them on cleaning the carpet, as Martin's goal is, and even if I bring my cleaning level down and its still to high a price for them, I like to know a good budget cleaner I can refer them. We both win.

Able 1

Name
Keith
I'd agree with you Keith, at least as far as the "efficiency" goes, but then, if I cleaned like you, I'd still be slower because I simply don't like rushing my work. You're the kind of cleaner I would want to know in my area. When I go in and quote them on cleaning the carpet, as Martin's goal is, and even if I bring my cleaning level down and its still to high a price for them, I like to know a good budget cleaner I can refer them. We both win.

Not sure you know how I clean... We don't rush, but anytime the wand isn't cleaning it's a waste to me, why shouldn't the wand be on the carpet, ALWAYS(in all fairness my helper and I are on the same page always)? You have an investment in your TM, so why would you let it run with nothing produced? As far as TM hours I expect with a 2 man crew $165 per TM hour no upsell. Are you saying I'm a budget cleaner because I don't wire up my computer to their house to print an invoice? I would guess that you would be running the same TM hours per money or maybe more? Not sure I would be so budget living up in where you are and everything cost sooo much... Well give it a year we got's us some Obama Care!

Vivers

Supportive Member
Name
Bill
There is a difference and yes it does take longer to use the rotary tool. Thats the only reason why we charge more to use it. If we could do the job in the same time I would maybe just raise our room rates a bit. But the difference is a Car Wash to a Detail. Some people want the wash and some want a detail. Or even better some areas really need the rotary like Family rooms, etc... You don't necessarily need to use it on the whole house.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom