Maintaining VCT in a church

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
I like stripping every 6 mths to once a yr...depending on whose doing what to the floor WHY you ask....

1. I now know the floor is "fresh" once again all the traffic areas, all the spills that soaked through are now gone, the floor is "like" new

2. To many ttmes i have seen "shiny dirt" and i just dont lke it...scrubs are ok, but me just dont make it look like i want it to.

3. plus stripping my own stuff off after this time, is candy work...easy as stripping a new floor..

steve frasier

Supportive Member
Name
steve frasier
there are way to many variables to determine when to strip no matter what finish you use, I have a couple of buildings where over several years I have never had to strip or recoat the 3rd floor but the first floor may need stripping 2X per year

if all you ever do is scrub and recoat over the years then I wouldn't want to be the one who has to strip all those coats of finish

Fon Johnson

steve frasier said:
there are way to many variables to determine when to strip no matter what finish you use, I have a couple of buildings where over several years I have never had to strip or re-coat the 3rd floor but the first floor may need stripping 2X per year

if all you ever do is scrub and re-coat over the years then I wouldn't want to be the one who has to strip all those coats of finish

Steve, I know we've been through this before, but.. We do this one once or twice a year anymore. I think we are at about every 9 months for a scrub and re-coat. We do a DEEP scrub with an aggressive pad and cleaner and reapply one coat. We will put on two coats if the scrub goes too deep. With what I save in not stripping, even if it has to be stripped twice, it'll work out in our favor. It is not a problem if done right. Besides, endura strip take the ishine off pretty easily. You do have to be careful though. I have stripped those nightmare floors scrubbed and re-coated monthly for years.. Ouch! You're also right about the frequency depending on the building. We do a brick plant that needs to be stripped every 12 to 18 months. The brick dust is murder.

Dougie.. Shiny dirt.. LOL A good finish will not yellow, and releases the dirt. The right scrub formula will make it look like it has been stripped. Will it be a little darker? Yes, it will. Nobody will notice though. I even tell our clients that the floor is a little darker and will lighten if they strip, but it looks so good they don't want to. We need to talk.. LOL

steve frasier

Supportive Member
Name
steve frasier
I hear what you are saying Fon. I am just reading what is written
Scrub and recoat as soon as possible and put down three more coats and

When some one says scrub and recoat, I think remove dirt and recoat. When I read the quote I think he has 7 to 8 coats of finish on the floor after a while

When you say scrub and recoat, I think partial strip and recoat

just a difference in the way you say it

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
Fon, how much more time do you think it takes to Strip your OWN stuff, the next time??? vs doing a scrub and recoat???

ok 1 coat vs 3...for me i still put 2 on when i scrub and recoat...

you still apply cleaning solution...

have some way to aggitate it...

detail out the edges some what..

suck it up...

rinse it...maybe during the suck

mop it good and clean one more time...

hummmm sounds like what i do to strip...

Remember I am not comparing a full bore, brand new acct, fix the other guys shit strips...I am talking after that is done, and you are stripping out your own stuff....

besides the $$$$ difference is lower on a scrub and for about an hr or so more, i can get more money...

Back
Top Bottom