Love my V's

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
As Yogi Berra would have said: "This is deja vous all over again."

This should be moved to the "Mine is bigger. No mine is nimbler" room.

And........
Here is a little song I wrote
You might want to sing it note for note
Don't worry be happy
In every life we have some trouble
When you worry you make it double
Don't worry, be happy......

Ain't got no Vortex, ain't got no style
Ain't got no big truck to make you smile
But don't worry be happy
Cause when you worry
Your face will frown
And that will bring everybody down
So don't worry, be happy (now).....

Ryan

dealtimeman said:
why are you so determined to down play the significance or role of a big truck then?

anyone can see that they are going to work at the highest possible performance level you can work at.

I just don't want someone new to the biz reading this thread then going out and buying a Vortex thinking they need a $85,000 set up to suck dirt.

You can dress this business up all you want but all we do it suck dirt out of fiber

that is like saying , you need to have a car to get to work, i can ride my bike. i dont need a $20000 car to drive to work when i can ride my $69 huffy ten speed.

all the people who drive mercedes dont need them but they like the quality of the car and the performance that it provides.

NOBODY STARTING IN THE CARPET CLEANING BIZ SHOULD BUY A NEW BIG TRUCK!

Thats a stupid anology.

A better one would be I don't need a mercedes for a taxi service, a ford will work just fine. A mercedes will get the job done slightly better but will it make me any more money?

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
My machine has straight 4 inch from the blower to the tank and 4 in to the filter box. It easily feeds 2 hoses once choked by 2 wands. A vortex is still better. I just don't want to own a backup for a 100k machine.

Anybody notice how much better the board is with a vortex to talk about.

gene

ronbeatty

Name
Ron Beatty
Daniel, When my units were built that is how Blueline set the blower. I had some issues with the blowers, so I had new cradles made and corrected the angle, I also had new drive shafts and bearings installed.
100_1183.jpg
GetAttachmentaspx.jpg
DSC_0581.jpg

Ryan

Umm thanks for proving my point Ron..... lol

You had to fix a design flaw in a 100k machine.

ronbeatty

Name
Ron Beatty
Ryan, You are really starting to bug me with your incessant negative comments. You are young and inexperienced enough not to know that there is not a machine built that has not had an issue at one time or another. Every time you push the standard to a new level there is always going to be things that need to be made better or stronger. Are you related to James Cooper? !gotcha!

Ryan

ronbeatty said:
Ryan, You are really starting to bug me with your incessant negative comments. You are young and inexperienced enough not to know that there is not a machine built that has not had an issue at one time or another. Every time you push the standard to a new level there is always going to be things that need to be made better or stronger. Are you related to James Cooper? !gotcha!

Not that I know of.

Sorry that even after cleaning with the MIGHTY Vortex :roll: that I still think they are way over priced.

I know that every machine can have its problems... but exactly how many 8000Q prototypes did they have in the feild before selling your yours?

I'm young..... you payed 100k (twice) for an unproven model of a machine that essentially sprays hot water and sucks dirt. :shock:

Oh and then you brag about "making" $600 per hour on a job with no refference to the amount of men working or if that figure was a gross or net figure. :lol:

I will admit if the V has one redeming feature its those hose reels. I'm pretty sure those things could tow a small car out of a ditch. :lol:

ronbeatty

Name
Ron Beatty
Ryan, If you will go back to page 2, the 4th post down you will see that I did answer your question. My expenses for the trucks are paid during the week from 8am to 5pm. Jobs like this are bonuses.

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
Not to be a buttinski...but thats prolly the angle of the driveline....
they're always higher in the front....
any PTO type system has that angle!
UNLESS:

you can play wit the belts...that much!

ronbeatty

Name
Ron Beatty
Bob, I ask the manufacturer why they set the blower on the angle. My response was that they did not know, that is the way it had always been done. Tuthill's manual stated that the blower was to set level so that is what we did. The angle seemed to create some excessive bearing and seal problems. I have not had any issues with the blowers since it was corrected.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
dealtimeman said:
dude, get real.
YOU don't own the best equipment
you own a broke down, worn out, Venturi POS money pit with a 59 blower....

bob savage, i know this comment was not directed at me but i can promise you that two of my modified (simplified) v's will completly out perform any unit that you have. .

Bob didn't say that, I did

It was in reference to Cleaning Foo's statement about having the "best" equipment , not in reference to your and Ron's re-engineered TMs

as far as performance, mega mount performance is a niche market.
90+% of the cleaners out there don't need the capacity of the mega mounts.
The 10% that can utilize the capacity, more power to 'em.

If it fits your biz model, have at it
It's all good to me

..L.T.A.

Ryan

ronbeatty said:
Ryan, If you will go back to page 2, the 4th post down you will see that I did answer your question. My expenses for the trucks are paid during the week from 8am to 5pm. Jobs like this are bonuses.

My bad I stand corrected.

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
ronbeatty said:
Bob, I ask the manufacturer why they set the blower on the angle. My response was that they did not know, that is the way it had always been done. Tuthill's manual stated that the blower was to set level so that is what we did. The angle seemed to create some excessive bearing and seal problems. I have not had any issues with the blowers since it was corrected.
Again..i think that is the angle of yor driveline......any PTO will be on the SAME line.....I...would put it back....NOTICE the angle of the blower on my Genie...it is the same...
newgenie1.jpg

steve g

Name
steve garrett
ronbeatty said:

if you look exactly at just about any engine and how it sits in the engine bay in most vehicles it tilts backward, this also means the trans is angled backward or rather slighter downward in the rear of the trans, this makes it so its a straight shot with the driveshaft to the rearend. that would explain why the blower is tilted that way.

as for expenses you can't look at it "the expenses are paid during the week" I have a dodge pickup with less than 100k miles on it, its falling apart, I have spend 7k in out of pocket repairs getting it to 90k miles. I hadn't planned on buying a new truck but I need to it appears, so I have been doing a bunch of calculations and figuring what it will cost me per mile to operate a given truck, be it new or used or whatever, having to buy a new truck buying 2 new sets of tires for it and all the fuel and maintaince it requires is costing me over 10k a year, I personally think that is way too much money and I am trying to figure out a way to lessen that. I think we all should look at our machines the same way, it will cost this much to run this machine per hour. that way you know if you clean a whole house is it actually costing $70 bucks in equipment usage and depreciation fuel, repairs etc, or is it costing us $90 dollars to clean a whole house. with that said without even running the numbers a vortex is not going to be a cheap way to do it.

for 100k you can have 2 decked out vans with big slide ins installed, instead of 2 trucks only being at 2 places, you have 4 trucks that can be at one place or 4 places, its double the potential profit, if one vortex goes down you are at half the capibility if one van goes down you still have 3/4 of your operation. not to mention you can be more places and working at different locations.

add to that its a machine that is no longer made, you can't get parts for it, if one of your techs wrecks the truck how are you going to move it to a new truck. and who is going to do the work doing it even if it can be done, with all the new diesel regulations that are in place that restrict tampering with the exhaust. the fact is the vortex is a white elephant machine. those machines have likely depreciated to half their original value, half of 100k is 50k X2 is 100k in depreciation, its going to take a bunch of carpet cleanings as a bonus to pay for that. at the end of the day its how much money goes in your pocket, not how great you look doing it or how much power your machine has. frankly buying a vortex is a dumb business decision if you are in business to actually make money. I like the dave ramsey way, pay for everything in cash if you do that once you realize half your money is gone, you will not make that mistake again.

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
On all three of my trucks my blower sits level and on my first truck I have only changed the belts on time in two and a half years. Really didn't need to change them when I did it but it was preventative maintenance.

Ron you drivline is really beefy. How thick is that thing?

Can you take some pics of your complete pto drive line from the pto back, whenever you get a chance.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Richard, Everybody has a niche. I am a carpet cleaner that does a small amount of restoration. Most of my operating income is made cleaning carpet. I could buy more trucks and hire more people, or I can complete more work in a shorter period of time with the Vortex's. Plus it leaves an impression that is hard for another company to make. I am 50 years old and have been doing this since I was 16. 34 years at something gives you a pretty good idea of what works for you!!!!!!!.
Yep difference in models, however if we cleaned a lot of commercial I'd certainly consider that type of truck. Our total sales are less than 10% carpet cleaning, for us being more restoration than carpet cleaning, more trucks allows us to get to more homes.

I'm 51 and I've cleaning since I was 12, my dad would shampoo and I would vacuum before and after him. Very similar to you but just took a different path. :wink:

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
Although they make it a very easy industry to get into only some can achieve the level that Ron has brought his company up to....In all fairness the man should be commended on his company and for the time and effort that he has put into it to make it what it is today....Not ridiculed for the equipment that he has chosen to bring his company to where it is.......

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
i have always said if there is not someone trash talking you or jealous of you in one way or another you are doing something wrong. there will always be haters (hopefully) just let them hate and you keep going.

ronbeatty

Name
Ron Beatty
Bob, Your comment about the driveline is correct on a van install. On the Nissan UD and the Izuzu, the engine and transmission sit level.

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink
Ron,

I got a chance to see your V's at Winterfest in '09. Very nice! I can tell you take a lot of pride in them, and they're very well maintained, and taken care of. The drain plugs on the outside for fluid maintenance were very cool! I liked all of the stainless/diamond plating too. 8)

N

nwhmbiz

It is true that if not using the BIG TRUCK to its full potential is overkill, I learned that first hand.
We now run 1 50 ft 2.5 & 1 75 ft 2.5 with a 2 inch to the wands. The wands are a 5 jet greenhorn 10 flow & Ti 12 flow.
The amount of carpet we clean with 2 people cleaning is amazing! 3000 sf 2 story homes beautifully cleaned in 75 - 90 minutes.
1 AT allows us to clean 5 - 7 jobs a day residential only, and home before 5pm.

ronbeatty

Name
Ron Beatty
JD, We completed a large church yesterday morning, They appreciated the speed that we were able complete the job in, they wanted to get home to enjoy the 4th of July weekend 8)
DSC_0195.jpg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom