Loud knocking noise..

Npetersen

Name
Nick Petersen
My machine started making a loud knocking noise and shut off..
I turned it back on and it runs for a few minutes with a very loud knocking noise then shuts off.. Anyone have any ideas what happened? Or what I could do?

FredC

Village Idiot
Details on the machine?

but it sounds like the blower. Rebuild or replace.

Take the belts off and rotate it by hand ....see what noise it makes.....lobes hitting each other?

Npetersen

Name
Nick Petersen
It's a blue line champ.. A few months ago I had my seals replaced at my supplier here cuz it was leaking oil. Well apparently it didn't fix it cuz I guess it's been leaking oil and I think I blew my engine. I'm not blaming them because I should have noticed just want to get this taken care of for the least amount of money.
I don't know anything about engines, can this be rebuilt or am I just completely screwed? I'm really depressed about this so any help would be great!!

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
It's a blue line champ.. A few months ago I had my seals replaced at my supplier here cuz it was leaking oil. Well apparently it didn't fix it cuz I guess it's been leaking oil and I think I blew my engine. I'm not blaming them because I should have noticed just want to get this taken care of for the least amount of money.
I don't know anything about engines, can this be rebuilt or am I just completely screwed? I'm really depressed about this so any help would be great!!

i hate to kick a man when he's down..but you do know there is a dipstick on every engine to check oil, right??

don't know what engine they put in the Champ
but if an air cooled Kohler or Briggs , scratch up $1500 to a couple grand buy a fresh motor

"On the cheap", you might be able to find a POS Chinese engine of similar HP rating that will work too.
They sell for 1/2 as much and less for new

..L.T.A.

Doug Cox

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Cox
Ok, Old men, Why the F would a machine shut down due to a knocking blower????? I agree with Larry, engine issue.

Reactions: Able 1

mcatt

Name
Mike
I believe it's a liquid cooled 20hp or 21hp Kohler on those. How many hours does it have

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Not familiar with this engine or unit but some have a low oil pressure shut down switch. The engine could have been damaged by low oil level before the pump starved and shut the engine down due to low oil pressure. Engine knock, not blower knock. Unless..

Name
Lee Stockwell
While I agree that the engine is the likely culprit, the blower could have likewise made the loud noise and shut the machine down due to severe interference of the lobes.

The blower scenario would be much more likely in a typical well maintained machine than a motor meltdown.

If you KNOW you have a leak there is no excuse to not check and top off the oil EVERY time you use it.

cleanskin

Name
Rod Howgate
I have a champ...on my third engine now thinking about installing my forth soon...

It has a 20hp air cooled kohler running too hard all the time.

First engine developed an oil leak after 200 hrs, no one could fix it even under warranty!!

Second engine was installed by people I brought it off, they forgot to tighten the sump plug, half way through the first job, loud knocking noise then shut down(sound familiar).

Third engine replaced for free the next day, I installed radiator fan on the front to try and keep it cool, helped and lasted 1000 hrs before it developed the same oil leak which is still a mystery.

Kohler guy says these engines only last 2000 hrs max, plan to replace at that point in time.

Of course it depends on other factors like climate, quite hot and humid where I am.

Rod

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
Rod,

Ohhhh nooooo! I have a air cooled kohler command, mine leaks also and started at about 200 hours. ugggggggggg!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom