Long-term Rug Storage

timnelson

Someone asked an interesting question the other day. If a rug is rolled and wrapped very carefully and placed in a clean, dry storage facility... how often (if ever) should the rug be opened up to inspect it?

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Properly wrapped and stored, never. The longest storage I've personally seen was 27 years - no problems.

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
So maybe I am OCD. My concern would be more about bugs than moisture. I would check every 12 to 18 months.

Of course, I can't see the point of putting a fine rug away from anyone enjoying it for years.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Scott,
If the rug is in paper or Tyvek and all the seams are taped, there's no place for bugs to get in. Mice might chew their way in, but there's no attraction for them.

Side note:
The 27 year stored rugs belonged to the family that started UPS here in Seattle. They had "retired" to start a charitable foundation, no longer needed a mansion, but wanted to keep their valuable rug collection. A law firm working for the family finally asked the heirs about this long-term storage; they were pretty excited to find their 'lost' rugs.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom