Lying lanlords

Louis

Supportive Member
Name
Louis
So I get a call from a guy asking me about a cleaning I did to a rental 2 weeks ago. He is the renter. He asks me why I charged $330 to clean and then said to replace the carpet. He said he was going to call 3 on your side news because the landlord is making up a bunch of stuff. I look up the invoice and I only charged $130 to clean 4 br and stairs. Never cleaned downstais. He shows me his invoice and she filled in the notes and white out the price.

So I called the lady told her I gave him a copy of the invoice and that his invoive was different and I did not write any of that. She tells me I can not give him that information says here lawyer. I told her she wrote on my invoice saying that my company said the carpet needed to be replaced and that I cleaned the bottom floor. She tried to threaten me with her lawyer because I gave this guy a invoice that only had here name on it and that she paid cash. The only address on it was the place he rented. She forged information on my invoice.

So was I wrong to give him the invoice since he had copy of a invoice from my company that did not match what I did and charged.

Thank You

Connor

Name
Connor
Usually , tenants get no copy, unless they are forwarding it to the landlord for reimbursement. I don't think you should have given the tenant a copy. I never do if they request one.

FLYERMAN

Supportive Member
Name
Ken Raddon
The fraud here was obviously perpetrated by the landlord and you did nothing wrong.

She never told you to NOT give the renter a copy did she?

Well if a renter is going to be responsible for charges it is retarded to think they are not going to go looking around for some answers.

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
I would have told the renter what I cleaned and what I charged but not given anything in writing.

The "contract" was between you and the landlord.

Let the TV station find out the truth.

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
That's a tuf one, Louis.

Technically speaking she is your client(if she's the one paying), not him.

Next time just say, Im not charging you, I'm charging her and leave it at that.

I agree, she's screwing that guy. I'd also be very pissed about someone messing w/our invoice just to screw someone.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Usually , tenants get no copy, unless they are forwarding it to the landlord for reimbursement. I don't think you should have given the tenant a copy. I never do if they request one.

so how would you handle it if the owner changes your invoice to show a higher price as well as writing in additional needs/recommendations and claiming YOU the "professional" wrote it??

..l.T.A.

Louis

Supportive Member
Name
Louis
He had already had called other cleaners asking questions about what I did and when I seen his invoice that had been altered was when I gave him my copy to prove I did not say the carpet was not able to be cleaned. I did not want him going after my business doing damage I could not undo. She should of never gave him my invoice and changed the amount and made statements in the technician notes box. If I get on the news and questioned I can not fix that. She is just some slumlord that everyone will forget about in 5 minutes.

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
Louis I would start pricing myself out of the slumlord market if I were you.

I had a couple that would call me for awhile and after doing some work for them slowly raised my prices and the calls stopped.

Working in bad parts of town and carrying a gun and knife let alone trying to keep a look out for my equipment just didn't make sense to me.

Louis

Supportive Member
Name
Louis
It was a nice house good neighborhood. I think she is in over her head. He had the carpet receipt and the date had been changed and that company confirmed that she had changed that receipt too.

mcatt

Name
Mike
Scumbag landlord IMO. No surprise though really. I would have told him but no supplied a invoice. Maybe a copy.

Connor

Name
Connor
so how would you handle it if the owner changes your invoice to show a higher price as well as writing in additional needs/recommendations and claiming YOU the "professional" wrote it??

..l.T.A.

He can claim all he wants, without a subpoena-na-na-na, it's na-da-da-da-da-da. I've had that request before from tenants who embellished what the landlord said and wanted a copy for invoices for repairs of things that they wrecked, they were just fishing to see if they had a leg to stand on in court. This particular landlord might have been a real countess, but the tenant hasn't established any right to know what price he gave her or anything like it. Although she spoiled the document by altering it, it's all hearsay at this point. She's using deception to leverage this guy for something unsaid.

Louis

Supportive Member
Name
Louis
All I gave him was a copy of the invoice. He produced a copy of my invoice first that that the only thing that was right was the name address and 4 br and stairs. The rest was forged and making statments thtaI didn't make. Why should I have to wait to defend myself until I'm in court while this guy drags my name through the mud for some $130 lying customer. She should of left every vendors name out of it if she planed on lying.

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink
..l.T.A.

That there lies the problem, it does look like shes trying to screw her tenant and make an extra buck. I understand that she has costs of doing business, its her obligation to charge the tenant what she wants for repairs. Had she had her own form stating what the charges of repairs were to turn around the property that's a diff story. But usually those details are written out in the lease agreement, and signed and agreed upon during the signing of the lease.

I'm not a lawyer but I don't see how she has any ground to stand on pursuing you, but she probably won't ever use you again.

Newman

Name
Chris Newman
I would not worry about the court under these circumstances. If that day comes, so be it. You did nothing wrong by the law. The real problem for you would be if the angry ex tenant dragged your company name all over the internet spewing the lie of the scumbag landlord. You did fine, carry on.

Reactions: Desk Jockey

SMRBAP

Supportive Member
Name
Anthony
Isn't it amazing how the scumbags of this world always seem to have a lawyer on the ready . . . . . .

More amazing is they seem to have the money to pay them, but never to maintain their own financial obligations / responsibilities. . . .

Louis

Supportive Member
Name
Louis
No I don't have the altertered invoice but I will call him and get a copy now. He was a nice guy. She is trying to screw him out of a $1600 deposit. The downstaris carpet was not in bad shape at all. some traffic areas but she said she was replacing it on the phone before I seen it.

She is not a real estate agent but she knows a lawyer. The guy told me she will threaten the lawyer thing. He had a huge list of text messages because she asked him to leave before his lease was up and then she changed her mind and played the lawyer card on him and told him he had to stay. She didn't know he kept all of the text messages since he rented it 2 years ago.
Idk why she gave him every receipt with the vendors name and# and try to take his whole deposit. I think there is a law about marking up the cleaning by 150% and replacing it after you said you had it cleaned. Why would you clean it and then replace it. He took lots of pictures and got other cleaner to looks at them. The only information I gave him that she didn't was the price.

I'm not worried about losing her as a customer.

Dan

Supportive Member
Name
Dan
She isn't going to do a damn thing but threaten you with a lawyer. 130.00 bucks isn't worth the fight that she knows she will lose. I would love the news to come visit me in that situation and find out the truth about me and my company and spread the word.

I had a lawyer and his lawyer father threaten to sue me on a water damage job I did. Kicked me off the job after two days and tried to tell me I created and spread mold everywhere. They also got there insurance involved and they were also saying it appeared I didn't dry it correctly so they brought in there preferred vendor. The asshole lawyers father payed my invoice on the spot and proceeded to tell me I would be getting sued by them. I happily told them they were both full of sh*t and both could go f*ck themselves. I promptly cashed there check and never heard a word from them ever. I was doing the job correctly but they just moved into this house and it flooded and they were just looking for someone to piss on and quickly found out it wouldn't be me.

SMRBAP

Supportive Member
Name
Anthony
Louis - I'd not worry one bit about being sued or hauled into court for anything. You have broken no privacy laws. Unless the landlord had you sign a non-disclosure agreement - tell her lawyer to go pound salt.

In my state, what the landlord did is 2 class d felonies - IC 35-43-5-16 (creation of false sales document) and IC 35-43-5-17 (delivery of false sales document - (unless the lease allows her to mark up repairs, and I have never heard of such a thing - it's theft/fraud).

The tenant could legitimately file a criminal report with the police, and if he feels like he may be going to small claims court would certainly be a great help if he did.

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
I don't think you did anything wrong. If anyone came up to me told me about an invoice that I realized was incorrect, I would correct them. If they produced a copy of an incorrect invoice I would provide a correct one, or at least tell them about it. One of the other benefits of printing out invoices right there, can't white it out and make it look legit

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
He can claim all he wants, without a subpoena-na-na-na, it's na-da-da-da-da-da. I've had that request before from tenants who embellished what the landlord said and wanted a copy for invoices for repairs of things that they wrecked, they were just fishing to see if they had a leg to stand on in court. This particular landlord might have been a real countess, but the tenant hasn't established any right to know what price he gave her or anything like it. Although she spoiled the document by altering it, it's all hearsay at this point. She's using deception to leverage this guy for something unsaid.

understood
but lets assume it's true ...she's using a YOUR invoice that she forged to say,

"see? this shows Coonor said this and charged this much"

to me this isn't about whether she has the right to charge whatever she wants.
The way I see that...It would be no different than me sub'ing you then adding my cut and billing the custy with MY invoice .

where the monkey sheeit comes in is when someone changes MY invoice to say and show something "I" didn't say or do

naw'mean?

..l.T.A.

Reactions: Desk Jockey

cu

Supportive Member
Name
Cu
In Ca he has a right to a copy of the invoice, and the cleaners contact info. in the rent market here the avg live of the carpet is 5 to 7 years in the courts eyes, which the landlord has to prorate if and when charging a tennent for replacement
if the tennent took the landlord to court now he would get his dep back in full

I do alot of inspections every year for prop mgt companies and send them an email with pics of what needs to be done to save the carpet or why we recomend replacement.
a copy is put in the desota file and sent to the tennent.

rick imby

Name
Rick
If I price myself out of the Slumlord business then I won't get to work in my own neighborhood....

Rick
Edit: Link removed.

Last edited by a moderator:

John Olson

Name
John Olson
As already stated their is no cleaner to customer privilege. Even if you had entered into some privilege with her she broke it by forging your receipt. You and the renter should contact the police and file charges against the scumbucket. The reason she does this is because people let her get away with it. Stand up for whats right and teach this hag a lesson.

Last edited:

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
No I don't have the altertered invoice but I will call him and get a copy now. He was a nice guy. She is trying to screw him out of a $1600 deposit. The downstaris carpet was not in bad shape at all. some traffic areas but she said she was replacing it on the phone before I seen it.

She is not a real estate agent but she knows a lawyer. The guy told me she will threaten the lawyer thing. He had a huge list of text messages because she asked him to leave before his lease was up and then she changed her mind and played the lawyer card on him and told him he had to stay. She didn't know he kept all of the text messages since he rented it 2 years ago.
Idk why she gave him every receipt with the vendors name and# and try to take his whole deposit. I think there is a law about marking up the cleaning by 150% and replacing it after you said you had it cleaned. Why would you clean it and then replace it. He took lots of pictures and got other cleaner to looks at them. The only information I gave him that she didn't was the price.

I'm not worried about losing her as a customer.

Not that you would want to pursue it, however you may have a much better case against her, as her falsifying a document may defame your business and or business practices, as well as misrepresenting your business.

Hopefully you can settle on one of her choice properties :icon_razz:

Last edited:

Charlie Lyman

Supportive Member
Name
Charlie Lyman
you did fine. The landlord gave them a copy of the altered invoice. That would be enough for me to give them a copy of the legitimate invoice. I would be amused to see the news get involved. Hopefully put that prop mgmr out of business.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom